• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Joking aside though guys, do you think time of day makes any diff------the fish are below the ice, in darkness all the time.

#22 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Joking aside though guys, do you think time of day makes any diff------the fish are below the ice, in darkness all the time.

i honestly dont when there is snow on the ice, when its glass i believe it makes a diff. yesterday all hookups came after 9 am too with the hottest action around 1pm ya never know just gotta get there early so you have more fishing time lol

#23 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

May not have anything to do with it but sure does make for a good excuse to the g.f to get a full day if fishing in lol.

#24 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

i honestly dont when there is snow on the ice, when its glass i believe it makes a diff. yesterday all hookups came after 9 am too with the hottest action around 1pm ya never know just gotta get there early so you have more fishing time lol

I'm just seeing if there is a correlation here. Moon rise was at 10:04am, moon transit was at 4:26pm, moon set was 9:53pm. This is set to Parry Sound, if memory serves me correct. If anything the moon rise had a greater effect then any other position. For your trip.

I like to check after the fact to see where the moon was when someone hit alot of fish. People who keep their own fishing logs usually say there is a correlation. I've just never seen it, but I don't keep a log.......lol.

Light still passes thru the snow and ice, but the intensity is greatly reduced. I think fish will still be able to tell day from night, if they are not very deep. But who knows if they have an internal clock.

Red thanks for posting the peak times. I wish everyone would do that in the future.

#25 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't think you can read much into the timing. Trout and salmon tend to rove around in schools looking for food rather than hanging around structure. So, as I see it, the timing of the bite is more related to when you find the fish, or perhaps more common, when they find you.

#26 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

This definatly seemed the case yesterday! As the bite was fast and furious for an hour. And just as soon as it started it was done. Unfortumatly for a couple of us we were not so lucky as we were fishing a seperate area..

#27 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Nice pics redneckchromer & CanadianAngler87 thanks for sharing I gotta get out ice fishing again soon too! :mrgreen:

#28 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Nice pics redneckchromer & CanadianAngler87 thanks for sharing I gotta get out ice fishing again soon too! :mrgreen:

We always enjoy company! Makes for cheap gas mileage. :D anytime you want to head out just let us know..wonder how they made out today?..

#29 chuckles

chuckles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

what a day! did some serious run nd gunning and tons of research and we were rewarded with some beautiful fish !! Fish were caught in 10-15 fow on minnows deadsticked either 2 feet off bottom or halfway up the water column.

wait!? I thought there wasnt any safe ice????

How far north are ya going from toronto 2-3 hours? thows making my mouth water cry gratz

#30 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

How far north are ya going from toronto 2-3 hours? thows making my mouth water cry gratz

It was approx 2h45min from milton..and yes they are veey tasty

#31 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

today was garbage, betweeen the 5 of us we had 2 missed hits no hookups all day lol

#32 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

thanks redneckchromer and canadianangler87 for posting and sharing, looks like you were rewarded with some niceeeee fish for your efforts congrats :mrgreen:

#33 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

I'll be in Haliburton Saturday, don't think I will have much time for fishing though. Going to bring my gear anyway, I have to at least test my new auger and fish for 5 min, gotta remember to bring my salties.

#34 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

. Unfortumatly for a couple of us we were not so lucky as we were fishing a seperate area..

So how many fish did you guys get among how many people?

#35 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

So how many fish did you guys get among how many people?

5 fish between 4 guys..only one guy got skunked, guess who? Lol :(

But they all got skunked yesterday! Only fish I caught were a couple "lunker" sized perch the size of my index finger..

#36 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

yep yesterday was painfully slow, ill take it as a sign to give the splake a break and hit a spec lake next time lol

#37 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

yep yesterday was painfully slow, ill take it as a sign to give the splake a break and hit a spec lake next time lol

Maybe you need to get there a bit earlier!Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Maybe you need to get there a bit earlier!Posted ImagePosted Image

how active are splake at night? :P i wanna do some night time ice fishing lol