Photo

An excited hello from a newbie and his group!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mo Anwar

Mo Anwar

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

My name is Mo. I live in Toronto and I am a newbie in fishing. Well I used to fish in ponds with a rod/hook/bobber when I was a kid but am very new to the spinner reel. Currently I have a Zebco rod with Shimano Spirex 2500rg reel. Also bought some crank baits and artificial worms. I want to fish to bass, cat fish and so on....medium size fish.

Two more friends (yes, all noobs and mix of students and recent grads) and I have been going fishing for the last three weeks. We are all very excited and wake up at 3 am to get to the fishing spots. But so far we have been met with some disappointment  Namely I think because we do not know of any good spots to fish. We went about 1 hr 10 mins drive north or Toronto to some well known internet available spots and found sun fish and perch, all very small ones. I am hoping I can get some help in this regards from this forum.

We do not own a boat so shore fishing is the only option for us. I will be searching the forums before posting though. But where can I find the post on the forum lingo first? I know I am not supposed to mention full lake/spot name here.

In terms of fishing education, I have been teaching myself by watching youtube videos on fishing.

Looking forward to getting some information from all of you and eventually contribute in a positive manner to this forum.

#2 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

enjoy bro--aside from not naming any specific spots--if you ask a question most will answer--all good man welcome to fishing and to OFF---

#3 Mo Anwar

Mo Anwar

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

enjoy bro--aside from not naming any specific spots--if you ask a question most will answer--all good man welcome to fishing and to OFF---

Thanks a lot!!

are you saying that people are not going to point me to any ball park location/spot? even by pm? 

#4 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Maybe a bit by pm, as far as some pressured resident fish go if one was to share the location with many it could in fact destroy the fishery. So there is a reason for it. Other spots are much larger and well known.

Finding spots is not everything as far as fishing. You must approach the fish with the proper technique, some are easier than others to target.

I would suggest finding an area that you know holds numbers of the game fish you wish to target and work with it a bit. Members may not give you an exact location but if you were to inquire on say pike fishing techniques many would be very happy to give you some pointers. Then you just gota go out and find some fish! that's the fun of it.

#5 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Where you from and how far are you willing to travel?

#6 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

said hes from TO

#7 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Opps lol missed that...more importantly how far are you willing to travel

#8 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

.PM for sure you will get them---

#9 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Like River55 said you may get pointed in the right direction towards location. But someones honey hole ( really good spot to fish) is probably going to remain a secret for obvious reasons.

And just a reminder fishing for Bass right now is ILLEGAL. Only a couple more weeks for our northern friends.

#10 Mo Anwar

Mo Anwar

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

The fact that people are replying to my post has got be excited lol and thanks a lot guys. I totally understand not giving up the honey holes and I think I would do the same to some extent. But the pointers to how to find some less sweet honey holes even is great!

I am actually in Toronto and willing to travel 60-80 km each way. again since I am starting out, my request might seem more demanding/nagging...but I definitely will get better at this.

Thanks again for all the tips about approach...I never really though about this much. Also I will read up on when to fish for what (legal issues).

This Saturday will be going to lake  Sxxxxxx....NW 70KM from my location... can someone please point me to the lake shortcuts (is there a lingo dictionary or we just make these up as we go along?)

#11 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Welcome to OFF!
Alot of helpful members here. alot of members share sppots via PM. Ask your question you are guarenteed a helpful response!

If you are just starting out into fishing and looking for some cheap thrils. I would target Carp. Like pulling a horse outta the water.

I myself do not know too many spots, but I am sure people on here will help you ou.t

What you learn on youtube is how to tie knots that it. I have watched some of the garbage people put online. Really weeding thru what ur watching to concentrate on the good stuff is easier learned on the shores thru trial and error!!

Good luck and tight lines!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newbie