• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

ok so i started using a baitcaster this past year i love it aside from the odd bird nest always my own fault forgetting to setup the break when switch baits from heavy to light or vise versa so what i have i started with a rapala combo then i upgraded the rod the first sucked way to light i got a ABU GARCIA VENGENCE med then i busted the top eye on my last camping trip so its done im trying to find the best setup for under 200

#2 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I should have mentioned I'm mostly bass fishing

#3 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

wait for the sportsmen show 7-10th feb? and a week after the the fishing show 15-18th feb. not sure if all the fishing store show up for both though. but since the sportmen show is first this year. i am sure their stocks will be better and not depleted.

#4 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well I was already planning in trying to get stuff at the sportsman show I guess I wasn't clear enough I was looking for suggestions on rod an reel

#5 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

You can easily replace the too guide on your fishing rod. Just pop by a fishing shop. A lot of them keep a box of tip guides and glue, and will gladly replace them for you! If you are GTA local, angling specialties on highway 7 has the parts for sure.

#6 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

No the top eye snapped off eye with rod in it

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

its still fixable, most tackle shops can do it easy, have had 4inches of rod replaced

#8 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

We will see about that we got drunk and cut the rod back to the next eye still nailed an bunch of smb around 3lb each on it though

#9 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

So are their any suggestions on a new rod an reel setup

#10 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

for around 250 you can great setup, revo s reel and veritas rod

#11 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

alright now we are talking i mostly fish scugog very weedy so should i go heavy or med/heavy also fast or xfast

#12 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

alright now we are talking i mostly fish scugog very weedy so should i go heavy or med/heavy also fast or xfast

what do you plan on throwing with this setup primarily?

#13 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

MH is your best bet, go with a 7' mh fast and youll be covered for a wide array of techniques. from spinnerbaits to jigs, big swimbaits, frogs, t rigged baits etc

#14 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

tyvm for your help

#15 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Anyone see any sweet deals at the show today that I should look at I'm going this weekend

#16 vnovshad

vnovshad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

This is the setup I have and I absolutely love it!, This summer, I have used this setup to catch , Bass, Walleye, Pike, Catfish, and even salmon during the run! Its very versatile, and never let me down! I pretty much used this rod exclusively this summer.

The reel Shimano - Citica

http://www.basspro.c...oduct/10230478/

The Rod Shimano - Compre - 6'8" Fast action , Medium Power

http://www.basspro.c.../1110040501175/

Line - Power Pro 50lb - Moss Green

http://www.basspro.c.../product/44283/

It might break your 200 dollar mark by a little but you wont regret it, I have not.

#17 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

#18 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Angler Anonymous offered pretty good gear selections. MH/F is more than enough. Anything heavier may rip the lure right out of the mouth on hookset! Save the pool cues for muskie fishing. 6'6" for accuracy, 7' for a bit more casting distance and hookset torque.

Personally, I like St. Croix rods. They seem to be made of a tougher composite that has more bend and flex than other makes in the price range. The trade off is they are marginally heavier to hold and have a slightly wider profile, but they are built tough as nails and can still fish them all day. As for the reel, there are good values starting at $100 and up.

Just to give you an example, I have three setups with prices:

MH/F 7' St. Croix Premier, 3/8oz - 1oz, ($120) paired with an AG Orra SX 7.1:1 ($100) for texas worms, heavy jigs, heavy spinners and topwaters through heavy cover
M/F 6'6" St. Coix Mojo Bass, 1/4oz - 5/8oz, ($100) paired with an AG Revo Winch 5.4:1 ($200) for cranks, topwaters and spinners in open water/light cover
M/F 6' Berkely Lightning Rod Shock 1/4oz - 3/4oz ($50) with a Pflueguer Trion 6.4:1 ($120) for lighter jigs in open water/light cover

My first setup was a Quatum combo for $80 and it was the worst piece gear I had ever bought. Never buy combos. You need decent equipment to further improve your skill with. A nice setup can be had for $200 - 250 so you are in the ballpark.

One more important note: match your rod to the line and lure weights you plan to use. Even with good gear, you will get backlashes and/or short wimpy casts if you are using line and lures not properly matched. And always use 12lb minimum as a rule of thumb, although some rods are rated for 10, anything smaller diameter will bind in the reel and cause miscasts and other trouble. Speaking from personal experience! Save lighter line and lures for spinning gear.

Probably more info than you wanted, but hope this helps as a second, third or fourth opinion.

#19 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Angler Anonymous offered pretty good gear selections. MH/F is more than enough. Anything heavier may rip the lure right out of the mouth on hookset! Save the pool cues for muskie fishing. 6'6" for accuracy, 7' for a bit more casting distance and hookset torque.

Personally, I like St. Croix rods. They seem to be made of a tougher composite that has more bend and flex than other makes in the price range. The trade off is they are marginally heavier to hold and have a slightly wider profile, but they are built tough as nails and can still fish them all day. As for the reel, there are good values starting at $100 and up.

Just to give you an example, I have three setups with prices:

MH/F 7' St. Croix Premier, 3/8oz - 1oz, ($120) paired with an AG Orra SX 7.1:1 ($100) for texas worms, heavy jigs, heavy spinners and topwaters through heavy cover
M/F 6'6" St. Coix Mojo Bass, 1/4oz - 5/8oz, ($100) paired with an AG Revo Winch 5.4:1 ($200) for cranks, topwaters and spinners in open water/light cover
M/F 6' Berkely Lightning Rod Shock 1/4oz - 3/4oz ($50) with a Pflueguer Trion 6.4:1 ($120) for lighter jigs in open water/light cover

My first setup was a Quatum combo for $80 and it was the worst piece gear I had ever bought. Never buy combos. You need decent equipment to further improve your skill with. A nice setup can be had for $200 - 250 so you are in the ballpark.

One more important note: match your rod to the line and lure weights you plan to use. Even with good gear, you will get backlashes and/or short wimpy casts if you are using line and lures not properly matched. And always use 12lb minimum as a rule of thumb, although some rods are rated for 10, anything smaller diameter will bind in the reel and cause miscasts and other trouble. Speaking from personal experience! Save lighter line and lures for spinning gear.

Probably more info than you wanted, but hope this helps as a second, third or fourth opinion.

Your a beautiful person. Thank you.

#20 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks topwaterjoe that is prime info. It can never be too much...if people get bored they can just stop reading!