• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

CRAA (credit river anglers association) is having a meeting febuary 11th to discuss the latest news and plans for 2013 to make our rivers even better!! You dont need to be a member to come and after hearing what these guys have planned Im sure you will want to join! The meeting is scheduled for febuary 11th at 6pm at the crooked cue in port credit. This is a great way for all you steelheaders to give back, CRAA is responsible for ALOT of stream rehab, stocking, fish lifting and over all improving the fisheries we have on the west side of the city!!

If you fish west tribs you can thank CRAA for helping keep fish numbers where they are :D

#2 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

John is sort of a one-man show at times...would be good to put in an appearance and find out how you might help the cause given many of you fish the Cred...
cc

#3 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

John is sort of a one-man show at times...would be good to put in an appearance and find out how you might help the cause given many of you fish the Cred...
cc

yep alot of credit guys on this forum for sure lol I cant wait to help out in the hatchery and at fish lifts!

#4 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

#5 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

so I guess everyone is too busy fishing to bother to help, pretty sad when you know alot of the guys on here fish the credit too. Even if you dont fish the credit ( like me i hate that river lol) CRAA does work for ALL west tribs so if you fish them on a regular basis and want to see an improvement this is your chance to help.

Who doesnt want more fish, access points, less trash and more natural reproduction happening in our tribs?????????????????

#6 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I want no access points. I want to be the only one on the river.

XD

In all seriousness I might swing by to check this out but to be honest any time I've responded or msged the CRAA about lending a hand I never hear back anyhow.

#7 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I want no access points. I want to be the only one on the river.

XD

In all seriousness I might swing by to check this out but to be honest any time I've responded or msged the CRAA about lending a hand I never hear back anyhow.

if it wasnt for access points how would we fish? :P If it wasnt for craa alot of the credit river wouldnt be open for fishing which means alot more pressure on smaller stretches of river. I hear you on them not getting back to you they did it to me too when i was younger but they really need help. alot of the guys who started craa or are a big part of it are getting old, having kids, and are having trouble finding all the spare time that it takes to run a hatchery, fish ladder and then all the stream rehab type projects so they need the younger generation to step up and continue what they have started which is if you ask me a pretty awesome thing! If it wasnt for craa there would be almost no natural repro happening on the credit, every trout would be stuck bellow streetsville like the stupid chinnies to poop there eggs in unsuitable spawning water and head back to the lake lol

#8 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I am not saying I don't support what they do but if they are in such need of help why don't they take it.

I emailed one of their members asking for help last week, without even a response.

;)

Idk if you have to be part of a special group or circle to be part of it but I offered.

#9 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ive had the same thing happen to me as for as trying to get a hold of them to do some volunteer work. Fell on deaf ears.

Im a renewing member of OFHA, that and my license fees are my fair share of contribution for now!

#10 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

It is my wifes birthdat that day but i will try to come. It is close to my house and i am the meber of C.R.A.A well i just pay yearly membership but did not participate in any meetings before or volunteer work because they are not getting back to my emails, Maybe this will be good time to meet with them and talk about it

#11 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Bad timing, won't be in the province on that day, but wish I could make it. :sad:

#12 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sounds good, if I'm available I will attend. The worst thing I've noticed last time I was at the Credit which disappoints me as a Canadian as much as an angler was the amount of garbage and fishing related garbage i.e.- line left behind. I've been bringing a shopping bag and filling it easily to dump on my way out. W.I.T.O. - Walk in trash out. I wouldn't be upset about volunteering jlisk;AA and HH they probably had enough people. At least you offered. Confusing message though, if they ask but don't take people up on their offer.

#13 John from CRAA

John from CRAA

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for posting.

The meeting is Feb 11, 6:30-9:30 at the Crooked Cue in Port Credit - 2nd floor. Come on out if you have a chance. Learn more about the clubs projects, recent activities and sign up to help out on projects.

To reply to a few of the comments above, there are no unanswered e-mails in the CRAA in box. So if you never heard from CRAA regarding volunteering you either e-mailed the wrong address or your message was spammed (which is unlikely since that is checked every couple months). CRAA is easy to find and easy to reach.

www.craa.on.ca
info@craa.on.ca
Or on the CRAA chat board

Now is your chance to come out and learn more, get involved and create a great fishery. No excuses, you know the date.

CRAA posts notices on our website and all the local trout/salmon chat boards for volunteer events, plus in our newsletter. Some projects like the fish lift and transfer are limited to numbers of volunteers by the MNR and their access agreements. Meanwhile other projects need hundreds of people, yet 20 show up. If you think buying a fishing license is enough to make a fishery you are kidding yourself. Less than 10% of the salmon and trout run is the result of MNR stocking at present, Most steelhead are wild, produced by CRAA's transfers and most chinooks came from Ringwood or natural reproduction. And the OFAH bit is funny...they are opposed to lowering steelhead harvest in Lake Ontario (was lowered a bit by MNR anyway) and OFAH opposed better access up the river for chinook, coho, brown and steelies so they can spawn.

The alternative is simple. Do nothing and if not enough people help then the projects stop and you loose the lower Credit fishery. MNR's budget has been cut deeply again. MNR stocking only accounts for 1,500-2,000 steelies at best in the river. Without CRAA working with the local city governments the rivers would be closed to fishing all together. Doing nothing is easy, but the costs are very high. If I and other CRAA volunteers had done nothing 20 years ago the fishery would be closed. Mississauga was pushing MNR to stop all stocking back around 1990 and planned to close Erindale in the early 90's to fishing. Yet CRAA, led by me turned it around, worked with the city, MNR and managed to open all this new water. Perhaps if you got involved it will get even better.

John

#14 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks John

cc

#15 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Thanks John

cc

x2

#16 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

x3 sometimes it's beneficial to get the skinny from the horses mouth before jumping to conclusions regarding lack of responses etc. Thanks for the clarification John

#17 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

x3 sometimes it's beneficial to get the skinny from the horses mouth before jumping to conclusions regarding lack of responses etc. Thanks for the clarification John

very true, thanks john for backing me up :P Looking forward to meeting you on the 11th.

#18 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Attended the meeting last night. Enjoyed a couple or three Guinness' and must say I was impressed by how intelligent and passionate both John and Louis when it comes to the fishery. I think it would be safe to say the C.R.A.A. ship is in very good hands. Nice meeting you John and hope to get out to a few events in the coming year and maybe I'll see you around Streetsville.

#19 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I was there too. It was very educational and nice to meet goodfellas fishermen. :)

#20 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I was there too. It was very educational and nice to meet goodfellas fishermen. :)

Yeah, we should have put our O.F.F. names on our nametags...