• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I set tip-ups up this morning at Cooks Bay in about 8 feet of water and had flags going up all day! I eventually ran out of minnows, but managed to nail one on one of those Lindy Darters. Ended up taking two home for a snack

Posted Image

#2 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

I set tip-ups up this morning at Cooks Bay in about 8 feet of water and had flags going up all day! I eventually ran out of minnows, but managed to nail one on one of those Lindy Darters. Ended up taking two home for a snack

Posted Image

nice gators! Nothing gets the heart racing like non stop pike action!! What size minnows do you use for simcoe pike ive never been able to fool one but have seen them under my holes chasing herring/perch!

#3 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Nice!

One day I will pull myselft away from lakers/whities/perch and give simcoe pike a go.

#4 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

nice gators! Nothing gets the heart racing like non stop pike action!! What size minnows do you use for simcoe pike ive never been able to fool one but have seen them under my holes chasing herring/perch!

Thanks. I use 4 inchers for Lake Simcoe. To be exact it's the ones from angling specialties in concord.

@Captain Barty

I have trouble choosing between deepwater whitefish or pike, but the lack of ice this year made it an easy choice lol

#5 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

nice looking pike, that must be exciting bringing those up through the hole in the ice, thanks for sharing :)

#6 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

nice fish I tried some deeper mid-winter spots but I think I should have went shallow!

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

very nice, do you find the pike cruize around in the shallower water more than deep?

#8 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Yup. At least on Cooks Bay they do. Yesterday I was standing over 8 feet of water.

#9 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Yup. At least on Cooks Bay they do. Yesterday I was standing over 8 feet of water.

x2 they will be shallow. ive seena HOG pike in simcoe in only 5 fow lol

#10 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Nice, I think the sleeper huts we will be set up in on the 9th will be in around 10fow so hopefully we can get into some incidental pike. Ill have to bust out the tip up for the first time.

#11 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Nice Pike thanks for sharing Rain-Bow!

#12 Nismojunky

Nismojunky

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

how was the ice thinking of going there this sunday and renting a hut seeing as i cant get the quad out :'(

#13 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Well done, look like two nice, healthy fish. Winter pike is delicious, nom nom nom.

#14 mutt248

mutt248

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

how was the ice thinking of going there this sunday and renting a hut seeing as i cant get the quad out :'(

Out of Gilford they are reporting 7-9" of hard ice and no snow on top to make sure to wear a pair of ice cleats. Jacksons point is reporting that the wind has played havoc with the ice and is has broken the ice up in to 20' chunks. Not sure if that is fact but read about it on another board. I'm hoping to get out this to, but as far where.... Mother nature will keep me posted I suppose...

Good luck if u head out.

Mutt