• 3,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Materials Used:
White&Pink Strung Marabou
1/2 oz (i think) painted jig
lead wire
2X uni yarn fluorescent orange

Posted Image

Hopefully I get get myself to back away from the tubes and spoons Friday to give this jig a true test.

#2 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

very nice should work well. In the deep water I have been using light green and orange jigs, I have some white ones but have not used them yet. I like the swarmers and direct contact with just a little flash on them

#3 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

It should be a killer. Just don't come back and tell us that you really killed them. Having being skunked in every ice outing this year would make me envious :-(...JK

#4 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

It should be a killer. Just don't come back and tell us that you really killed them. Having being skunked in every ice outing this year would make me envious :-(...JK

Just keep at it you will get into some fish, if you get sick of skunks just head out for some perch.

Sometimes I don't even mind a skunking on the ice I just chill in the hut, cook up some sausages n bacon, smoke darts and listen to Howard stern and slam pints if I'm not driving lol

#5 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Lookin good there bud!

#6 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

very nice :cool:

#7 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

that's a hot lookin jig, hope it looks as good to the fish as it looks to the fishers!

#8 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

It probably will work. Will it work better than the old faithfuls? Doubt it.

I tried experimenting with some homemade goby imitations a few years back for Simcoe. Caught fish but I still go back to the old faithful half and half williams and white tube. ;-)

#9 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

How do you rig the white tube?

#10 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

How do you rig the white tube?

Take a look at how they come rigged from the store, I think you just want them to hang vertically. If you are using them in bad boys or swarmers you just kinda slide them on I think

#11 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is the tube I managed to ice my first laker on. Its a 5/16oz swim jig, with the vertical eye placement instead of the horizontal! Tied directly to my line, although I use a leader I didnt in this pic for visual purposes. The longer hook allows for the hook to sit further back in the tube since lakers have a tendence to just swipe at baits. Alot of guys use a stinger for that very reason. Although a few fish we caught at the GTG just inhaled the spoons!
Posted Image

#12 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Everyone has there preference on how to rig tubes.

Heres how I rig mine:

I like the 3" white power tubes they sell at CT.

1/8oz shot inserted into the tube first then a 1/4oz matzuo sickle jig head then a stinger hook attached to the jig head. Works well for me anyway.

#13 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Looking good NADO. Spin some up in white :cool:

#14 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

ran out of white, that one is half white but u cant really see it with the white paper. Made another one just now with black and green marabou, basically just using whatever I can find lol.

#15 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

That jig will work, i would fish it! trout are dumb and will hit almost anything presented correctly (not trying to say you jig sucks or anything). why the lead wire? i like my trout jigs to hang as horizontal as possible. As for tube rigging, i use a 3/8 or 1/2 oz tube jig head pushed in only half way so it sits level and swims well! trim the tails just a little longer than the hook.. you can also use a bad boys in a tube. swammers i use i high quailty swimbait head by northland. 1 tried about 6 or 7 types of heads till i found a front-weighted type that sits level at rest

#16 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

Everyone has there preference on how to rig tubes.

Heres how I rig mine:

I like the 3" white power tubes they sell at CT.

1/8oz shot inserted into the tube first then a 1/4oz matzuo sickle jig head then a stinger hook attached to the jig head. Works well for me anyway.

the most natural way, tube jig is good as well half oz get u there fast!