• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi, i am going fishing up there on saturday for the first time and was wondering what live baits, and lures should i take up there?

#2 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

nightcrawlers on tandem rigs work well for walleye. storm hotntots if you troll or cast. 

#3 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks, what line would you guys recommend? i am planning on running 10 pound flouro. is that OK? i heard it is quite a ways up from the water.

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks, what line would you guys recommend? i am planning on running 10 pound flouro. is that OK? i heard it is quite a ways up from the water.

More then enough I would think, but I've never fished there...

#5 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Are you fishing off the bridge in Hasting off Rice Lake?

#6 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Are you fishing off the bridge in Hasting off Rice Lake?

Yes

#7 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yes

I have not heard good things about catching many walleye there this year. I suggest you just go to the bait shop thats right beside the bridge OR bring your own worms from a local bait shop near you. As for the line the water can move quite fast and I know people sometimes hook onto carp in that area and drag out a lot of line before breaking off so make sure you are prepped with more line in your to bring list. 10 lbs flouro should not be an issue but look out for the rocks there.

#8 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hey Tuhlapsss,

This is a picture of me coming out of the waters in hastings after a short day on Rice Lake. We launch just at the left side of the waters going north into hastings near the Mac's Milk.

http://s1363.photobu...b28322.jpg.html

Those 2 exact fish were caught near those private docks in hastings and we caught 2 more just off to the right of them in a bit weedy area.

#9 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have not heard good things about catching many walleye there this year. I suggest you just go to the bait shop thats right beside the bridge OR bring your own worms from a local bait shop near you. As for the line the water can move quite fast and I know people sometimes hook onto carp in that area and drag out a lot of line before breaking off so make sure you are prepped with more line in your to bring list. 10 lbs flouro should not be an issue but look out for the rocks there.

Yeah, The bite has been slow this year as my friend used to catch them by the dozens last year and the year before. I have been there around 5 times this year and got a secret bait that i always catch my limit with. PM me if you would like to know what i used.

#10 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hey Tuhlapsss,

This is a picture of me coming out of the waters in hastings after a short day on Rice Lake. We launch just at the left side of the waters going north into hastings near the Mac's Milk.

http://s1363.photobu...b28322.jpg.html

Those 2 exact fish were caught near those private docks in hastings and we caught 2 more just off to the right of them in a bit weedy area.

Nice! I have probably caught 4 bass this year from close to the dam, But I hooked into a good probably 3.5-4 pounder in the kind of creek thing beside the main river, then it broke me off because i forgot to retie my line after i caught a few walleye and the line was frayed pretty badly(stupid rookie mistake)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: walleye, hastings, fishing