• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cm87

cm87

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hey there, this is my first post. I'm planning a morning fishing trip to the humber river mouth in a couple weeks to try for some perch/crappie/bullhead etc.

Just wondering if anyone has fished the mouth, or for that matter, off the rocks in Humber Bay Park with any success...especially for perch.

I've fished the park unsuccessfully for pike, but never bait fished with worms or anything like that. I'm not looking to steal anyone's hot-spot, given that shore fishing in the city can get very crowded I realize that prime real estate is sacred ground.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

#2 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

#3 cm87

cm87

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the response. I guess I like the park and figured I could pick up a few decent-sized perch or white bass for the frying pan. I've caught panfish of course in high park but they were miniature and the pond seems pretty dirty. If there are other west end areas you would suggest, I'm open to picking a different spot.

Thanks again.

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I guess I like the park and figured I could pick up a few decent-sized perch or white bass for the frying pan. I've caught panfish of course in high park but they were miniature and the pond seems pretty dirty. If there are other west end areas you would suggest, I'm open to picking a different spot.

Thanks again.

The pond is filthy. Can't count the number of times, I've hooked plastic bags... But when you get a bass it makes up for it! :D

#5 Clab

Clab

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Fished high park yesterday, caught nothing. I did see a small group of perch spawn sacks around the shoreline. There is indeed perch in grenadier pond. I think the water may be a little on the cold side still. If you live I the GTA you know what happened at high park yesterday. Weird feeling being on a dock were a missing person was recovered only an hour later.

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

The last time I was there was a year ago when they have the "Fishing for Kids" by the Ambassadors I believe. It's a good pond for learning how to fish but I wouldn't bother wetting a line there myself. Although it's a good pond to practice topwater fishing. IMO too much distractions with all the "lululemons" walking around. Good park.

#7 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Top water fishing and lululemons walking around? Sounds like a great time. I've never bothered fishing Grenadier but I may have to give it a go. :razz:

#8 cm87

cm87

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Have any of you tried off the rocks in HBP East, either around the lagoons or facing the open lake?

#9 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

if you want panfish, I hear grenadier pond in high park is excellent.. especially before the weeds grow too thick, was thinking of giving it a try there this year just because I grew up in the area and I love high park.

I know humber river has suckers/catfish in the area you've mentioning but I don't know about perch or bluegills

#10 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Have any of you tried off the rocks in HBP East, either around the lagoons or facing the open lake?

tried there for pike this year, didn't even see baitfish

#11 cm87

cm87

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

If anyone is curious, my friend and I went down to the mouth yesterday and caught very little......except for a very large bullhead, that required netting and was easily 4 lbs and probably about 14-16". Biggest bullhead I've ever seen by far!

#12 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

#13 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

If anyone is curious, my friend and I went down to the mouth yesterday and caught very little......except for a very large bullhead, that required netting and was easily 4 lbs and probably about 14-16". Biggest bullhead I've ever seen by far!

Congratulations, I believe that was a channel catfish though as the Ontario bullhead catfish record is under 3 pounds.

#14 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Congratulations, I believe that was a channel catfish though as the Ontario bullhead catfish record is under 3 pounds.

#15 cm87

cm87

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Definitely a bullhead. It was yellow/brown and had a squared/flat tail. I think that there are probably many people who catch big bullheads, but nobody cares to report them to the powers that be for record verification.

It was probably pre-spawn and full of eggs.

#16 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Sucks for them because they are missing out on being record holders :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panfish, humber river, april fishing