• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

hey i'm gonna be going up to my cottage for family day, never really ice fished much..

the is 4lb line enough? i was just gonna do a pretty standard split sinker setup with a small bait hook, through the mouth or back(dorsal area).

I'm thinking of trying one of those rapala jigging lures too

#2 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

I run a 10lb main line (either mono or nanofil) with a micro swivel to a 8lb fluorocarbon leader, 4lb would be a little light but you still might manage to pull one through. Then I use either a spoon or a jig and both of them need to be heavy if you are fishing in deep water with current. I have used a 10g and 18g spoons so far and I found the 18g worked better for keeping my presentation below the hole, if you aren’t using electronics then the weight isn’t as important. For jigs I hear of people using heavy bucktail jigs, I have been using something I think is pretty similar which is basically a heavy jig head tied like a marabou jig. Stinger hooks are also a great addition for both the spoon and jig setup and both setups can be tipped with a minnow.

I’m pretty new to the lake trout game but everything I have written above I have learned from guys who know what they are doing. If you can get your hands on some electronics that will help you out a lot as well.

#3 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ive heard jigging raps work. Again size depends on depth of water and current and also size of the fish you are targeting. Small back lakes use 5's and 7's, big deep water use 7's and 9's. Jig em near bottom. Good luck out there !! Be safe!!

#4 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I run a 10lb main line (either mono or nanofil) with a micro swivel to a 8lb fluorocarbon leader, 4lb would be a little light but you still might manage to pull one through. Then I use either a spoon or a jig and both of them need to be heavy if you are fishing in deep water with current. I have used a 10g and 18g spoons so far and I found the 18g worked better for keeping my presentation below the hole, if you aren’t using electronics then the weight isn’t as important. For jigs I hear of people using heavy bucktail jigs, I have been using something I think is pretty similar which is basically a heavy jig head tied like a marabou jig. Stinger hooks are also a great addition for both the spoon and jig setup and both setups can be tipped with a minnow.

I’m pretty new to the lake trout game but everything I have written above I have learned from guys who know what they are doing. If you can get your hands on some electronics that will help you out a lot as well.

I was thinking 4lb might be a little light, I'll probably throw on some 8 lb (small reel so I dunno how much 10 will fit), and then a micro swivel like you said and a leader.

I've got a fish finder so hopefully I use it properly on the ice (doesn't seem to be too hard), those bucktail jigs look good, I think i'll try a couple.. as well as a jigging spoon and lure, and i'll try one rod with just a minnow sitting off the bottom (with a slip sinker)

just picked up this at bass pro,(ugly stik ice pro combo, 32.99 or 34.99, don't remember) should be good for lakers, its cheap but I don't ice fish much
Posted Image

#5 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Ive heard jigging raps work. Again size depends on depth of water and current and also size of the fish you are targeting. Small back lakes use 5's and 7's, big deep water use 7's and 9's. Jig em near bottom. Good luck out there !! Be safe!!

thanks, and likewise on your new boat when the ice thaws (saw that thread, congrats, hopefully i can swing something similar for this season)

#6 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

When I fish lakers on lakes other than Simcoe I always have one light action rig setup with minnows on bottom. 4lb test is doable but I prefer 6lb. On my other rod I like 8-10lb test for jigging with something heavier.

#7 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

When I fish lakers on lakes other than Simcoe I always have one light action rig setup with minnows on bottom. 4lb test is doable but I prefer 6lb. On my other rod I like 8-10lb test for jigging with something heavier.

You ever hit a laker on the light action? How did it hold up lol?

#8 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

hey i'm gonna be going up to my cottage for family day, never really ice fished much..

the is 4lb line enough? i was just gonna do a pretty standard split sinker setup with a small bait hook, through the mouth or back(dorsal area).

I'm thinking of trying one of those rapala jigging lures too

Hope you enjoy your ice fishing outing with your family. Here are a few things I do that seem to work. If the Lakers at your cottage are under 5lbs then your 4lb test will work. If you know they are bigger I'd up your line to 6-8.
I hook the minnow thorugh the back just behind the dorsal fin. Be careful not to go to deep and hit the spin or your minnow will die. I find the minnow swims more freely hooked this way. I also use red hooks. They have ones made specifically for live bait. Any tackle shop will have them, but Cdn Tire does for sure. To keep the minnow from tangling up the line I make what is called a drop-shot rig. Get yourself some small 3-way swivels. attach your main line to one, then a short piece (about 12"-15" to one of the other rings. You can then use your split shot on this short piece which keeps your weights below your minnow. Tie another piece about 8"-10" long with your hook to the remaining ring. This rig allows the minow to swin around and not tangle up in the line. Drop your line to the bottom until it goes slack and then wind it back up until it hangs straight . Your minnow is now right in the Lakers face. Enjoy, and keep us posted.

#9 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

You ever hit a laker on the light action? How did it hold up lol?

Yup I've hit lots of small 1-3lb lakers on lake joe and rosseau with 4lb test and the ultra light. The biggest I've got on 4lb test was 30" long and around 9 or 10 lbs it was an epic battle that probably lasted 10 minutes. Fun stuff for sure.

Fishing lakers on Simcoe compared to some of the northern lakes is like night and day. Sometimes you have to go ultra light or you won't get anything.

#10 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yup I've hit lots of small 1-3lb lakers on lake joe and rosseau with 4lb test and the ultra light. The biggest I've got on 4lb test was 30" long and around 9 or 10 lbs it was an epic battle that probably lasted 10 minutes. Fun stuff for sure.

Fishing lakers on Simcoe compared to some of the northern lakes is like night and day. Sometimes you have to go ultra light or you won't get anything.

That's awsome I always figured light gear would be too light for lakers! A 10lbs fish on light gear would be quite the epic battle indeed! May have to try it!

#11 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hope you enjoy your ice fishing outing with your family. Here are a few things I do that seem to work. If the Lakers at your cottage are under 5lbs then your 4lb test will work. If you know they are bigger I'd up your line to 6-8.
I hook the minnow thorugh the back just behind the dorsal fin. Be careful not to go to deep and hit the spin or your minnow will die. I find the minnow swims more freely hooked this way. I also use red hooks. They have ones made specifically for live bait. Any tackle shop will have them, but Cdn Tire does for sure. To keep the minnow from tangling up the line I make what is called a drop-shot rig. Get yourself some small 3-way swivels. attach your main line to one, then a short piece (about 12"-15" to one of the other rings. You can then use your split shot on this short piece which keeps your weights below your minnow. Tie another piece about 8"-10" long with your hook to the remaining ring. This rig allows the minow to swin around and not tangle up in the line. Drop your line to the bottom until it goes slack and then wind it back up until it hangs straight . Your minnow is now right in the Lakers face. Enjoy, and keep us posted.

Yeah I think i'll just be safe and buy 100 yards of 8 lb.

I like the rig you posted, and thanks for the step by step on how to put it together... one question though.. do you just use one split shot for the weight? seems a little bit light (i know trout can be finicky though)

also would a hook tied straight up 12 inches above an egg sinker work?(i dont seem to have many problems with this setup tangling, classic and simple setup and I don't see why not.)

So i'll try some jigging spoons, bucktail jigheads, and jigging lures with one rod, and the drop shot rig you mentioned with the other, thanks.

and do a drop shot live bait with the other

#12 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I use an egg sinker for drop shot setup. Split shots might work in some shallow water but the egg is easy to tie on

#13 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I use an egg sinker for drop shot setup. Split shots might work in some shallow water but the egg is easy to tie on

yeah i've always seen it like this, but obviously i don't have much experience with the rig

#14 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yeah I think i'll just be safe and buy like 100 yards of 8 lb.

I like the rig you posted, and thanks for the step by step on how to put it together... one question though.. do you just use one split shot for the weight? seems a little bit light (i know trout can be finicky though)

also would a hook tied straight up 12 inches above an egg sinker work?(i dont seem to have many problems with this setup tangling, classic and simple setup and I don't see why not.)

So i'll try some jigging spoons, bucktail jigheads, and jigging lures with one rod, and the drop shot rig you mentioned with the other, thanks.

and do a drop shot live bait with the other

There are actual drop-shot weights you can buy, but with split shot you can add as many or various sized until you get the right balance. Tying the hook directly to the line works better for Smallmouth and more aggressive fish that just attach the bait. Lakers can be (as you said) finicky and the more they are fished the finickier they get. They are more apt to run into your line when the look is tied directly to the main line. Also, I think it impedes the movement of the minnow because it is dragging your weight around as well. If you are going to keep your fish to eat, I find the rig I dicribed works better. The fish is more likely to take the minnow in and you can get a better hook set.

Experiment. That is how you learn what works, and it may be differrent on different lakes......... Have fun

#15 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

There are actual drop-shot weights you can buy, but with split shot you can add as many or various sized until you get the right balance. Tying the hook directly to the line works better for Smallmouth and more aggressive fish that just attach the bait. Lakers can be (as you said) finicky and the more they are fished the finickier they get. They are more apt to run into your line when the look is tied directly to the main line. Also, I think it impedes the movement of the minnow because it is dragging your weight around as well. If you are going to keep your fish to eat, I find the rig I dicribed works better. The fish is more likely to take the minnow in and you can get a better hook set.

Experiment. That is how you learn what works, and it may be differrent on different lakes......... Have fun

cool, I was just curious as to why and you gave me good reasons, I'll try out both and let you guys know how it goes.

thanks for all the info, il pay it forward one day

#16 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Just to add to J'snest's awesome advice about the drop-shot rig:

The drop-shot specific weights are good for when your hook is going directly on the mainline and it usually has a swivel attached to prevent line twist. If you're using a 3-way swivel and different lines for you bait and weight anyways there is no need to use a drop-shot specific weight IMO. The split shot will actually be easier to balance and they will be less likely to snag in my experience.

Just so you know though I've never tried this for trout just bass but I hope it helps.

#17 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Backwoods I'm curious why you don't fish for trout? You seem to into fishing why not expand?

#18 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yah it is definitely something I want to pick up!

I've fished my whole life but I was more in to hockey and football when I was younger so I never felt restricted by only hitting up the bass season. Now that I don't play other sports seriously and I have a break from school I'm hopelessly addicted to fishing and plan on trying out a bunch of new species!

#19 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

thanks guys, I have everything to set up a drop shot setup now, and i'm gonna pick up a couple of jigging spoons/lures and bucktail jigs before I go.

#20 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Just to add to J'snest's awesome advice about the drop-shot rig:

The drop-shot specific weights are good for when your hook is going directly on the mainline and it usually has a swivel attached to prevent line twist. If you're using a 3-way swivel and different lines for you bait and weight anyways there is no need to use a drop-shot specific weight IMO. The split shot will actually be easier to balance and they will be less likely to snag in my experience.

Just so you know though I've never tried this for trout just bass but I hope it helps.

every bit helps, and that cleared things up for me.. ive always just used split shots and standard egg sinkers and haven't had huge problems with twisting, maybe I'll try them out eventually though if theyre not super expensive