16 replies to this topic

#1 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Handling

• Keep the fish in the water as much as possible and handle the fish gently.
  • Reduce handling that removes the slimy protective coating on fish.
  • Do not squeeze or touch the gills. Grasp the fish just behind the gill covers. For panfish and bass, it is best to grasp the fish by the lower lip.
  • Use long-nose pliers to remove the hook quickly without tearing or injuring the fish. If the fish is hooked deeply, cut the line and leave the hook in when the fish is released.
  • Never put a fish that you may release on a stringer, use a functional livewell or release the fish immediately. Remember that all fish kept (in a livewell, on a stringer, etc.) and not immediately released count toward your daily catch and retain or possession limit.

Photographing

• Be ready ahead of time! Take pictures quickly, minimizing the amount of time the fish is out of the water.
  • Hold the fish in a horizontal position, supporting its weight with your arm and hands. Do not hold large fish in a vertical position.

#2 dockmuskie

dockmuskie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

The horizontal position is a good point. Growing up all the trophy fish pictures I saw were vertical shots and I just assumed that was what should be done. Luckily sites such as this have changed my opinion on that.

I do have a question open for anyone however. What is the best hand placement for larger pike or muskie? Is it not somewhat necessary to slide one hand under the gill plate or would a hand under the head/chin and a hand under the belly area be sufficient?

#3 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Here is some tips on releasing musky.

MCI Muskie Fishing Catch & Release Tips

• The ability of future generations to enjoy species of fish like the muskellunge is based in part, on catch and release fishing today. The quality of the fishery depends on how carefully anglers release their fish. Over the years, a series of generally accepted handling procedures and suggestions have been developed by the catch and release community. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Match the tackle to the fish you're after. For muskies, this means heavy action rods and reels, strong line, and high quality snaps, swivels, split rings, leaders, and hooks. This will allow you to land your fish in a reasonable amount of time without putting undue stress on the fish. It will also minimize the chance of a muskie breaking off and swimming away with your favorite lure stuck in its mouth.
  • Have your landing equipment ready. Recommended landing methods include the use of a large Muskie net or a cradle. The hand landing method is recommended only for the very experienced, and even then, accidents can still happen. (Muskies have very sharp teeth and can do quite a bit of damage to misplaced hands and fingers, not to mention all those big treble hooks!)
  • Have your release tools ready and within easy reach. Must haves include: needle-nose pliers (for hook removal), jaw spreaders, and small compound bolt cutters (for cutting hooks if deeply embedded, or hooked near sensitive areas like the eyes, gills, or undersides). Additionally, you should carry a seamstress' measuring tape (for getting those length and girth measurements), and a camera (for those necessary photo's).
  • Keep your landing area ready. Keep the floor of your boat clear of clutter and keep loose hooks and lures in a tackle box, not on the floor or seat. This will help to avoid many potential accidents as well as give you plenty of room to land that trophy fish!
  • Practice proper release and resuscitation techniques. Always remember to minimize "out of water" time. If possible, remove the hooks and take your measurements while the fish is still in the water. Always revive the fish before letting it go. Sometimes it's almost instantaneous, and sometimes revival can take up to 20 minutes or more ... so be patient. Hold the fish by the tail section before the caudal fin with one hand, while using your other hand to gently balance the fish under its belly behind the pectoral fins. This gives the fish additional support. Gently roll the fish from side to side to ensure that the gill covers are moving softly. This helps force water through its gills and increase oxygen intake. When the fish is strong enough to wriggle away and stay upright, it's a candidate for successful release. If the fish is having problems maintaining its balance after release, the revival process should be continued.
  • Summer release considerations. During midsummer on some waterbodies, particularly shallow areas, water temperatures can reach the high 70's to low 80's. With water temperatures this high, muskies are subject to high rates of mortality due to angling stress. In these situations avoid muskie angling if you possibly can. Otherwise, reduce stress factors by reducing "fight time" to the absolute minimum. Also, the captured muskie should not be boated, practice water release and handling only, photograph the fish in the water, ensure proper resuscitation, and stay with the fish until it's fully recovered.
  • Never lift a muskie vertically by its jaw.
    Proper-Muskie-Hold.jpg
    This has the potential of causing severe injury to the fish especially if it's a big one. When lifting a muskie for a photo or any other reason, always do so horizontally using your other hand to support it under its belly. Also, never ever hold any fish by its eye sockets. This definitely causes damage to the fish.
  • Bleeding and muskie. During the landing process, you may sometimes note a little blood emerging from the gill area. These slight injuries are not usually fatal to the fish and they should still be released. It is also fairly common with muskie to note bleeding from the fins and tail. The cause of this bleeding is not fully understood, however it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the fish and the muskie should still be released. Generally, when fish are bleeding from the gills, the angler must make a value judgement as to whether it's worthwhile releasing the fish. If the fish is bleeding profusely, or arterial blood (pulsating) is observed, then the fish should be kept only if it is within the minimum size limit. By law you must release the fish if it's not minimum size regardless of its survival prospects.
  • Consider fishing barbless. Removing or reducing the barbs on the hooks on your muskie lures has several advantages. It makes removal of the hooks from the fish much easier. And, in the event of an accident, it makes removal of those giant hooks out of you much easier!
  • Consider a fiberglass reproduction. If you catch a trophy sized fish, instead of keeping it to get mounted, consider releasing it and getting a fiberglass reproduction instead. Most taxidermists produce these replicas and their quality is absolutely stunning! All you need are the length and girth measurements, and a picture of the fish and they can produce a beautiful reproduction out of fiberglass. Unlike skin mounts, a fiberglass replica will last "forever" and you'll get the chance to catch the fish again in the future. Muskies are too valuable to have the joy of catching them just once.
  • Finally, if you're not sure what to do, don't be afraid to ask. You can get additional information from other experienced anglers, through fishing magazines and books, and on the Internet. If you join Muskies Canada you will learn about muskie fishing and catch and release, and you'll get to meet a great bunch of people who share your interest in this wonderful resource.

This post has been promoted to an article

#4 dockmuskie

dockmuskie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Here is some tips on releasing musky.

Thanks!

#5 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for this Nick...

#6 Mr.Fishington

Mr.Fishington

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Very informative read I have never caught a Muskie but I hope to one day and this is great thanks

#7 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Handling is the same as Pike for the most part. These fish are top predators in the water but are extremely fragile in human hands. I once caught a Pike that had part of his upper left lip gone. I assume from bad handling.

#8 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ya i agree with Kit, i also find a pike is alot more delicate out of the water when ur handling them then lets say a bass is. Most likely because they are such a long skinny fish.

#9 Jan

Jan

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Awesome and very important post!

#10 Lure

Lure

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

greats post ...before going fishing do some research on the lakes or rivers you're going, have the gears above ready always, musky has a razor sharp teeth. 

#11 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

unfortunately the fish of a thousand casts never ended my line, caught a few pike, but never a musky, hence i was told you could never find the 2 species on the same body of water according to the locals where i shore fish for pike and largemouth, maybe they are right or my baits are to tiny for the big mommas rumored to be lurking around there,

#12 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Photographing

• Be ready ahead of time! Take pictures quickly, minimizing the amount of time the fish is out of the water.
  • Hold the fish in a horizontal position, supporting its weight with your arm and hands. Do not hold large fish in a vertical position.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to hold your breath for as long as you have the fish out of water.  When you feel the need to breath, the fish does too.

Don't hate, conservate! B)

#13 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to hold your breath for as long as you have the fish out of water.  When you feel the need to breath, the fish does too.

Don't hate, conservate! B)

Hot-button issue...tread carefully FG...

#14 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

My goal this year is more in-water shots. Hero pics are getting to bore me. Out of 150+ steelhead this fall i have about 15 pics

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

think this needs a bump

#16 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:24 AM

If you plan on keeping the fish for food, you can hold it however you want. You will have to kill the fish before taking it home. Some people like to hold two fish in vertical. However, catch and release of bass is highly recommended because they take 13-15 years to grow large (5lbs). If you hold a 5lb vertical you may break its jaw and it may starve to death afterwards if you decide to release, there's a danger angle to be avoided. It's best to hold it vertical perfectly, however any large fish is best held horizontal, including carp. But I find vertical position makes the bass look larger.

#17 ChainzOWN

ChainzOWN

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

Hello EveryBody i love fishing and i love the product relates and help to give a best fishing experiance to me.

i am still using this Cam for capturing the fish catch. i hope you will also like it

https://goo.gl/vDxGAZ

I am waiting to receive the reviews then I will share the tips for this #GoFIshCAM

Thanks