• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Nice job boys. Where was GBD? Maybe I'll see you guys out there this weekend.

From what I heard doing some overtime. Come out this weekend if u can make it down this way, with all this rain im not sure if laker grounds will be safe again though.

Nice lakers...
I'm wondering if its you guys I saw...about 2 times the distance out as everyone else...

Ya, there was a group of maybe 4-8 guys about half the distance we were in the 70' of water area. A guy cam walking out with his dog around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Nice fish, You can probably repair that reel using JB weld, Its a moldable putty that hardens 10x stronger than steel. I repaired the skeg on my boat using it. Mold it as close as possible to the shape you want and you can sand it down after it hardens and paint it.

If it works just take me out for some lakers and we'll call it even

This sounds like it would be perfect as the reel works great for letting the line down the hole, the only bad part of the reel is the seat. Im gonna head to Ctire over lunch and pick some of this up. If it works....we'll talk. LOL jk.

#22 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hey FrozenFire, did you leave an Orange peel in one of your holes on the way in? Hi Brian, that pack of mine is pretty identifiable but ya we were about twice as far as out as the handful of other people there except for one other guy out solo.

#23 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

That's a great write up of a great Trip Nado! I'm glad we got on them before this storm coming. There was quite a bit of cracking and buckling on the section I was on today. I hope it holds up.

Im praying too but the forecast looks even worse now! :angry:

#24 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

You know what really got me was the guys on the sleds that pulled up near the end of the day. One stopped first and another came around and said to the first guy something like "I wasn;t sure if the ice was safe enough to stop until I saw you stopped." He was happy to see that we were on 4-5 inches and said he thought it would be less. Hard to believe there's guys runnin around out there with that mentality. And I wonder how solid that ice would be if machines weren't allowed on it. I skied across a crack yesterday and I guess it was enough to break the fuse or something like that because it just thundered for miles in both directions and I could feel the ice shift and bounce under my feet.

#25 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

You know what really got me was the guys on the sleds that pulled up near the end of the day. One stopped first and another came around and said to the first guy something like "I wasn;t sure if the ice was safe enough to stop until I saw you stopped." He was happy to see that we were on 4-5 inches and said he thought it would be less. Hard to believe there's guys runnin around out there with that mentality. And I wonder how solid that ice would be if machines weren't allowed on it. I skied across a crack yesterday and I guess it was enough to break the fuse or something like that because it just thundered for miles in both directions and I could feel the ice shift and bounce under my feet.

I had a heart stopper yesterday as well. My ice hut started vibrating and a huge crack formed right through the ice under it. I went home :)

#26 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

What a nightmare...people like that cost society so much money and force the rest of us to live under a blanket of rules and regulations because they can't even be trusted to make sensible decisions about their own well being. I'm glad no one was hurt and maybe I'm cautious to a fault but if someone drove by on a sled when there was only 4 inches of ice I'd be rattled.

#27 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I wasnt too worried. It was 5" of black black ice, the quality doesnt get any better. I wouldnt have even thought twice if they were towing a 16' long sleeper hut lol.

Now crossing those crack mazes was another thing for me.

#28 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I love pressure crack mazes!

#29 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

In my head I know that 4-5" is plenty and that 6-7" is probaly enough for a car but whenever I get out on big water I start overthinking things lol.

#30 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Those guys parked a good distance to us and I wasn't worried safety wise. I just thought they were kinda stupid bein on ice they weren't sure about. The booming crack didn't bother me. I thought it was kinda cool and gives you a sense of the physics and dynamics of the ice a bit. I was something like a mile and a half or 2 off shore. Later I found a good buddy out on the ice. I didn't think it was him because he was wearing a life jacket. He's a local guy who's fished that lake since he was a little kid. I've never seen him with a life jacket on the ice. On the Friday he had a crack open up about 5 feet of water behind him on his way in. He left his sled on the shore and on our way in a manhole sized piece buckled when I went over it with the skis so I told him "don't go there buddy" This was about 2-250 metres from where he'd parked the sled at the shore.

#31 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

you dudes have bigger stones than me lol I've played puck with many people and gone for some long walks on lakes but never had a 5 foot gap open up behind me. Maybe thats just because its colder here who knows.

#32 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I wasn't with him when it happened...he said he'd just crossed it on his way back in and set up to fish a bit...just after you get on the shore side is the best time for that to happen I guess

#33 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thats when you drop your williams down, and walk'n troll that sob! :wink: Nice fish btw! Too bad bout the reel, had that happen to me once with a spinning reel while pier fishing, how i managed to land that chinny i do not remember. :lol:

#34 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

lol imagine the line burn from hand bombing a fresh chinny

#35 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

still hurts lol

#36 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hey FrozenFire, did you leave an Orange peel in one of your holes on the way in? Hi Brian, that pack of mine is pretty identifiable but ya we were about twice as far as out as the handful of other people there except for one other guy out solo.

Nope, I don't bring fruit with me out on the ice :D

#37 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

My hand hurts just thinking about it. :shock:

#38 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I always like to bring something with me. Guys freak out if it's bananas, so it's gotta be apples or oranges lol...or smoked fish