Photo

Great week of steelheading but sad way to end it...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

To all my fellow steelheaders, it has been a great week on all tribs fishing for the fresh run of chrome.

Unfortunately this morning, when I was scouting the Credit River for fishing conditions to the warm up coming this Saturday, a female dog walker and myself were witness to a stranger taking his own life by jumping off the Burnhamthorpe Street bridge into the Credit River.

While she called 911, I was trying to find a way to rescue the stranger but my options were limited with the ice and slush forming on the river.

I originally thought he was a fellow steelheader and fell into the Credit.

I called out to him without any response. I extended my rod hoping he might be able to reach for it.

I thought of casting my line and hooking his jacket to get him to shore but with 6lb leader and #12 hook, that would have been futile.

I thought of wading into the river without my waders but that would have been dangerous.

Instead I kept my eyes on him to make sure when the 1st Responders arrived, they will be able to quickly rescue/recover the stranger.

It wasn't until I spoke to the dog walker that she informed me he jumped off the bridge. She was north of the Burnhamthorpe bridge while I was south of it looking down river.

She would have had a good view and I only witnessed the commotion after I heard the male scream and loud bang and splash on impact.

It was a sad way to end my week off steelheading and truly wish whoever the stranger was that he is now in peace and while his family mourns.

Please be safe out there on the water and river banks.

Falling into the rivers this time of year is extremely dangerous.

#2 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

http://www.mississau...to-credit-river

#3 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Wow, that's unfortunate lucky he never landed on anyone. I believe a cyclist went off that bridge a couple of years ago. Edited reply, just read it was QEW bridge .

#4 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

To all my fellow steelheaders, it has been a great week on all tribs fishing for the fresh run of chrome.

Unfortunately this morning, when I was scouting the Credit River for fishing conditions to the warm up coming this Saturday, a female dog walker and myself were witness to a stranger taking his own life by jumping off the Burnhamthorpe Street bridge into the Credit River.

While she called 911, I was trying to find a way to rescue the stranger but my options were limited with the ice and slush forming on the river.

I originally thought he was a fellow steelheader and fell into the Credit.

I called out to him without any response. I extended my rod hoping he might be able to reach for it.

I thought of casting my line and hooking his jacket to get him to shore but with 6lb leader and #12 hook, that would have been futile.

I thought of wading into the river without my waders but that would have been dangerous.

Instead I kept my eyes on him to make sure when the 1st Responders arrived, they will be able to quickly rescue/recover the stranger.

It wasn't until I spoke to the dog walker that she informed me he jumped off the bridge. She was north of the Burnhamthorpe bridge while I was south of it looking down river.

She would have had a good view and I only witnessed the commotion after I heard the male scream and loud bang and splash on impact.

It was a sad way to end my week off steelheading and truly wish whoever the stranger was that he is now in peace and while his family mourns.

Please be safe out there on the water and river banks.

Falling into the rivers this time of year is extremely dangerous.

It's never easy seeing someone take their own life. I've seen it a handful of times at work over the years and it always makes my stomach turn.

Sorry you had to experience such a traumatic event. May he rest in piece.

#5 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

CA87, that incident at the QEW and Credit was 2 days ago.

My link

What I witness happened this morning.

The officer mentioned the QEW jumper to me and they were going to check to see if he was the same guy.

Apparently the incident 2 days ago, the individual walked away unharmed.

I don't think he was as fortunate this morning jumping off the Burnhamthorpe bridge and falling 100 feet into 1-2 feet of water and boulders on shore.

Whoever the stranger was, I truly hope he found his peace.

#6 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

http://www.mississauga.com/iphone/news/article/1566339--man-jumps-into-credit-river

That was a different day, not sure if it's the same incident.

#7 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Two different incidents 2 days apart.

Police are checking to see if it was the same guy.

Also, probably jumped to conclusion that it was a suicide jumper.

Police also stated that since 2006, there have been 2 cyclists thrown over the railings of the Burnhamthorpe bridge into the Credit River.

So until the investigation is completed, this could either be a suicide jumper or an unfortunate cyclist riding on the sidewalk of the bridge.

#8 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thanks CJR.

Unfortunately I have 1st hand witness death by accidents and natural.

This was a first for a jumper/suicide/accident over a 100 foot tall bridge while being directly underneath the structure about 30 feet from the point of impact.

I was more concerned about trying to figure a way to either rescue or help the person while he floated by 15-20 feet away from the shoreline.

Regardless, I truly hope the female dog walker is OK because she would have seen the full incident as she was walking downriver towards me along the shore.

#9 chuckles

chuckles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Not a good thing to see i een 1 guy take his life high voltage wires never forget it was 12 have known 5 people who taken there life 2 being best freinds sad sad sad life can be rough as hell

#10 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Crazy that something like this happend twice in two days...I just googled it and figured it was the same story..sorry you had to witness that, must have been traumatic..I too have witnessed death by natural occurances. Undertow can be really dangerous..unfortunate.

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Suicidal people have always been a mystery to me...because I value life more than anything else. The joy of experiencing how to live is 2nd to none. I guess to some...taking your own life is the ultimate sacrifice to find peace. I met a guy who is totally nice and always lend a helping hand...in simple little things but never had the love he wanted from his own family. He wasn't appreciated at all. He succeeded on the 2nd try. hang himself.

#12 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

There are several types of suicides.

Some do it privately as a last call out for help and have a family member discover the body.

Others do it publicly and are ashamed for a family member to discover them.

With yesterday's incident, the individual decided to do it in a public place and affect the lives of close of 50 people such as myself, the female dog walker, Peel Region police officers, Mississauga Fire, Mississauga Marine Unit, Mississauga EMS and 2 other steelheaders who arrived before the 1st Responders.

It's never a good experience for a police officer to show up at the next of kin and give the sad news to the surviving family.

No matter how big your problems are, there is always someone who will listen and try to help. A family member, coworker, or stranger is never far from anyone's troubles.

Unfortunately, suiciders lost all hope and efforts to find help and resort to their decision.

KUDOS to all the 1st Responders for their quick response to the scene and securing the area from hikers, cyclists, onlookers, etc.

#13 Virginia

Virginia

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

There are several types of suicides.

Some do it privately as a last call out for help and have a family member discover the body.

Others do it publicly and are ashamed for a family member to discover them.

With yesterday's incident, the individual decided to do it in a public place and affect the lives of close of 50 people such as myself, the female dog walker, Peel Region police officers, Mississauga Fire, Mississauga Marine Unit, Mississauga EMS and 2 other steelheaders who arrived before the 1st Responders.

It's never a good experience for a police officer to show up at the next of kin and give the sad news to the surviving family.

No matter how big your problems are, there is always someone who will listen and try to help. A family member, coworker, or stranger is never far from anyone's troubles.

Unfortunately, suiciders lost all hope and efforts to find help and resort to their decision.

KUDOS to all the 1st Responders for their quick response to the scene and securing the area from hikers, cyclists, onlookers, etc.

#14 shantzez

shantzez

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Odd that this wasn't even mentioned in the news. I usually see this type of stuff on CP24...
Does anyone have a link to the story?

#15 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

The news does not report every case. It's not news worthy or this happens too often. My sister who takes the TTC only, knows when there's been a suicide on the tracks. No one ever reports that. Maybe the news does not want to give people ideas. Just look at the bridge on Bloor over the DVP. The city had to put up anti-jumper guards b/c it was so frequent. It's a sad way to go. But it happens way more then most people think. News reports murders but rarely suicides here.

#16 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Unfortunately it seems to happen a lot.

#17 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Odd that this wasn't even mentioned in the news. I usually see this type of stuff on CP24...
Does anyone have a link to the story?

The rivershore scene and up top on the EB/WB bridges were locked down pretty quick by the police.

No presence of any media while I was there so unless someone informs or talks to the press, there will probably be no article on the incident.

#18 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Unfortunately it seems to happen a lot.

One of the 1st responding officers informed me that they get 5 to 6 jumpers off this bridge every year, so yeh, probably something that is not news worthy and/or kept under wraps to avoid other people who are suicidal from taking this approach to end their troubles.

#19 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

One of the 1st responding officers informed me that they get 5 to 6 jumpers off this bridge every year, so yeh, probably something that is not news worthy and/or kept under wraps to avoid other people who are suicidal from taking this approach to end their troubles.

Yep, January is usually the worst month for suicides too.

This stuff never makes news unless it involves someone else getting hurt too.

#20 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Sad, life can be overwhelming for many,they just give up. Fishing is my escape from the many pressures I have. I was down there the day before. My buddy at the TTC says it happens all the time on the subway line, many times when your train is delayed they're cleaning up.