• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I noticed some big numbers reported during the January thaw...well done!
Just wondering if some of you consistently successful steelheaders would give us some insights into the secrets of your success!
Specifically...
a) How do you determine which river you choose to fish? Do you fish your regular tribs, do you look for the most water, the least water etc.? It seems to me that the most successful guys are willing to run-and-gun, but how do you choose your starting spot?
B) Does time of day matter that much?
c) How do you deal with super slushy conditions? - or do you just move on to another trib?
d) Any thoughts about the movement of steelhead during thaw conditions? (How far do they run upriver; what causes them to stay in the "open-season" sections of rivers; how quickly do they head back to the lake etc???)

I realize these questions cover a great deal of info., but if anyone is willing to contribute knowledge on any of these topics it would be greatly appreciated.

You can also PM me if you don't want to discuss in open forum.

Thanks.

#2 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Best advice i can give you : You have to get out and learn from your own experience :) You can get some questions answered here and i will also help but dude unless you go out and get good days and bad days is something that you can not learn or read.

#3 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Answer to a)

I live near by couple rivers and work near one. I always check water level at my way to or from work. I prefer bigger water.

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

as far as movement goes, they'll stay in slower waters, the less energy they have to expell in cold water, the better

#5 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I rely on the following:

1. Hydrometric data, past baseline and forecasted trend.
2. Weather conditions (temps, wind, barometric, recent and forecasted rain)
3. Sun and lunar positions.

If all 3 line up, than you should be killing it on the river.

Learning to read hydrometic data (levels and discharge) helps you understand which rivers clears up quicker while other tribs takes longer.

#6 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

if your going to fish a trib after a thaw the water is going to be stained so fish a trib you know well so you know where the all the structure is, you'll probly save yourself a few reties aswel!

#7 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hydrometric data:
http://www.wateroffi...l?agree=I Agree

Weather conditions (current and forecasted):
http://www.theweathe...96?ref=homecity

Sun-Lunar positions:
http://www.solunarfo...arcalendar.aspx

Keep in mind that the data presented by these sites are to be used as guidelines and not to be taken as 'gospel'.
After some experience, you will get to learn how to use all 3 data-metrics to determine the best days/times/conditions for winter steelheading.

#8 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I remember John Kendell said the sole reason steelhead will run up rivers is to spawn. So it makes sense that optimal temperatures this time of year can push them up. For me, interpreting hydrometric data is pretty important. Mostly to avoid blown out conditions and to pick the right day. I don't fish in super slushy conditions and always try to be ready to go back to the drawing board if I'm not catching anything. :)

#9 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

One last tip: having all this data metrics is not going to do you any good unless you spend the time to learn the tribs and find the pools, pockets, and runs where the steelies may be holding up.

Nothing beats time on the river fishing for chromes.

#10 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Big dirty jam bags. and as others stated, fish a trib you know well. Some clear faster than others, these are the ones I usually hit first, but sometimes you'll have luck fishing one of the dirtier ones.

#11 rainbow_B

rainbow_B

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hydrometric data:
http://www.wateroffi...l?agree=I Agree

Weather conditions (current and forecasted):
http://www.theweathe...96?ref=homecity

Sun-Lunar positions:
http://www.solunarfo...arcalendar.aspx

Keep in mind that the data presented by these sites are to be used as guidelines and not to be taken as 'gospel'.
After some experience, you will get to learn how to use all 3 data-metrics to determine the best days/times/conditions for winter steelheading.

very useful,
tnx!

#12 rainbow_B

rainbow_B

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

very useful,
tnx!

when I came to Toronto, I called the MNR and asked about high tide and low tide info, they said we don't have such a thing!
This website made my day.

TNX!

#13 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

lots of great advice here. I will add slowing down your drifts. I find because the fish are moving slower in the cold water, slowing down the drift makes for more hits. :grin:

#14 Steel_ED

Steel_ED

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

lots of great advice here. I will add slowing down your drifts. I find because the fish are moving slower in the cold water, slowing down the drift makes for more hits. :grin:

Excellent point. Reason why to you should carry different size, shape, gram, and type of floats to use in specific conditions.

#15 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Did ya check the lunar charts this morning??

#16 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

captain quinn rules all his vids are good

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

if your going to fish a trib after a thaw the water is going to be stained so fish a trib you know well so you know where the all the structure is, you'll probly save yourself a few reties aswel!

+1 This is bang on. At thaw, expect the water to be murky. Last thaw, I was drifting while ice was cracking. Consistent running water and get the hookups where the water slows down and creates a whirl.

I'm just waiting for the next thaw and will try some Live Forage Minnows.

#18 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

First is locating fish, after a thaw the river or creek can rise from several inches to several feet. When a river is blown out and dark as chocolate milk most fish waiting to come into the system will be near the mouth of the rivers or creeks ready to fly up stream once the river or creek starts dropping and clearing up. Generally most people do not fish blown out conditions...it's simply not worth the time and frustration.
Once the steelhead are in the rivers some will blast up as fast but the majority stay in the lower to middle sections and slowly move up over several days or weeks or even months. Generally when water level tend to stablize the fish are usually located in slower water and deeper pools where they will feel safe. Anytime there is good structure ie: bolders, logs, undercuts ect. there tends to be fish around. A good starting point is to find the foam line in slower pockets and pools and go from there.

During the winter months the strike zone for a trout can be very small, they are less likely to chase down forage like they would in the fall or the warmer periods of spring. Sometimes taking dozens of drifts over the same small section of a spot is the only way to get them to bite. The spot within a spot can be critical at this time of year, the only way to determine this is simply spending time on the water. The more time you spend on the rivers and creeks the more successful you will be.

Another good tip its simply to slow down your drifts or presentation, keeping your bait in front of the fishes face as long as possible can greatly effect the number of bites you get.
In general goopy roe bags will be the go to bait, trout beads can also be very effective but don't be afraid to try worms( real or artifical), small crankbaits, spinners, spoons, heavy fly's, creatures or a plastic minnow such as Berkley Gulp, these can produce strikes as well.
I have drifted many times with roe in a spot for hours only to watch someone throw out a crankbait and hit a fish in a cast or two and vise-versa.

For equipment, For drifting most people use a 4.5"-5"centerpin reel, the standard float rod is 13' with a medium light action with a line rating anywhere from 3 to 10lb test with the standard being 4-8lb. If you plan on fishing larger rivers then something like a 15' would be more effective and if you fish small creeks with lots of trees and overhead obsticles then a rod being 10' or 12' would be more practical.

For spinners and crankbaits a steelhead rod around the 7'-10' with a spinning reel would be the ticket, these rods usually have lots of backbone, soft tips and always have a reel seat.

I hope this info helps.

Good Luck!

#19 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for all of your contributions; informative and greatly appreciated.
And trust me, I'd much rather learn the steelheader's craft spending time on the tribs instead of on a laptop...

#20 GoWithTheFloat

GoWithTheFloat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

thanks for posting this topic. . . and some great new stuff for me in Nick Evans post as well. Great contributions guys.