• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

I've been monitoring a local creek to watch the numbers, scout out good spots ect... Yesterday I noticed a large influx of Steelhead, I spotted around 20-35 (which is great!) but I went back today and I only found about 10 and I walked a far way up and downstream. Is it possible that the run is over already for this river or could it be because the water levels were high which allowed the fish to move up and since they're lowering back down again they have slowed/stopped until the waters get up again.

Please bare with me... I'm still a noob. :wacko:

#2 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

They are there. There's going to be one last run after the rain. Was hiking as well. Managed to see about eight lined up going upstream. Lots of purple going up today.I'm no expert either. One thing I noticed. The dark ones are way bigger than light ones. Just close to the Waxers home ice.

#3 fishernick

fishernick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

if you saw them yesterday they will still be around, some would have moved up and some are heading back to the lake. the big run of fish that your speaking to has already happened, this bit of rain that we got last week and whatever we get this week will should bring in what's left. but there are plenty of fish that are up in closed sections of the rivers. I hope that most do there business before opener. 

p.s. they are very very sneaky! im sure there were right underneath your nose.

#4 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

if you saw them yesterday they will still be around, some would have moved up and some are heading back to the lake. the big run of fish that your speaking to has already happened, this bit of rain that we got last week and whatever we get this week will should bring in what's left. but there are plenty of fish that are up in closed sections of the rivers. I hope that most do there business before opener. 

p.s. they are very very sneaky! im sure there were right underneath your nose.

Why do you want them to do there business before opener wouldn't that send them back to the lake? And how long will these Steelies stay in the river because I'm worried that they'll be gone by the time the season opens.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Because they don't leave as soon as they're done with the business. Most of the steels that have done they're business a week or two ago are due to be on their way back. They hang around the reds for quite a while before they start downsteam

#6 fishernick

fishernick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

rich got it. 

plus i want more eggs layed and fertilized then people taking hens for roe. 

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

i'm with you nick. i avoid the pack at the opener. i avoid the shoulder-to-shoulder and just get those who are on their way back. i had some spots that have been generous that after a week. i'm done and getting ready for some piking.

#8 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

They don't immediately disappear once they are done spawning. The first few days once opener arrives are usually very good, but after that it begins to slow down. I think it's important to call MNR if you see anyone fishing inside a sanctuary this time of year. Spawning fish require peace from us anglers.

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

It is all over, you might as well go for Crappie.

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

the best is yet to come...good luck finding a parking space...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spawn