• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

This is a great video I found for some people for Jig selection when going for trout.

Attached Images

• 514242e34ead0UltGLuVKqc.png

#2 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yeah! i still use rattle jigs and attractant and they work all the time and like he said I used light color for clear water and darker color for cloudy water.  

Hehehe! Great minds think alike.

#3 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

why would dark colors be better for dark/mucky water? i always thought, if the water is dark, then wouldnt the brighter colored lures be easier seen by the fish? And if the water is clear, then visibility is good enough for the darker lures....I guess I was WAY off lol

#4 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

why would dark colors be better for dark/mucky water? i always thought, if the water is dark, then wouldnt the brighter colored lures be easier seen by the fish? And if the water is clear, then visibility is good enough for the darker lures....I guess I was WAY off lol

it sounds opposite but its correct

#5 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

any particular reason why?

#6 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I can't really explain it but it is always work.  I have tried may different methods but still fall back to the theory that lighter color for clear water and darker color for murkier water.

Hey what work for me and the guy on the video may not work for you.  We live and learn (and share) with trials and errors.  Bottom line is: WE GETTA FISH!

Happy fishing.

#7 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

it sometimes due to the light not getting into the water making your vibrant lures look dull.

#8 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Great share cityboy, thanks for the vid. I'm new to trout fishing too and I'm hoping to hit some lakers this spring. I'll try and make some nice deep swimming spinners for them but my backup plan for when my lures fail is definitely the jig and grub combo. I got a couple of these bad boys a few weeks ago, I'm hoping the colours will work and I want to experiment with some white, blue, red, and chart jigheads. Probably go 1/4oz in the spring and switch it up to 1/2oz later when they're chilling deep.

12428089.jpg

#9 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

You're right about bright colours standing out to a certain extent.

If the water is REALLY murky or if you're going below 20-30 FOW though there isn't enough light to allow the fish to see the colour. In this case what stands out is the profile or "shadow" created by your bait and I'm given to understand that dark colours create a bulkier profile in these conditions.

#10 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Great share cityboy, thanks for the vid. I'm new to trout fishing too and I'm hoping to hit some lakers this spring. I'll try and make some nice deep swimming spinners for them but my backup plan for when my lures fail is definitely the jig and grub combo. I got a couple of these bad boys a few weeks ago, I'm hoping the colours will work and I want to experiment with some white, blue, red, and chart jigheads. Probably go 1/4oz in the spring and switch it up to 1/2oz later when they're chilling deep.

12428089.jpg

those will work fine . Happy fishing ! good luck !

#11 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

You're right about bright colours standing out to a certain extent.

If the water is REALLY murky or if you're going below 20-30 FOW though there isn't enough light to allow the fish to see the colour. In this case what stands out is the profile or "shadow" created by your bait and I'm given to understand that dark colours create a bulkier profile in these conditions.

12428089.jpg

I can't really explain it but it is always work.  I have tried may different methods but still fall back to the theory that lighter color for clear water and darker color for murkier water.

Hey what work for me and the guy on the video may not work for you.  We live and learn (and share) with trials and errors.  Bottom line is: WE GETTA FISH!

Happy fishing.

Yeah! i still use rattle jigs and attractant and they work all the time and like he said I used light color for clear water and darker color for cloudy water.  

Hehehe! Great minds think alike.

if you guys could like the video or subscribe it would be great ! 

thank you 

city-boy

#12 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

So, what type of trout fishing are we talking about here? Lakers, specks, bows? Ice fishing, rivers, lakes?

thx

#13 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

I watched the video on mute and thought it was for lakers but with the sound you can hear that "pools" and not lakes are mentioned so I would guess specks and bows...

I probably should have guessed based on the section it was posted in and the size of the jigs but hey I'm new to the trout game lol :oops:

#14 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

I watched the video on mute and thought it was for lakers but with the sound you can hear that "pools" and not lakes are mentioned so I would guess specks and bows...

I probably should have guessed based on the section it was posted in and the size of the jigs but hey I'm new to the trout game lol :oops:

thats alright . this guy is a buddy of mine. he posts new videos every friday. his other account go hacked so he started a new one. be sure to tune in every friday .

#15 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

i did the opposite all winter, fished bright/glow colour in the mud, and natural in the clear water, and its been working for me.

#16 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

i did the opposite all winter, fished bright/glow colour in the mud, and natural in the clear water, and its been working for me.

sometimes it works different in different seasons

#17 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

So, what type of trout fishing are we talking about here? Lakers, specks, bows? Ice fishing, rivers, lakes?

thx

basically any trout. It depends on what they are feeding on and what season.

#18 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Mr. 89, its all about the fish looking up.  The dark colours will sillohette against the surface in heavily stained water, where as lighter colours will not have the same effect.  This is why black/blue is the best colour to fish muddy water and night time.  Those candy colours are best for cloudy, overcast days and low light conditions.

#19 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Mr. 89, its all about the fish looking up.  The dark colours will sillohette against the surface in heavily stained water, where as lighter colours will not have the same effect.  This is why black/blue is the best colour to fish muddy water and night time.  Those candy colours are best for cloudy, overcast days and low light conditions.

exactly 

#20 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

City boy , you started a very informative thread.