Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

i got all these new lures to try, good to see somebody else excited for pike

#3 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

going tomorrow before work. My special lake in my area, going to be a TON of pike heheh

#4 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

going upto balsam and help get rid of the growing population of pike tomorrow :cool:

#5 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

I am PUMPED! gonna do some urban fishing...nooo idea what awaits lol.

#6 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Local urban fishing at its finest ... :)

lost one about the same size just after this one

2zhoacx.jpg

#7 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

2zhoacx.jpg

nice. What you catch it on?

#8 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Targeted pike and pickerel; on the fly this evening.. ended up with lots of sunfish, and rockbass.

These are two of my main species to catch on the fly this summer so hopefully things go better next time :P

#9 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

len thompson 00 red and white.

My all time favorite and ONLY pike lure I use....especially at this particular lake

#10 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

lol I totally forgot it was pike opener I was fishing a west trib todayfor steelies(yes I know most of u are done with steelies but this is my first year fishing for them and well im addicted) anyways my second cast felt a decent strike and was expecting chrome but it didnt fight like one so i figured maybe a smallmouth or a rainbow then he gets close and all i see is teeth and i realize its a pike and as i was determining my approach and gettin my pliers out he shook his head and spit the hook out (saved me the trouble anywayslol)

Then  on the next cast i get a big strike it was a big male steelie he hit my line ten feet from me and i was using my back up rod a 6 foot rapala (crappy tire special)and he started a run then turned back on me and jumped so he spit the hook then nothing I stayed for a couple hours it was a good day except for losing my spoon it wouldnt e a day of fishing if i dont catch a tree or to

#11 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

lol I totally forgot it was pike opener I was fishing a west trib todayfor steelies(yes I know most of u are done with steelies but this is my first year fishing for them and well im addicted) anyways my second cast felt a decent strike and was expecting chrome but it didnt fight like one so i figured maybe a smallmouth or a rainbow then he gets close and all i see is teeth and i realize its a pike and as i was determining my approach and gettin my pliers out he shook his head and spit the hook out (saved me the trouble anywayslol)

Then  on the next cast i get a big strike it was a big male steelie he hit my line ten feet from me and i was using my back up rod a 6 foot rapala (crappy tire special)and he started a run then turned back on me and jumped so he spit the hook then nothing I stayed for a couple hours it was a good day except for losing my spoon it wouldnt be a day of fishing if i dont catch a tree or to

and nice catch fishing 89

#12 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

len thompson 00 red and white.

My all time favorite and ONLY pike lure I use....especially at this particular lake

Neat. :D

#13 masfish

masfish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

2zhoacx.jpg

Nice fish to open the season with.

My opener consisted of quite a few OOS bass, including one huge one. All were unhooked and safely released, pronto. Only hooked into one pike all morning, and it felt like a big one, but lost it because I forgot to tighten the drag on my brand new reel, which I bought specifically for the opener. :oops:  I guess my exitement overwhelmed me; lesson learned the hard way. Also lost both my red-&-white and orange diamond spoons due to snags. :rolleyes:

#14 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

My opener consisted of quite a few OOS bass, including one huge one. All were unhooked and safely released, pronto. Only hooked into one pike all morning, and it felt like a big one, but lost it because I forgot to tighten the drag on my brand new reel, which I bought specifically for the opener. :oops:  I guess my exitement overwhelmed me; lesson learned the hard way. Also lost both my red-&-white and orange diamond spoons due to snags. :rolleyes:

lol atleast im not alone

#15 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

That sucks, but atleast you got out! Fishing is not just about the fish...

#16 masfish

masfish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

That sucks, but atleast you got out! Fishing is not just about the fish...

For sure. Even a non-productive day on the water is good fun. I just felt kinda bad because I didn't want to disturb the bass spawning grounds. After every bass caught I moved to a new spot, only to run into more bass. Wish I'm so lucky come the end of June!

As for the lost spoons, it's just another excuse to go lure shopping :-)

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

this is the best time to fish pike with flashy metals. dollarama spoons are good. I use them at this time for pike fishing. I like using them without leader not because they're cheap. there's something about they're wobble that doesn't look great with wire leaders.

#18 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Madoc, what sort of flies do you use when targeting walleye?

#19 xxxSIBxxx

xxxSIBxxx

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

going upto balsam and help get rid of the growing population of pike tomorrow :cool:

Pike open all year round up at Balsam, went up there also but was targeting walleye. How did you make out up there? we got into cpl musky n few pike and a walleye

#20 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

For sure. Even a non-productive day on the water is good fun. I just felt kinda bad because I didn't want to disturb the bass spawning grounds. After every bass caught I moved to a new spot, only to run into more bass. Wish I'm so lucky come the end of June!

As for the lost spoons, it's just another excuse to go lure shopping :smile:

Ya it can be hard to avoid oos fish. Hooked into 1 bass last friday fishing on 2lb test, with a worm under a bobber for sunnies, moved on and did not meet another...