• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

okay. i keep telling myself i am going to do this. i release 98 % of my fish.  i am tired of having to use pliers on pike and "working" my hooks out of bass.  i already file the barbs off my trebles on lures.

has anybody gone that extra step and put single hooks on their lures?

i can see success on spinners, but how about rapalas?  or spoons?  or, and this is where my interest mostly lies, surface lures?

i'm too chicken (poop (ha!  beat the censors to it)) to go this extra step without someone else leading the way...

anybody have any experiences in this department?

Attached Images

• lures.jpg

#2 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

I don't see why you would wan't to replace trebles with singles, Ive hooked hundred of fish using jerkbaits and never had a problem releasing a fish without harming them anymore than using a single hook. If by some unfortunate chance a fish would happen to be injured by a treble then so be it. Fishing is a blood sport, If you're worried about hurting the fish then remove the hooks all together.

#3 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't see why you would wan't to replace trebles with singles, Ive hooked hundred of fish using jerkbaits and never had a problem releasing a fish without harming them anymore than using a single hook. If by some unfortunate chance a fish would happen to be injured by a treble then so be it. Fishing is a blood sport, If you're worried about hurting the fish then remove the hooks all together.

I think he's tired of having the fish out of the water while he rummages for pliers and then has to yank around with them.

Let me know how it works.

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

go barbless. treble or not it would be easier. i'm not sure of the success of single hooks but i don't think they're better than treble when you're plugging.

#5 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

#6 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, but who really hasn't had to rip flesh removing trebles from a fish's throat? I am thinking with single hooks, its a single push downward.

#7 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Kudos...going single is a great initiative...and easier to dislodge...better for the fish.
I have never considered the pursuit of the art of angling a "blood sport"

cc

#8 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Kudos...going single is a great initiative...and easier to dislodge...better for the fish.
I have never considered the pursuit of the art of angling a "blood sport"
cc

Ever fished Bronte around the qew in salmon season? Yikes! ;)

#9 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

There are reasons some sections of water are single barbless..its proven a single barbless hook will cause less damage.

#10 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I swap out the trebles on spoon for steel. Less snags and less harm.

I agree about them being a pain to get out sometimes,

#11 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

There are reasons some sections of water are single barbless..its proven a single barbless hook will cause less damage.

Well, let the experiment begin... I'll let folks know... I have my surface doubts, but I'm willing to give it a shot...

#12 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well, let the experiment begin... I'll let folks know... I have my surface doubts, but I'm willing to give it a shot...

I've used single barbless mepps,panther martins before..but unfortunatly havnt had much luck with the fish to test it out, ive only tried twice..lol

#13 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I've used single barbless mepps,panther martins before..but unfortunatly havnt had much luck with the fish to test it out, ive only tried twice..lol

That's certainly a start... I have been filing my barbs, but I might pick up some cool other options this weekend at sail.

#14 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

I've converted all my steelhead lures to single hooks, which include spoons ,quikfish, flatfish, and spinners. easier to remove fish quickly and I save time untangling lures.

#15 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

some baits will run different with the hooks changed. the siwash hooks on those rapalas pictured are a lot bigger than standard hooks and can do some damage too

#16 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

#17 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

some baits will run different with the hooks changed. the siwash hooks on those rapalas pictured are a lot bigger than standard hooks and can do some damage too

I just picked that pic from the net... I tend to go under size, rather than oversize...

#18 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

you will have better hookups when the gap of the hook is wider than the profile of the lure,especially the front hook. this comes from muskie fishing where we bend the front treble to a "T" instead of an even 120 degrees, on round or flat bottom lures. that way the hook protrudes beyond the sides of the lure when the hook lays back on the set. im sure this applies to your situation as well.

there was i time when i fully believed a single siwash was getting better  hookups on my jigging spoons for walleye while ice fishing. i was finding  when you set on that single point, a little farther in from the lip,( the siwash, being wider gapped than the appropriate treb)` you get better connected and the hook hit home. ive kind of shied away from this lately, but a lot if my buckshot spoons still have the singles on it. i was not using singles to inflict less damage, it was just to acheive better hookups. i didnt notice any major difference in damage between one barbed treble or a single hook. most salmon trolling spoons have just a single siwash hook.

i will agree sometimes the three trebles on a larger stickbait can be a pain.

ive mentioned the "siwash" hooks a couple times and ive found they seem to be the way to go . the ones in the pic are a bit large for the bait. try to find a shorter shanked brand, similar in size to the full width of the treble that came on the lure. they come with the eye partially open so its easy to put them on the splitrings, and the barbs bend down easy enough.

#19 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

you will have better hookups when the gap of the hook is wider than the profile of the lure,especially the front hook. this comes from muskie fishing where we bend the front treble to a "T" instead of an even 120 degrees, on round or flat bottom lures. that way the hook protrudes beyond the sides of the lure when the hook lays back on the set. im sure this applies to your situation as well.
  there was i time when i fully believed a single siwash was getting better  hookups on my jigging spoons for walleye while ice fishing. i was finding  when you set on that single point, a little farther in from the lip,( the siwash, being wider gapped than the appropriate treb)` you get better connected and the hook hit home. ive kind of shied away from this lately, but a lot if my buckshot spoons still have the singles on it. i was not using singles to inflict less damage, it was just to acheive better hookups. i didnt notice any major difference in damage between one barbed treble or a single hook. most salmon trolling spoons have just a single siwash hook.
 i will agree sometimes the three trebles on a larger stickbait can be a pain.
 ive mentioned the "siwash" hooks a couple times and ive found they seem to be the way to go . the ones in the pic are a bit large for the bait. try to find a shorter shanked brand, similar in size to the full width of the treble that came on the lure. they come with the eye partially open so its easy to put them on the splitrings, and the barbs bend down easy enough.

Thanks.

#20 king_Fisher

king_Fisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

You can always snap two sides of the barbless treble should still work