Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Canadian Sport Fishing

#2 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

He did a couple of episodes in India. It should have beed called India Sportfishing......lol.
The fishergirl's should be topless or in bikinis........... :shock: then I'll watch and pay attention to the show......lol.

#3 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm not a big fan of italo lol

#4 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

His the only show host that actully you learn something from (at least me as a noob). Others just yank the fish to boat and show how much fun they have without giving u much info as when/where/how they do it

#5 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'm not a big fan of italo lol

You would be if the girls were NAKED!!!!!!!!........ ;)

#6 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I saw that one Hammer, Pete Bowman and ??? whatshisname also did a show on Canadian Sportfisherman.
I have also seen shows about Channel Cat fishing the last few years. It seems some of the fish that had little recognition a few years ago are now gaining some respect.

As for you others, come on. Some of those "fisher-girls" are like 12teen if you watch the show regularly.

Alfie.

#7 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I thought it was pretty cool too the way he took the time to explain the rigs used. I know a few of the the guys he fished with there. They are a great bunch. Always willing to share some bank space and some laughs. Roger in particular will help newbies with how to tie rigs and tips on how to catch carp.

#8 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

His the only show host that actully you learn something from (at least me as a noob). Others just yank the fish to boat and show how much fun they have without giving u much info as when/where/how they do it

x2

Italo is not cool or extreme (he is an old man after all), but he shares his skill and experience beyond the, "buy product-x or get skunked!" like other fishing shows. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. But the fishergirl segments are creepy as hell!

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

It is great that Italo is trying to raise carp fishing to a higher profile. The more interest in carp fishing that can be generated the better the odds of teaching our children the benefits of carp fishing.

#10 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Nice vid

#11 Johnny Hollywood

Johnny Hollywood

Sunfish

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

There are some big Carp in the Hamilton area as Italo shows in the video.
I like Italo I think he is pretty informative on the location he is fishing a from and the gear he is using.

#12 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

thanks for sharing hammercarp,I need to try and target some of those in the detroit river, I'm sure we have some tanks swimming around ;)

#13 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I have zero respect for italo, ever since he and henry were caught fishing illegally.

#14 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I have zero respect for italo, ever since he and henry were caught fishing illegally.

I'm sure all of the other fishing television show hosts have never done anything similar while filming if they were short on good footage .... :roll:

Italo is a good man.

I'm not saying what he did was right. But clearly, he has changed for the better as a result of getting caught.

#15 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I had to google it. I had no idea he did that... that must have happened 15 years ago.

#16 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

It was a long time ago, they were snagging white fish then hooking them in the mouth and filming it.

There is a vid of him catching eyes that hardly move when he brings them up too

#17 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I looked it up too... seems like Henry is a repeat offender. Poaching bass... foul hooking fish and then mouth hooking them and filming the retrieve.... fishing in a fish sanctuary...

IMO fishing show hosts should be doing everything in their power to promote conservation and ethical fishing. New fishermen, especially the younger ones, are looking to soak up knowledge and it is easy for them to pick up bad habits without even realizing they are doing anything wrong.

#18 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Such BS lol I hardly ever watch fishing shows mostly because I don't watch all that much tv but it seems like many if them are just trying to promote whatever company is sponsoring them and saying if you don't use their products you won't catch anything. I prefer to test products myself and take in as much info on the kind of fish and area they are in then just go out and fish hard and try new things. I love hooking up with a fish with my own techniques and just experimental ideas I find it rewarding.

#19 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

My father was actually witness to what happened with Italo and Henry. He was fishing Walleye (which was open) on the same lake at the time. When he came home he told me how they were floating and casting to the spawning Bass that were surfacing around their nests and pulling them in. Dad was quite pissed to say the least. I know he made some calls. Fishing season was open for Walleye, but what they were doing was casting surface lures to rising Bass they saw not the most common tactic for Walleye. Targeting Bass, not at all legal back then. What he told me was a splash would occur and 1 of them would cast to that spot and bang, bring in a Bass.

Alfie.

#20 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

River55:

Totally agree with you. I watch fishing shows online when I'm bored and thank god you can fast forward the commercials but to be honest sometimes it's hard to tell what's part of their show and what's an advertisement.

Alfie:

Thanks for the added perspective man. That really steams me up. As I mentioned in another post I often go to do some bushwork before bass season and yah the bass are super active and territorial while they're spawning so catching one is the easiest thing in the world but it would be so selfish to target them. I don't even wet my line anywhere near the shore. As soon as you pluck one from the nest in come the rockies to slurp up the eggs and guess what that means less forage for other fish in the short run and fewer bass and other fish in the long run.