34 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hello,

I am Michael Schinas from Ontario, Canada. I am emailing you today for a sponsorship opportunity. I am 15 years old and have been competitive fishing for 3 years. I have entered 3 bass competitions, but have not been placed high in the rankings. The current fish I primarily go for and specialize in are: Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Tiger Muskie, Catfish. I can benefit you're company by showing a new young face of fishing, reeling in younger audiences. I show great team traits and a friendly attitude towards people, which I think is very important. If you can please contact me back that would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Schinas 

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think it's a nice email. Do you want feedback or are you hoping people will read this and sponsor you?? I have some feedback if you want it.

#3 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I think it's a nice email. Do you want feedback or are you hoping people will read this and sponsor you?? I have some feedback if you want it.

Some feed back please. I am also hoping somebody will sponsor me. I am looking for my first sponsor.

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hello,

I am Michael Schinas from Ontario, Canada. I am emailing you today for a sponsorship opportunity. I am 15 years old and have been competitive fishing for 3 years. I have entered 3 bass competitions, but have not been placed high in the rankings. The current fish I primarily go for and specialize in are: Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Tiger Muskie, Catfish. I can benefit you're company by showing a new young face of fishing, reeling in younger audiences. I show great team traits and a friendly attitude towards people, which I think is very important. If you can please contact me back that would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Schinas 

I would include how you are going to get young people to buy the companies products and some examples of when you influenced young anglers, I would not talk about your friends here but others as it might look like you just want free lures for your friends. How popular are you in the fishing world, is your name known? Enter a bunch more tournaments and try to rank in the top 5 or 3 - this means fishing and fishing really hard in the rain, sleet every condition, even if you don't rank it gets your name around.

Wow, I'm harsh, but I took a stance of a lure/bait/tackle company owner.

#5 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

I would include how you are going to get young people to buy the companies products and some examples of when you influenced young anglers, I would not talk about your friends here but others as it might look like you just want free lures for your friends. How popular are you in the fishing world, is your name known? Enter a bunch more tournaments and try to rank in the top 5 or 3 - this means fishing and fishing really hard in the rain, sleet every condition, even if you don't rank it gets your name around.

Wow, I'm harsh, but I took a stance of a lure/bait/tackle company owner.

thank you so much. I am just trying to get a small sponsor for now. I am entering 3 bass comps this summer. Is it possible you could recommend me to any companies ?   

#6 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

thank you so much. I am just trying to get a small sponsor for now. I am entering 3 bass comps this summer. Is it possible you could recommend me to any companies ?   

I would if I knew any! :D Go online and do some snooping.

#7 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I would if I knew any! :D Go online and do some snooping.

i have been. its very hard haha  :mrgreen:

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

i have been. its very hard haha  :mrgreen:

Good luck!

#9 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Good luck!

thank you so much. If you hear anything about companies I would really appreciate if you can inform me.

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

maybe start with a local tackle shop

#11 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm probably not the best person to give advice because, unless you count free gear, food, and protein bars as currency I've never gone pro at any sport lol. But there are a few things I would recommend.

Fishing isn't like hockey where if you aren't noticed by 17 you're usually done. If you're 15 you still have so much time to succeed, and I wouldn't worry about being sponsored right now. If you;re living at home get a part time job to cover your expenses and spend the rest of your time working towards your goal.

You're already in tourneys and I would say just keep on doing what you're doing. Keep practicing until you're winning or placing consistently. Then, if people aren't already contacting you, it will be easier to go out and network with some companies.

What I wouldn't do is to get discouraged or distracted by what other people say or do, and don't spend too much time partying instead of hitting the water. Almost everyone I know who has gone far in hockey or football has dedicated almost everything to their sport. It is hard to do when you're in high school or university and everyone else is hitting the bottle but if you're working on your game while everyone else is dicking around you'll have a huge edge.

You might also enjoy these articles if you haven't already read them. The Bassdozer site has a ton of other articles about almost everything related to angling for Bass and I would recommend reading every one of them,

http://www.bassdozer...rd/be_pro.shtml

http://www.bassdozer.../turn-pro.shtml

Cheers and best of luck.

#12 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

marketing department care about the following

money and money only--sssoooo-

1. a picture to the right person is a start--a face for thier product-make a small video and start sending it to companies locally as well as ones you see that sponsor other up and comers-

2. you availablity--how much time thier product will be on the water or in the public eye(tournament schedule, locations etc...

3.your talent means very little in marketing eyes unless you are a one off phenom--respectfully speaking if that was the case you would be already wearing a mercury tshirt

4. what market segment you feel you would impact.

5. pick a style and type of fishing--dont dillute yourself as marketing doesnt want to see grey areas they want black and white--easier for them to put you in thier agenda-on the flipside if they want you but they already have a young bass fisherman be prepared to fish tarpon in a heartbeat

6.if you have a unique style, haircut, look in general dont change it unless its offensive--the wheel that squeeks gets the oil my friend

when coke puts out a contest for something to send a video in--one of the first things they look for is product placement--fish the rod you want to get sponsored by--show them that you arent shopping around rrather you wont fish unless you have thier rod in your hand, thier bait on your line or thier name on your back...give them emotion and conviction they will eventually give you a bass boat and money...period

#13 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Remy made some great points.

From what I understand it can be somewhat challenging to get pro sponsorship. 

The companies who sponsor are looking to get their product out to people so they really look at how you will help expose their products to new people.

I have heard it said that becoming a pro guide is a good way to start.

#14 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

market yourself and dont go away--become a bad smell in thier head office and they will address you..to many people lose too many ops because they give up--show your drive and determination--look at britney spears she cant sing worth shite--but she was marketed properly.

#15 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

market yourself and dont go away--become a bad smell in thier head office and they will address you..to many people lose too many ops because they give up--show your drive and determination--look at britney spears she cant sing worth shite--but she was marketed properly.

Remy made some great points.

From what I understand it can be somewhat challenging to get pro sponsorship. 

The companies who sponsor are looking to get their product out to people so they really look at how you will help expose their products to new people.

I have heard it said that becoming a pro guide is a good way to start.

maybe start with a local tackle shop

I'm probably not the best person to give advice because, unless you count free gear, food, and protein bars as currency I've never gone pro at any sport lol. But there are a few things I would recommend.

Fishing isn't like hockey where if you aren't noticed by 17 you're usually done. If you're 15 you still have so much time to succeed, and I wouldn't worry about being sponsored right now. If you;re living at home get a part time job to cover your expenses and spend the rest of your time working towards your goal.

You're already in tourneys and I would say just keep on doing what you're doing. Keep practicing until you're winning or placing consistently. Then, if people aren't already contacting you, it will be easier to go out and network with some companies.

What I wouldn't do is to get discouraged or distracted by what other people say or do, and don't spend too much time partying instead of hitting the water. Almost everyone I know who has gone far in hockey or football has dedicated almost everything to their sport. It is hard to do when you're in high school or university and everyone else is hitting the bottle but if you're working on your game while everyone else is dicking around you'll have a huge edge.

You might also enjoy these articles if you haven't already read them. The Bassdozer site has a ton of other articles about almost everything related to angling for Bass and I would recommend reading every one of them,

http://www.bassdozer...rd/be_pro.shtml

http://www.bassdozer.../turn-pro.shtml

Cheers and best of luck.

Thank you guys ! I am entering a lot of comps this summer and have called multiple companies and they said they will get back to me by the end of the week.

#16 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thank you guys ! I am entering a lot of comps this summer and have called multiple companies and they said they will get back to me by the end of the week.

NICE! Good work!

#17 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hello,

Thank you,

Michael Schinas 

Hey kid here is excellent website to start your career in fishing :) good luck also on second link you will see young boy doing same thing that you would like to do

http://nationalprostaff.com/

http://nationalprost.../Cooper Gallant

#18 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

dont wait for them to call you call them first---

#19 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members