• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Alright so I got setup form a booth at the show with a quantum kt101 hpt with a quantum hsx70 smoke rod seems to be a decent setup 200 even we will see how she works out when I get it out their

#22 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

the smokes are good rods

#23 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

It's so light when I first grabbed it I didn't think I was holding anything

#24 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Now for my next question what line should I use this time

#25 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

not senshi for line, most berkley and suffix stuff is good.even the semi clear raven is a good idea.

#26 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

If you mean mono vs. fluoro and super lines, it is a matter of price point and personal preference.

A lot of people are using 30 - 50lb braid. It just cost a lot of money for quality stuff. I would recommend forking out for P-Line or Suffix. Cheaper braids wear faster. Quality braid will last you all season hitting the water every weekend. Just keep in mind your hookset will have to be a little softer.

Fluoro is something I am on the fence about. It has sensitivity and abrasion resistance, but the price point is also up there. Tying knots with higher test becomes a challenge and it is stiff and memory coils are another issue.

Mono is my preference because it is cheap. Not ensitive like braid, but 17 - 20lb test will rip most lures and fish through the grass. Suffix Elite is stiffer and more sensitive, Berkely/Trilene Big Game is cheap in bulk and very tough with low stretch. Stren Original is becoming my new favorite based on price and well-rounded performance.

Go with a popular brand in whatever category you choose and you cannot lose.

#27 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

My other rod has spiderwire green moss but I'm fresh out of it braid is nothing new too me so what would you suggest in braids I have tried Monos on my caster before but I found they had way too much memory

#28 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Depends what youll be using it for, primarily. What type of cover/ structure and what technique?

You cant beat braid for power and sensitivity, I use power pro for braid. Depending on your technique you can attatch a flouro leader to it using a Uni knot or you can run straight flouro. BPS flouro is pretty good, seaguar abrazx is good too

#29 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ya I fish scugog mostly very weedy with top waters and spinners

#30 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I watch a show on youtube about which line to use where. they recommended mono for top water action, braid for weed and structure and flouro since it sinks fast for deeper waters. there is a lot of good mono out there. try raven, it has almost no memory, most float fisherman can vouch for that. 800yrd+ for 12 bucks. if you live in toronto i can let you try 12lb high vis chartreuse.

#31 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Ya I'm in bowmanville about an hour east scugog is mostly weed an algae and not very deep at all

#32 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I watch a show on youtube about which line to use where. they recommended mono for top water action, braid for weed and structure and flouro since it sinks fast for deeper waters.

I heard you should use braid when fishing frogs because the no stretch will give a better "walk the dog" action.

#33 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

good mono should be fine. try it for 12 bucks. there is a blue or steel colour that raven has. to my experience best line for the money. not really sure how big the fish are, but i never seen too many issues on 6lbs+ steelhead and salmon, on a spinning reel.

#34 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

One thing that I find is sometimes overlooked is the knot. A good knot can make a difference.

#35 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

On braid I use Palomar knot has never let me down

#36 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

get braid, if your fishing any bottom contact baits you dont want mono

#37 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

#38 vnovshad

vnovshad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

+1

Also braid has no memory effect , I find it works better with the baitcaster... IMO
Also if your going braid go minimum 30lb, just because its thicker and doesn't sink itself into the spool so next time your cast it comes off easier. ( I use 50 lb) ... not that your ever going to need the strength strictly for ease of spooling.

#39 aaron86

aaron86

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

ya my old caster has 50lb spiderwire on it im thinking power pro around 50lb in green

#40 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Just to add two cents: Mono on top, braid on the bottom. You can spool another reel with one or the other so you have the choice, but braid will work for either if you do not like mono. I would not go below 50lb braid anyways (= 12lb mono). The biggest concern is line diameter. 50lb is great for working plastics and you can even go up to 65lb braid (= 15 - 17lb mono) if you are in the thick stuff, or working topwater plugs like spooks and pop-rs that need to be 'walked'. A leader should not be necessary unless you are working below the surface in light cover.