Photo

Your favourite, knots for salmon and trout.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

hey, all

Was wondering how do you guy have your steelhead and salmon set up and mainly which knot do you use and why. please specify main line , shot line (if applicable) and leader line, please provide either the brand, test and diameter. That way it is more understandable why some one would use certain knot over another.

I personally found imp clinch to not work well with really thin leaders, it snaps too often and not fan of trilene knot. some times but rarely i use clinch knot on the hook. generally not big fan of lot of twists on fluorocarbon.

My set up is, 12lb raven .12" > palomar >swivel > 8lb stren super knot .12" or 8lb Trilene sensation .10" (depending how thick or thin my leader will be > palomar> swivel > Raven 4.5lb .007", 5.6 0.008", 6.8lb .009: >davy knot > hook. If i use thicker leader i will go with double davy to the hook.

If i need to redo the leader, i will do double davy to first swivel and to the hook.

#2 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Not sure about diameters, but I only use trilene knots for each knot.

10lb suffix siege to swivel, then 5, 6 or ,8lb drennan fluro leader (depending on the conditions) to the hook.

#3 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

I've been using the trilene knot the past two years straight and have lost many fish. I've gotten the hang of the fish-n-fool knot now. I think I'll try that from now and see how it goes. Can't really go wrong with a palomar knot either. But whichever knot you use it's good to wet the line before tying the knot, it ends up a little stronger that way.

#4 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

i use imp clinch knot 90% of the time for pretty much everything i tie lol. been running sufix promix 8lb no shot line straight to my 6.6lb leader or sometimes 8lb depends on the conditions. for salmon i'll bump it up to 10 or 12lb main and run no lighter then 8lb leader. i like my leader stretchy so i run frog hair most of the time.

#5 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

does help if i know the brand of the leader, reason i asked for diameter is because different brands have different diameters. drennan is much thicker line so it can handle more twists. I think your knot will be different based on how thick the line is of course.

Fluorocarbon is not a very good line when it comes to knots. that is why less friction might help. that is why i chose davy not, i landed that big one on it without a problem and tying it takes under 3 seconds.

#6 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

i use imp clinch knot 90% of the time for pretty much everything i tie lol. been running sufix promix 8lb no shot line straight to my 6.6lb leader or sometimes 8lb depends on the conditions. for salmon i'll bump it up to 10 or 12lb main and run no lighter then 8lb leader. i like my leader stretchy so i run frog hair most of the time.

you are brave running imp clinch on such thin leader :) i guess your rod might be really soft? slow action?

#7 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

i use regular clinch with 8 raps and leave a small tag end. seems to work for me. for braid - palomar.

heard orvis knot is good, will try to use it this season.

#8 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

you are brave running imp clinch on such thin leader :) i guess your rod might be really soft? slow action?

:mrgreen:

#9 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I've been using the trilene knot the past two years straight and have lost many fish. I've gotten the hang of the fish-n-fool knot now. I think I'll try that from now and see how it goes. Can't really go wrong with a palomar knot either. But whichever knot you use it's good to wet the line before tying the knot, it ends up a little stronger that way.

fish n fool used to be my favourite go to knot of all time, i still use it for lake fishing. just consumes a lot of leader line in the process. cause once you measure the leader and keep chipping at it, you need to redo the leader. whole point was to use less leader :D

#10 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

i use regular clinch with 8 raps and leave a small tag end. seems to work for me. for braid - palomar.

heard orvis knot is good, will try to use it this season.

That looks like davy knot with added knot on top, if you have not given davy knot a try, you should. orvis knot looks very difficult to tie fast and consumes lot of leader :D

#11 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

I run my GLX mostly for steelhead its moderate light action so i do get away with it :smile: But i do run this set up on fast action rods as well. Been doing it for long time i'm use to it :grin:

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

i use one line, no leader, no swivel, less knots i have to rely on the better, for steels i run straight 6lb to my hook, imp cinch, only lost one float to a tree all of last year.

on my fly rod, for my leader connection its a surgeons knot, to imp clinch or loop knot on the fly

#13 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I run my GLX mostly for steelhead its moderate light action so i do get away with it :smile: But i do run this set up on fast action rods as well. Been doing it for long time i'm use to it :grin:

you run a forghair 6.6 on a fast action rod? :o

#14 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

:mrgreen:

I see what you did there :P

#15 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

not all the time but yeah i do :mrgreen:

#16 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

not all the time but yeah i do :mrgreen:

you are brave my brother!

#17 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I use almost same set up as float^drifter but i use 6lb Seaguar leader for steelhead, salmon i don't care least expensive one :) 8lb and up
Main line Sufix ProMix 8lb for steelhead
Salmon: Raven 10 or 12 lb
Am i always use clear line i don't like color ones except backing line.

cheers!

#18 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I use the palomar knot or the San Diego jam knot ( www.netknots.com) .I use the San Diego about 90% of the time for all connections.

#19 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I use the palomar knot or the San Diego jam knot ( www.netknots.com) .I use the San Diego about 90% of the time for all connections.

what do you tie the san diego jam knot on? how thick of a line?

#20 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

VERY HARD KNOT FOR WINTER TIME