• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

i was just wondering if anyone uses them i pick some up last time i was in wilsons in fergus rob told me about them so i thought i would get then a try. And does anyone tie them and are they hard to tie

#2 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I think you could ask at the symposium, cool lookin flies was checkin them out at Basspro

#3 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hey Mad,
They are as easy to tie as regular hooks but they tend to use more material due to the increased diameter. That said, they are very versitile in terms of weights available (tubes are available from plastic through aluminum, brass, steel and copper) and there really are no limitations as to what sizes you can tie if you can find the proper mandrels

#4 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thanks rob I will have to stop by the shop to pick up some materials in the near future

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

never even heard of a tube fly til now. what advantage do they offer that a conventional fly with a stinger does not?

#6 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

from what rob from wilsons told me was that using the tube fly takes the pivot point away from the hook when using a conventional fly the fly can pivot at the eye of the hook raising the chance to lose the fish by the hook moving but when you slide the tube on your tippet then tie a hook on you slide the tub back down over the eye of the hook taking away that pivot point and when you hook in to a fish you can also slide the tube fly up your line you get it out of the way i cant wait to try them and they look cool too hope that helps

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

that makes sense, but what about just tying on a stinger hook, you're main fly might pivot, but the stinger wouln't.

i've seen them at sail, and like wtf, who ties a fly without hook lol

#8 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ya Your right it would be best to have a variety of both I gonna pick up a tube fly tying kit today at bps they have them marked down big time then try to get out to Wilson's in fergus to pick up so materials to mess around tying them but I still will use streamers with stinger hooks as well it's just a different way to fish them

#9 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

yea they definitely sound interesting, maybe see if they have some at the sportmans show

#10 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

ya hopefully theres some good stuff there i just dont know if im gonna go sat or sun

#11 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

i've got no choice but to go on sunday, since i work tues-sat hehe

#12 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

well maybe i will see you there

#13 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

yea, theres a possibility there, we be spending a bit of time in the fly section for sure, specially since reel flies is there, stock up for the spring

#14 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

that makes sense, but what about just tying on a stinger hook, you're main fly might pivot, but the stinger wouln't.

i've seen them at sail, and like wtf, who ties a fly without hook lol

I can't see the advantage in landing success either.I have read that one advantage in using tubes flys is ,given the stinger is not attached to the fly,there is a tendency,when hooked up, for the tube to ride separated from the hook and thereby decrease damage to the fly.I tie intruders on standard hooks with a stinger ,but am considering tying them on tubes as well to achieve a longer fly with more control over the weight..

#15 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Take a long shank hook and an octopus hook and tie a piece of tippet to them. Then hold the hook between your thumb and index finger and move the tippet back and forth aggressively like a fighting fish. The longer the fight goes on, the more ripping and tearing occurs with the conventional shank. Introduce a little slack near the end of fight and that hole left by the hook moving in the mouth makes for a better exit, especially with barbless hooks. The shorter hook that we would use on a tube fly stays far more stationary in the fishes mouth during the fight.
Another benefit of tubes or waddingtons for that matter, is that you can use a lighter wire hook for better penetration without compromising the weight of the the overall fly.
Hope that make some sense.

#16 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks again rob I can't wait to get out and try the flies I picked up there

#17 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

i was just wondering if anyone uses them i pick some up last time i was in wilsons in fergus rob told me about them so i thought i would get then a try. And does anyone tie them and are they hard to tie

Shame you weren't around when Canadian fly casting champion Norman Wallachy stopped by the booth to chat...he later came by with his box of tubes...really nice work. His secret source for tubes is WD40 spray nozzles...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Tie them up like regular patterns, with or without cone heads for added weight...

cc

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Shame you weren't around when Canadian fly casting champion Norman Wallachy stopped by the booth to chat...he later came by with his box of tubes...really nice work. His secret source for tubes is WD40 spray nozzles...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Tie them up like regular patterns, with or without cone heads for added weight...

cc

im now expecting wd40 cans everywher to be missing the red nozzle :shock:

#19 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

1360717634[/url]' post='262365']
im now expecting wd40 cans everywher to be missing the red nozzle :shock:

Posted ImagePosted Image
yup yup brother

#20 TRIMIX

TRIMIX

Sunfish

• Premium Account

• 145 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

One of my favourite tiers is Davie McPhail

If you can. You should take a look, He ties many different patterns .And is a dame good tier