• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

I've heard that Carp spawn is a good time to catch them and I've been dying to catch my first one since last years many... many.... many attempts still left me hanging. So is it true is Carp spawn a good time to catch them or is there a better time?

Also, around what time do Carp spawn.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

The easiest time to catch carp is just before they spawn. They spawn usually at the end of May, beginning of June. But that depends on water temperature. 

#3 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Carp can spawn 3 times in one year. Just don't waste your time and try to catch them were they jump.

#4 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Carp can spawn 3 times in one year. Just don't waste your time and try to catch them were they jump.

3 times a year? Asian carp maybe, but every article I've read about Common Carp witch we have here in Canada says once a year mid may-
june.
http://www.carp-fish...ning-times.html

#5 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Put 2 carps in a pond guess what you will have in 2 years...Canadian carp is not gay, he loves to multiply like the rest of the carp world.

#6 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

How many carps din you cut so far?

#7 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

How many carps din you cut so far?

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

#8 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Why?

#9 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

I found out that they don't bite where they jump maybe foreplay . Carps have specific areas where they feed where they know there is food and they have there highways where they just pass without stopping to smell. But anytime they can give you surprises. I got a 30 from 1 meter from the shore at West Lake taking a swim 2 meters from it. So...you never know but I never got one where they where jumping...

Yes! East Europeans eat carp! And the other 5 billion people from the planet!

#10 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

I found out that they don't bite where they jump maybe foreplay . Carps have specific areas where they feed where they know there is food and they have there highways where they just pass without stopping to smell. But anytime they can give you surprises. I got a 30 from 1 meter from the shore at West Lake taking a swim 2 meters from it. So...you never know but I never got one where they where jumping...

Well I have caught carp where they jumping lots of times. I have even deliberately cast to them and caught them. I guess different experiences for different people. 

#11 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

My recent experience is that patrolling and jumping Carp can be targeted effectively by changing from a bottom rig to a high zig at patrol depth..

I know East Europeans eat Carp, but I was not aware they were planning on eating the other 5 billion people on the planet. Thanks for the heads up!  (j/k)

#12 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

You want to hear a joke...today I went for steelhead east of To and we got 6 carps...they were eating roe! So it seams like I can't fish for other species. No I didn't put the roe on a hair rig or chum the area! It was a nice experience a 9,5 kg on the noodle rod!

#13 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

lol I guess the carp put a bit of a bend in that rod.

#14 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Omg! It made a cobra ! I was wondering at the firsth one why it was not jumping and why is it pooling so truck like. I think only after half of the spool it realized it is hooked!

#15 Lombrea

Lombrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Omg! It made a cobra ! I was wondering at the firsth one why it was not jumping and why is it pooling so truck like. I think only after half of the spool it realized it is hooked!

#16 iFish

iFish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Wasn't sure where to post my question but this looks like a good place. In the last few weeks my buddies and I went to a spot in Lake Ontario where we saw tons of carp jumping, kicking up mud and even when reeling in some lures hit some and had scales on our lures. We through everything at them. Corn, corn from a bait shop tht was orange and stinky and two different doughs. One of which said it was "irresistible to carp". I'd say we spent a total of 8-10 hours surrounded by carp and only caught one.

Does anyone have any insight they could share?

I've only recently been intetionally trying to catch carp and its been a lot harder than I thought lol. I would really like to learn their habits because they are a fun fish to catch.

Ps the lures that were being cast were not to try and catch carp.

#17 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

The water is way too cold for carp to spawn. 

What was the single carp caught on?  Did you guys get lots of bumps and line twitches? Were the dough baits store bought , Berkley perhaps?