• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Jiggin

Jiggin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm as guilty as the next guy of taking a picture of a fish out of water.  I've never "beached" a fish, or left it lying in the dirt, that seems like a really stupid thing to do unless you're going to be eating it.

But I'll pick a bass up by the lip and hold it out for a photo op, then give it a gentle supported release.  I'll set a walleye on my hand for a picture, I'll support a pike horizontally and take a picture.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with that, and you'd be hard pressed to sell me that it's detrimental to the fish to have it out of water for the picture.

That said, I take pictures of maybe 1 in 20 fish I catch.

#42 Donnyt

Donnyt

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

"So no more colourised "glamour" shots of the thousand dollar reel and hand made rod with a beached trout gasping for air laying in the dirt in front of it....? "

How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod relavent ?

#43 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

"So no more colourised "glamour" shots of the thousand dollar reel and hand made rod with a beached trout gasping for air laying in the dirt in front of it....? "

How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod relavent ?

Where did you see that Donny? On this Post? Somewhere else?

I'm asking because I'd like to see that Picture. I went through the 3 Pages and didn't see anything like that. Maybe I missed it.

"How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod rela(e)vent ?" Lost me on that Question. Unless it's part of the Fish Picure. Yes? No?           

#44 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

Where did you see that Donny? On this Post? Somewhere else?

I'm asking because I'd like to see that Picture. I went through the 3 Pages and didn't see anything like that. Maybe I missed it.

"How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod rela(e)vent ?" Lost me on that Question. Unless it's part of the Fish Picure. Yes? No?           

scroll through the 100pages of the UPT

anti_troll_spray_zps654a9ba8.jpg

#45 Donnyt

Donnyt

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:41 AM

Hit previous twice and 3 posts down . Pretty easy to find

#46 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

scroll through the 100pages of the UPT

anti_troll_spray_zps654a9ba8.jpg

OH! Grow Up & Give it up will you Please. It's getting really boring and out of hand. Why is it that you seem to think that my question was some sort of TROLLING!!

Donnyt didn't, the one I asked the question to (Not You) didn't  have any problem answering my Question. Why do YOU have to make an issue out of it?? ACAIN!!

You're the one doing the Trolling here! NOT ME!!

#47 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

Hit previous twice and 3 posts down . Pretty easy to find

Thank you Donny. I appreciate your Straight Forward Answer.

#48 Kestrel

Kestrel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

I don't think he's on this forum, but the fishing pics he posts on a couple other boards are spectacular. All done with the fish's welfare in-mind.

www.mjleung.com

#49 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I don't think he's on this forum, but the fishing pics he posts on a couple other boards are spectacular. All done with the fish's welfare in-mind.

www.mjleung.com

Who? Donnyt? Sure he is, otherwise how would he be able to answer my question?

In fact this is his Member Home Page.  http://www.ontariofi...r/30597-donnyt/

I had a look at your Web Site Kestrel.  Nice Photos my man!!!

#50 Kestrel

Kestrel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Who? Donnyt? Sure he is, otherwise how would he be able to answer my question?

In fact this is his Member Home Page.  http://www.ontariofi...r/30597-donnyt/

I had a look at your Web Site Kestrel.  Nice Photos my man!!!

I was referring to MJL from OFC/FF.NET. That's his link and those are his pictures. I put it up as an example that fish don't need to be shake n baked in mud or sand to get a good picture.

#51 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

I was referring to MJL from OFC/FF.NET. That's his link and those are his pictures. I put it up as an example that fish don't need to be shake n baked in mud or sand to get a good picture.

Okay. Thank you Kestrel. :razz:

#52 Borms

Borms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

Note to self - avoid glamour shots.

As someone new to fishing, I've made my mistakes in handling fish (see my avatar).  For a novice it's pretty exciting to pull in something big, soon they all start to look the same and the photo ops aren't as frequent. 

I've done some reading on handling fish, and how long to keep them out of the water.  Don't realize how sensitive these creatures are until you read up on it.

Still struggling with hook removal at times, trying to do the least amount of damage as possible.  All the things you learn with experience.

#53 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:15 AM

We've all been there before dude. My first trout flopped around in the mud and swam off looking like a catfish with my hands shaking from the excitement. But it is best to keep the fishes welfare in mind. There are also more acceptable practices compared to others. Bass guys vertically hold fish and no one says a thing but hold a trout or muskie like that and be prepared to be punished by the long arm of the internet law. In fact its probably really bad holding any fish like that because they aren't designed to be... wel... held like that. Anyways - that's why the forums exist - knowledge really is power. Welcome to the world of online fishing forms :)

#54 sms7biz

sms7biz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

So no more colourised "glamour" shots of the thousand dollar reel and hand made rod with a beached trout gasping for air laying in the dirt in front of it....? :cry:

Agree with you!

#55 AnsonBadwron

AnsonBadwron

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

LOL.......Great post!

#56 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

Spammy

#57 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Great article. Always wondered guys putting rod in there mouth then taking picture of fish. Think it would be great to see put hook in your mouth and let fish take picture. Just saying to each there own

#58 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

1 shot would be enough. Saw a dude hold pike by the gill plate and do multiple shots...and even passersby were taking shots with him holding fish...he was a star....

#59 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

IMG_1194.PNG

#60 ApacheFishingVentures

ApacheFishingVentures

Sunfish

• Members
  • 80 posts