• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

It seems to me that having a yearly rather than a daily limit on a given type of fish is much more logical and reasonable than a daily limit. Surely the fish stocks respond to a yearly catch, not a daily one. Whether it's necessary to implement such a measure is another question. If you don't think it's necessary why complain about those lugging 2 bows a day, for e.g., from a river? 

#2 alex10578

alex10578

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

My question is how would this limit be enforced?

#3 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Great idea in theory, but realistically I think it would be very difficult to enforce and regulate.

#4 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Laws need to be enforceable. With a daily limit, it's enforceable to a certain extent. With a yearly limit, no officer would know how many fish someone has kept in total. We'd have guys walking back to their cars with a dozen fish each :blink:

#5 Netmaniskey

Netmaniskey

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

The mnr officers are stretched as thin as possible and from what I've seen they're doing pretty good. Had the pleasure of talking with 2 officers on the hard water this year Glad to see them too as I'm not breaking any rules. Be nice if more of those $$$ we pay for our liscence a went to enforcement.

#6 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I think rotating fish sanctuaries or shorter seasons would be a more effective way to improve fisheries. Much easier to ding someone for fishing out of season or in a sanctuary than to try and determine how many fish they've caught today plus those they may have in the freezer from the day before let alone the entire year.

I don't even know if that's necessary but if something did need to be done about diminishing fish populations it would probably help.

#7 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Tough to manage this...but understand the principle...

#8 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Be nice if more of those $$$ we pay for our liscence a went to enforcement.

Be nice if they acctualy used ALL the money we spend on licence instead of putting it in a big slush fund..

#9 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Be nice if they acctualy used ALL the money we spend on licence instead of putting it in a big slush fund..

LOL

I hear that brother

#10 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hey man I was unaware that was going on...if it isn't too much work would you mind letting me know where I can find more info? I want to write some folks about this one lol...

#11 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hey man I was unaware that was going on...if it isn't too much work would you mind letting me know where I can find more info? I want to write some folks about this one lol...

TBH I've acctualy never looked into reading about it. Just has come up in multiple conversations about it over the years. Basically learned about it through word of mouf. But I did find this as a starting point.."The special purpose account" if you download the pdf at the bottom, the annual report gives you a bit more.http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_166024.html

#12 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Thanks man! Yah it might be buried a bit I was looking at the budget a while ago and didn't notice anything but that doesn't mean it isn't there...maybe time to do some digging lol cheers!

#13 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

It would have to be yearly AND daily. It wouldnt be enforcable but it would at least provoke thought.

#14 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

It would have to be yearly AND daily. It wouldnt be enforcable but it would at least provoke thought.

Yes, but it would provoke thought only in us law abiding fishermen.

Those who abuse the fisheries will continue to do so until the penalties become sufficient to deter them.

Just to add to the conversation, not sure if it is province wide, but in at least a few rivers in Newfoundland you are only allowed to keep 1 Atlantic each year, I fish them. I believe, but not positive the same holds true in parts of New Brunswick.

Alfie.

#15 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

#16 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

That's what I was thinking, some people might say they haven't caught any yet and go home with a huge amount. The other way might be a daily limit and a yearly possession limit but I don't think that would stop people from what they do already. I would like to see something change so that you don't see the same people taking fish after fish.

#17 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

A no fish limit, in other words catch and release only is the only enforceable alternative to what we have now. I'm sure it would likely resort in more out of season poaching while law abiding anglers are off the water.

#18 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

A no fish limit, in other words catch and release only is the only enforceable alternative to what we have now. I'm sure it would likely resort in more out of season poaching while law abiding anglers are off the water.

Like the "NO-FISH" limit...

#19 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

i agree with you there chase shuld be c and r only for at least all trout species

#20 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

i agree with you there chase shuld be c and r only for at least all trout species

I'd say bro...