Photo

Fish Populations And Flooding in Algonquin and the Muskokas

Flood species baitfish spawn population predatory fish spring algonquin muskoka danger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hey guys,

So as I'm sure most you have heard, because of a late thaw and a large amount of rain, that there has been a fair amount of flooding in the Muskoka and Algonquin area. I lived in the area for a few years myself and this summer the boys and I are going for a fishing trip back up into the area, but I have some concerns about the effect the recent flooding is going to have on local fish populations.

I know that floods can be a boon for lakes and rivers, the waters break the banks and wash in nutrients and debris off the shore, plants and animals will have more to feed on for a time as well as new places for warrens and the like. Conversely floods also wash in chemicals and waste for people and animals, potentially corrupt the waters. My biggest concern though is timing on this one, because as I'm sure you know it's happening right around spawning season for a number of species.

If the fish spawned before the flood, all the eggs will be washed down stream, scattered and left vulnerable when they hatch, if they're even able to incubate at all, meaning a pretty negative impact on the population this season. I suppose this could make the existing fish population more willing to hit bait because food will be scarce. Or the predatory fish may themselves be impacted negatively because of it. If the spawn happens after the flooding, I imagine the fry will have lots of nutrients to feed on, more tree branches and debris to shelter in and the water will be a little more cloudy giving them a better chance of more surviving, giving us a higher population for this and the next season.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

#2 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

No worries, if something goes horribly wrong the MNR will step in and fix it - they always do... <grin> In places that are not easily reached, nature will figure it out on its own.

#3 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

MNR fix the problem hahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha. oh good one, more like do nothening and rise the cost of fishing lic next year.

#4 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I don't really know what all kind of species live up in the Kawarthas, but I am sure this is a good thing for the area. Waters rise in lakes, more area to swim more access to food. Up north is thought to be relatively clean. Now if this was in Toronto I am sure MNR would have raised the price of licences already.

#5 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

The water farther north is definitely cleaner, I never felt any concern swimming or eating fish out of the lakes. but I mean, I worked construction up there for 4 years and there are a looot of septic systems and garbage really close to the water. So I mean, yeah it they'll have more space and food, but you never know what's gonna get into the water when you get a flood like that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flood, species, baitfish, spawn, population, predatory fish, spring, algonquin, muskoka, danger