• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

This morning i was fishing (with my gear not fly)on a very urban(busy) river and when i went down to the pool i wanted to fish there was a fly dude in it workin down with his indicator rig. no prob. it was a longish pool, and i could have low-holed him like i would have another pinner(if he was anchored lol), but i waited and told him to fish through first when he told me to jump in below. we shot the breeze about flyfishing while he fished, and buddy offered me a fly, which i thanked him for and dropped in my box of hooks. now heres my quandry- should i have offered something back? i know its totally rude to not take the fly offered (not that i would) but im still learning the "ways of the fly" i didnt have my flybox with me, but i could have offered up my fave bead colour i guess. can anyone help me with the general convention of "the fly trade'' ?

And to Steve pleasure to meet a gentleman on that stretch. dont see too many. thanks for the sj and if we meet again ill hook you up with a secret weapon of mine

#2 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

very nice to head of a gentleman on the river.

I enjoy a bit of conversation on the river as I'm often by myself for long periods of time and don't mind having a chat but some can be outright rude on the rivers.

I have offered a number of fly fisherman beads without them taking them haha they like to stick with their flies.

On the bead topic I just got a bunch of lip on another board on the bead topic with a bunch of people calling me not just a liner but an outright snagger...

#3 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

this guy had beads in his arsenal, sorry riv but i dont really want to start the bead debate here aswell.

#4 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Sorry my bad

#5 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

I often give flies away on the water, though I do so never expecting this to prompt an exchange of sorts...so wouldn't worry that you've transgressed some secret fly code...Posted Image

#6 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I would consider it for what it was and we need more of- a random act of kindness, simply pay it forward someday. I often wonder if I'm transgressing some unspoken secret river codes as well so I simply try to follow the golden rule.

#7 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

"pass it forward" next time your on the river give something to someone else! and maybe they will do as as well.
i was fishing a small creek once, i was getting some nice fish on a panther spinner, i had a few of the same in my box, a father and son were also fishing just up from me. the father came down to where i was and chatted for a bit. he told me he was not haveing much luck and asked what i was using to get the few i did, so i showed him what i had on, he didnt have anything but worms and hook for him self and his kid, so i gave him one of my "lucky" #2 panther spinners, not even 10 min later his son was catching fish... (trout not shiners)

it really makes ya feel good inside knowing just one small gift of a lure, spinner or fly can make someones fishing day that much better!!!!

#8 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

thanks guys. ive only been "fly fishing" for a couple years, but have tied flies for pinning on and off since i was 17 (i still suck!) and have given lots away. just didnt know if it was customary to give one back. i have never expected anything in return wen giving them away either. guess that should have been a clue

#9 tightlines

tightlines

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Over the years I have gave flies to other fisherman and don't expect anything in return. I have provided flies to Spin fisherman,float fisherman and flyfisherman.