• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Not a quick question today more of a longer one. I recent purchased 2 rods, a crankbait and a flipping stick. I know both at the same time, my mother was not too impressed. But they are twins and they are purdy. :mrgreen: 

The crankbait is a 7' medium heavy with moderate fast tip.

The flipping stick is a 7'6" medium heavy with an extra fast tip.

So needless to stay I'm under supplied in the reel department. I have an extra Shimano Cardiff 401A floating around, might be spool in braid but beyond that i will need another reel. So i come to you guy asking, what would you recommend for myself in the $150 dollar range? Also any recommendation on your favourite line type and lbs for these applications? i"m always learning and i like to hear how you guys set up

#2 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

revo sx, with bps reel trade in you should be under 150. Braid for flipping, mono/ fluoro for cranks

#3 inthecover

inthecover

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

I also just got a flipping stick a Dobyns Champion 7"6 and i am pairing it with a Shimano Chronarch. The Chronarch is $199.00 but worth ever cent, perfict flipping reel. For the crankbait rod i would pair it with a Shimano Curado which is $149.00. I have used a lot of different reels but Shimano just feels so good and they really last.

As far as line for the flipping stick Power Pro Super Slick 65lb.

For your Crank rod i would use Sufix fluro 20lb.

#4 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

I assume you are targeting bass with both of these rods. For reels, Basspro has the Diawa Lexa 100 on sale right now for just over $100. It is a very well built reel and has extremely good reviews. You could go with a shimano curado,  shimano chronarch or abu garcia revo sx. All of these reels are more expensive then the diawa. I have used shimano my whole life and the cheaper reels(under $300) are decent. 

As for line there are many factors to consider. For crankbaits, if you plan on running shallower crankbaits the mono-filament is more then likely all you need because most mono floats. For bass fishing in open water I will use 10 lb test. If I plan on using it in light weeds I might bump it up to 12 or 14lb at the most. If I'm fishing heavy shallow weeds then I will use 20-30 lb braid because the braid will actually cut through the weeds easier and will give you the extra strength.

If you are fishing deeper structure with deeper crankbaits(10-25 feet) then fluorocarbon line is better because it sinks and will allow you to get the lures deeper then mono. If you are in open clear water 10 lb test is fine. The benefit to fluorocarbon is that is is nearly invisible so if you fish clear water a lot it would be beneficial.

If plan on fishing heavy cover all the time then braid is the way to go. It has no stretch and and allows the bait to have instant reaction with your rod tip. I suggest 30lb test braid if your fishing really heavy crap!

For your flipping stick you really only have one option. 40,50,65lb test. It you plan on flipping light weeds and cover then 40lb is ok, if your going to get into the nasty stuff 65 lb is what you want.

Hopefully this doesn't confuse you too much, Good Luck!

#5 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Wow great advice guys.

Braedon I'm not too experienced with baitcasters yet but I got an okuma calera for about 80$ and I really like the feel of it and the tuning components so far. If you're willing to go up to 150 tho then I'm sure u could get something better.

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

You can't go wrong with okuma reels. I've tried ahimano daiwa but I'm loving the okuma spinning reels. But I guess its just a personal choice. Picked up 1 yesterday which I will use for walleye and pike. If you're a member at lebarons I know they will absorb the tax for rod and reels right now. Cool stuff.

#7 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

If you need to stretch a buck:

$100 mark: abu garcia orra sx; pfluger trion.  Both centrifuge brake systems.

$50/60 mark:  abu garcia black max and silver max.  Both magnetic brake systems.

Gear gets better at the $200 mark, but fishing does not have to cost you your college fund.

#8 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

I appreciate all the help guys, im heading up to bass pro tomorrow. NickEvans, not confusing at all, makes sense. BWB and rich ace, havent used an okuma yet but i will definitely take a look. I use primarily shimano reels on my other rods, ie Saros, Citica, Stradic. So I was curious to see other brands, that compared as well. And yes I will be using these for bass,mostly pigeon lake up in bobcaygeon.

#9 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Pigeon lake is great for bass...i have a friend who fish for walleye there and they will hit bass presentation too. Hopefully you will have a very productive trip. Had set up a new gear. Fenwick Eagle GT cost me $45 and an Okuma Trio $55. will be casting plugs until pike closes.

#10 Martyr

Martyr

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Not a quick question today more of a longer one. I recent purchased 2 rods, a crankbait and a flipping stick. I know both at the same time, my mother was not too impressed. But they are twins and they are purdy. :mrgreen:

The crankbait is a 7' medium heavy with moderate fast tip.

The flipping stick is a 7'6" medium heavy with an extra fast tip.

So needless to stay I'm under supplied in the reel department. I have an extra Shimano Cardiff 401A floating around, might be spool in braid but beyond that i will need another reel. So i come to you guy asking, what would you recommend for myself in the $150 dollar range? Also any recommendation on your favourite line type and lbs for these applications? i"m always learning and i like to hear how you guys set up

I have the exact same specs on my Compre Crankbait Rod, which i think is great rod, i paired it with the new Shimano Citica in 6:5 gear ratio and i really like it, casts far and surprisingly smooth for the money. For my flipping stick (7"6 Heavy/Xfast) i am using the new Shimano Curado 7:1 gear ratio which i find to be not as smooth or cast as far as my Citica. In general i like 6:5 baitcaster reel for general purpose cranking and a 7:1 for any pitch/punch with as light a reel weight as possible. (the reel size is not as important here since the fishing is close quarters, meaning you can downsize spool size as long as you do not sacrifice max drag power.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reel, shimano, abu garcia, quantum, bass, walleye, flipping, crankbait