• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

the 30 inch MH is a good combo, i have the reel still but lost the rod when a pike decided to drag it down the hole lol I think its 18 or 20 for the combo at sail.

#22 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

the 30 inch MH is a good combo, i have the reel still but lost the rod when a pike decided to drag it down the hole lol I think its 18 or 20 for the combo at sail.

yeah, can't go wrong with that when it comes with a decent rod, pike can be bastards like that sometimes haha

#23 RedCat

RedCat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Jump into a Jason Mitchell combo or just buy the reel. The reel has 5 +1 ball bearings. I haven'y held one in my hands but it seems decent.

My personal favorite is Quantum reels. I have had a few on my ice rods for well over a decade with no fails. The Storm combo I just bought had a decent reel but the line capacity is not enough for lakers, 65yds-6lbs is all it holds.

http://clamoutdoors....chell-reel.html

#24 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

i think the wobble on a heavier spinning reel puts the fussy ones off it 1000 sonara are something is ok , float reel probably best the bait fallls so naturally. personally i use a flyreel that is stripped to its bushings if you work on it enought a half oz takes the line out reelly smooth.

#25 RedCat

RedCat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

might grab a rapala squall and try it out, 25 bucks for a 36" MH rod is worth it imo, so I'll think of it as gettingg the reel for free (saw this deal at wal mart with a quick search). thanks

I'd be all over that!!!!

I just got a Storm 32" MH for $20. The rod is all I could ask for but the reel is low capacity. I bought it for the rod mostly...... the reel was a bonus. I needed a stiffer rod to work lipless crank baits through the ice.... backbone for hooksets is a plus, the longer rod helps the hooks stay in once the hook is set on a barbless set-up

After readibng all of this I am wondering how anyone could beat up an ice reel???? I am about the roughest on equipment that I know of..... heck a few years ago I landed a 26lbs catfish on my UL rod and reel with 6lbs test line. That Quantum combo is well over a decade old back then. It is still in use today.

Longer rods is where it is at these days for icing big fish. I am in barbless country and a longer rod helps keep those fish on longer. The right rod gives you more room for error.

I have a few rods on order. One is a Frabill Combo and I will tell you more about the reel when it gets here

#26 Jason15

Jason15

Sunfish

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I use a 13 white noise combo it seems to work well

#27 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

After readibng all of this I am wondering how anyone could beat up an ice reel???? I am about the roughest on equipment that I know of..... heck a few years ago I landed a 26lbs catfish on my UL rod and reel with 6lbs test line. That Quantum combo is well over a decade old back then. It is still in use today.

I bet your reel isnt 100% plastic though. Its hard to find any metal on a lot of these ice reels that come on the cheap combo's. Aint nobody got time for plastic when it comes to ice fishing.

#28 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'd be all over that!!!!

I just got a Storm 32" MH for $20. The rod is all I could ask for but the reel is low capacity. I bought it for the rod mostly...... the reel was a bonus. I needed a stiffer rod to work lipless crank baits through the ice.... backbone for hooksets is a plus, the longer rod helps the hooks stay in once the hook is set on a barbless set-up

Longer rods is where it is at these days for icing big fish. I am in barbless country and a longer rod helps keep those fish on longer. The right rod gives you more room for error.

I have a few rods on order. One is a Frabill Combo and I will tell you more about the reel when it gets here

did you get your frabil one for pike yet? (i remember you saying you had to pick it up from US)

the thing literally just fell apart on me man, while I was reeling, I wouldn't say im easy on my stuff, but i can confidently say I didn't even have time to abuse this piece of equipment yet, I was using the rod/reed the whole time and never even dropped it.

here it is, I highly recommend the rod, but buy it seperate, don't buy the combo imo if anyone is thinking of this ugly stik, just buy the rod seperate (sail has it) and get a decent reel, sail even has the avocet 4 silver for 25 bucks.

#29 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Jump into a Jason Mitchell combo or just buy the reel. The reel has 5 +1 ball bearings. I haven'y held one in my hands but it seems decent.

My personal favorite is Quantum reels. I have had a few on my ice rods for well over a decade with no fails. The Storm combo I just bought had a decent reel but the line capacity is not enough for lakers, 65yds-6lbs is all it holds.

http://clamoutdoors....chell-reel.html

missed your post earlier, just saw it today..

this is what i was looking for, reels for a reasonable price that people have had experience with, thanks.

right now my plan is to buy the rapala squall combo(MH, 28", from sail), if the reel craps out on me eventually then i'll get either a clam ice reel, mitchel avocet 4 silver, or a quantum, (im leaning towards the first 2, have had bad experiences with quantum)