its not about saving the world, its about preventing the slaughter for wild roe

#63 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

save the world buy a fly rod.

I swear to god remy it better be as good as you say it is...otherwise i might just have to "misplace" the TP if we ever go camping lol.

#64 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

So after reading the 4 pages of this thread...I dont quite understand the reason for the ban?

I have never fished the "ganny", but after coming on to these forums I dont think I ever will lol.

Is the ban of roe solely designed to prevent poaching and the discarding of fish after taking their eggs? If so....thats silly because why cant I go to bass pro, buy some hatchery roe and use that? Makes no sense to me. I guess banning "wild" roe makes SOME sense...but thats impossible to distinguish, especially if I take roe from a steelie I caught, tie it up and put in inside a store bough container and say that I bought it.

One more question, is taking roe from a fish that you caught (legally) and bringing the whole fish home, and then using that roe to fish with illegal ??

#65 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

One more question, is taking roe from a fish that you caught (legally) and bringing the whole fish home, and then using that roe to fish with illegal ??

Although often times keeping a female with roe is found to be frowned upon and unethical, it is 100% legal

So long as you correspond within your legal limits

gt

#66 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

yes, assuming with the legal limits. Thanks!

#67 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Then my question is, why take the roe and not the fish?

Being mostly a C and R guy, if you are going to kill the fish anyway, why not take home the fillets? Trout has always been tasty when I keep one.

Alfie.

#68 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

The bigger steelhead are GROSS lol, and from lake ontario...full of mercury and who knows what. I Always take the smaller fresh ones that havnt been in the lake too long or are native to the stream or river. Generaly anything over 1.5feet i dont keep,based on previous experiences where 99% of the fish above 10lbs tasted like butt.

I dont keep the roe USUALLY, but thats only because I dont know how to properly cure it for fishing, and I dont have the patience to sit and tie up roe sacks...i used to before and that would take SOOO much time  lol.

The past few times Ive kept roe was for consumption...being Russian, we love that S**** haha....although my mother over salted it last time :(

#69 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Smoked lake trout roe is up there with home made gravlax in the "best food ever" category imo... Never tried steelhead roe but I bet it also tastes incredible

#70 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

I just learned beluga caviar is from a beluga sturgeon not a whale--

#71 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I just learned beluga caviar is from a beluga sturgeon not a whale--

I had noo idea...

Excuse me I have a few snares in the st. Lawrence I have to go disassemble for a completely unrelated reason...

#72 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

And in retrospect...how obvious...whales being mamals and all lol...no wonder my efforts were fruitless

#73 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Sturgeon is on my fish hit list of the fish I want to catch in my lifetime... along with marlin and shark :P haha

#74 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Come to Ottawa then dude, they're in the Ottawa and Gatineau rivers...I've heard say that they're probably the best Sturgeon fisheries in North America except the Fraser.

#75 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

really? I would be SUPER down to come in the summer, I speak french as well, both me and my dad have been dreaming of some good sturgeon lol

#76 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Do it man...I don't fish for sturgeon but my buddy's sister caught one on the ottawa without even trying lol (they were going for picks) and a friend's cousin just caught one on the gatineau while ice fishing for perch....said it was like 40lbs or something but they can get like 10x that size.

On the Ottawa the areas around Pembroke, Arnprior, and Fitzroy Harbour are supposed to be good. Not too sure about sturgeon spots on the Gatineau but I can ask someone if you think you'll be heading up.