63 replies to this topic

#1 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has ever caught any large Chub around gta.

Recently started pulling them in by accident, the large ones actually put up a decent fight.

biggest one iv brought in was just under 12".

Iv never seen them grow this big, if anyone else has ever caught one this size let me know!

chub.jpg

#2 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

I was out this morning and caught 4 chubs between 10-12 inches and one huge one around 15 inches, it gave up a hell of a fight on ultralight tackle. I think their growing this big because there are not many people targeting them.

#3 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

15" holy crap! Did you measure from nose, to the biggining of the tail fin?

That could be a record if you had a picture to prove it!

4-5 year old adult chub in the best conditions only usually grow to a MAX of like 13" ( this is like freakishly large already )

and thats down in the states were there avg size is above 10"

15" for ontario thats freakin huge. Would love to see a picture.

I agree they put up a great fight!

#4 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

I've caught a couple at 1lb and some 13 inchers. Caught about 20 in one day one time at a local creek. When they are in environments that get a lot of smaller bait fish, shiners and smaller creek chubs they can grow quite large as they are provided with a large amount of food.

BTW make sure that you are catching a Creek Chub and not a Fallfish. These two fish look almost identical at large sizes, but Fallfish can grow much larger.

To distinguish Creek Chubs from Fallfish check the dorsal fin/fin on the top of the fish' body, if it has a black dot, it is a Creek Chub, no black dot means it's another species most likely Fallfish. At my local Creek last year I spotted a Fallfish that was easily over 5lbs... just imagine a 5lb Creek Chub swimming around :P

This is one of my better Creek Chubs.... 13"

8BFvf6u.jpg

#5 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I've caught a couple at 1lb and some 13 inchers. Caught about 20 in one day one time at a local creek. When they are in environments that get a lot of smaller bait fish, shiners and smaller creek chubs they can grow quite large as they are provided with a large amount of food.

BTW make sure that you are catching a Creek Chub and not a Fallfish. These two fish look almost identical at large sizes, but Fallfish can grow much larger.

To distinguish Creek Chubs from Fallfish check the dorsal fin/fin on the top of the fish' body, if it has a black dot, it is a Creek Chub, no black dot means it's another species most likely Fallfish. At my local Creek last year I spotted a Fallfish that was easily over 5lbs... just imagine a 5lb Creek Chub swimming around :P

Thats a nice one there! Thanks for the Info im def going to keep an eye out for that.

yeah a 5lb creek chub would be huge lol!

going again on monday, so il post pictures if i get anything nice.

seems like most of the bigger guys in my neck of the woods are all horny head, and really aggressive. 2 or 3 days ago i hooked a tiny regular creek chub as while i was reeling him in an even bigger horny head

came in and double hooked my line fighting for the bait. Almost got 2 fish on one single barbless hook. Great action lol!

#6 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Fishing the Pickering power plant?

#7 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Nope :)

#8 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

15" holy crap! Did you measure from nose, to the biggining of the tail fin?

That could be a record if you had a picture to prove it!

4-5 year old adult chub in the best conditions only usually grow to a MAX of like 13" ( this is like freakishly large already )

and thats down in the states were there avg size is above 10"

15" for ontario thats freakin huge. Would love to see a picture.

I agree they put up a great fight!

i didnt measure with a tape measure or anything like that. i put it next to my shoe, which is size 13.5 and it was considerably larger than it.

#9 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

Thats a nice one there! Thanks for the Info im def going to keep an eye out for that.

yeah a 5lb creek chub would be huge lol!

going again on monday, so il post pictures if i get anything nice.

seems like most of the bigger guys in my neck of the woods are all horny head, and really aggressive. 2 or 3 days ago i hooked a tiny regular creek chub as while i was reeling him in an even bigger horny head

came in and double hooked my line fighting for the bait. Almost got 2 fish on one single barbless hook. Great action lol!

Also make sure that it isn't actually just a Creek Chub as opposed to a Horney Head as it's spawn time for Creek Chub and they grow horns on their heads during this time which they use to dig pits for eggs. The difference is the same dorsal spot. Creek Chubs have a spot on their dorsal fin, Horney Heads do not.

Good luck :).

#10 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Also make sure that it isn't actually just a Creek Chub as opposed to a Horney Head as it's spawn time for Creek Chub and they grow horns on their heads during this time which they use to dig pits for eggs. The difference is the same dorsal spot. Creek Chubs have a spot on their dorsal fin, Horney Heads do not.

Good luck :).

Yeah we have both creek and Hornyhead were im at.

Its funny you mentioned that difference because there were breeds that looked like a mix of creek and horny head sept the horns were much smaller. Now iv got an idea of what they are.

Horny head chub tend to have pink/reddish color on there bellies iv noticed.

#11 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

i didnt measure with a tape measure or anything like that. i put it next to my shoe, which is size 13.5 and it was considerably larger than it.

Right on!

That sounds like a monster chub.

If you catch any more big ones try and get a picture! :)

#12 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Right on!

That sounds like a monster chub.

If you catch any more big ones try and get a picture! :)

Will do!!

#13 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

I catch a lot of huge chub in the humber while targeting trout.  Though I didn't know we have fallfish here.. Never seen them. I thought they were only found west of Trenton.

#14 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Caught this one in a local creek, however I've pulled out a few even larger ones further up the same creek near a small dam. To be honest I'm not even sure what type of chub it is, or even if its a fallfish... If someone would like to clarify which it is, please do :D

Either way, they're pretty fun on a 3wt. rod when they're this size!

Attached Images

• 7405351854_58b66805c7.jpg

#15 MacMan23

MacMan23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Caught this one in a local creek, however I've pulled out a few even larger ones further up the same creek near a small dam. To be honest I'm not even sure what type of chub it is, or even if its a fallfish... If someone would like to clarify which it is, please do :D

Iv never caught one like that before

Interesting!

#16 Split-shot

Split-shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I thought it was a small pike when I saw him swim by...  Is that a creek chub or a horney head? 

mail-1_zps1626f425.jpeg?t=1370936421

#17 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Male Bluntnose get "horns" on their heads as well FYI but I don't think they get to large size Horny Heads do.

MacMan's pic scared the bejesus out of me when i checked it out... I thought the worms he had been using for bait had migrated to his face!  :D

#18 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hey is that a telescopic rod??? I use them all the time... Those are some pretty big creek chub guys thanks for sharing...

8BFvf6u.jpg

#19 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Picture isnt too good for identifying but I would say Horney Head Chub. If you catch one again try to get a close up and take some other pictures of the head, tail, and dorsal fin. That would be the best way to identify it.

#20 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I thought it was a small pike when I saw him swim by...  Is that a creek chub or a horney head? 

mail-1_zps1626f425.jpeg?t=1370936421

Cant really tell, the picture is too small. If you catch one again try to get some close up pictures and some of the head, tail, and dorsal fin.