Photo

Looking At Some New Spinning Combos. NEED HELP!!

Spinning Fishing Reel Rod HELP New Suggestions Combo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hey guys I've recently been on the lookout for a good rod and reel combo since my last one broke on me (both rod and reel). Anyways, I've been looking around Canadian Tire (I know there selection sucks compared to SAIL). But, I would really like to have some pointers on some good combos. My price range is in the $75-$120 area and any suggestions are welcome. I just don't want to be stuck with a crappy rod that will break in a couple months, Thanks.

Tight Lines!!

Rob

#2 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

for that price I wouldn't get a combo, you'd  be better off buying a 50-80 dollar rod and a 40-50 dollar reel separately.

the reason being, when you buy a combo the rod/reel are usually specifically made for the combo and although they have the brand name (abu garcia, quantum, etc) they are NOT the same quality as the normal gear these companies sell.

Then the other type of combos are what bass pro puts together, generally a brand name reel with one of their rods, which I still find isn't as good of a value as buying the two separately (haven't heard great things about bps rods)

#3 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

for that price I wouldn't get a combo, you'd be better off buying a 50-80 dollar rod and a 40-50 dollar reel separately.

the reason being, when you buy a combo the rod/reel are usually specifically made for the combo and although they have the brand name (abu garcia, quantum, etc) they are NOT the same quality as the normal gear these companies sell.

Then the other type of combos are what bass pro puts together, generally a brand name reel with one of their rods, which I still find isn't as good of a value as buying the two separately (haven't heard great things about bps rods)

Thank you for the help!! I think I might do this. I've always been a person to buy combos instead of separately. But now I know why my combos break every year or so (I am pretty rough on them though) is there any specific brands I should go for when buying separately? I know the brands quite well but like I said I usually buy combos.

#4 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

people all have their favourites, personally for spinning reels I like the Abu Garcia Cardinals, they range from 30-60$ depending on the model, and Mitchell makes great reels too (300 series, avocet gold is good for cheap).

Shimano I don't use myself but everybody seems to love, they have a HUGE selection of reels.

that's my opinion on reels in that price range

as for rods

I'm looking at rods around 80$ right now and at the top of my list are the Abu Garcia Veritas, and Fenwick HMX, haven't owned any higher end graphite rods though so I can't comment on either. I have a browning graphite rod and its cheap but much better/lighter than the fibreglass ugly stiks im used to

#5 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

also CT does have a lot of good rods/reels, but they're more expensive than sail/le barons, CT carries the Mitchell 300's I mentioned, as well as the Abu Garcia Veritas, and off the top of my head they have a wide selection of Shimano's.

#6 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

What size of rod do you want to use/need? Line test? What are you fishing for?

Bass Pro has an awesome line of rods I use heavily each year and have no problems at all with them and they are so dirt cheap... I have done the expensive rod "thing" for decades but this line of BP utilitarian rods I just love for river fishing.... I have the Red Tourny series that starts at 29 BUCKS!!!!!!! and these rods have been work horses for me.... 5 foot 6 and the 6 footers, my "drumsticks" are heavier 5 foot 6ers, one piece in this series. Their light 2 piece 5 foot 6er is a fave.

My experienced index finger makes up for any deficiency 29 bucks may bring, or not bring, to the table, but I love em.... IM7 graphite.

Reels, I have old school Shimanos (Saharas, Sadonas, Symetre etc) that just don't quit as well as the higher priced Quantums and just breaking in a Pflueger President to mix it up on the river this year.

You could slap together an awesome river combo for 90 bucks easy.

I owned every high end Canadian-made Fenwick in the book years back and once made my own rods, I now am happy with the above mentioned gear for the river fishing I do (for warmwater species).

Later, as you progress into the art of angling, you can, and will, "buy up". After 38 years of fishing I have come full circle lol :D

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

check out sales, i picked up a 6ft st croix triumph spinning rod for $60 2 years ago, they retail for 80, and are a nice rod with a 5 year warranty.

for reels, i personally prefer pflueger and shimano

#8 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Take at look at these: http://www.berkley-f...tning-rod-shock at The Sail Store they are 40-50.00.

also read some  review's on them. Very nice for the price. 

Reel I use Shimano Sadona 2500, very nice for the price around 65.00 at most stores. Again read reviews this reel always scores very high. http://fish.shimano..../Sedona_FB.html

So this setup would cost you about 120.00,  and add in some nice Power Pro line 30 pound   ;) and it would be under 150.00.

#9 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Take at look at these: http://www.berkley-f...tning-rod-shock at The Sail Store they are 40-50.00.
also read some review's on them. Very nice for the price.

Reel I use Shimano Sadona 2500, very nice for the price around 65.00 at most stores. Again read reviews this reel always scores very high. http://fish.shimano..../Sedona_FB.html

So this setup would cost you about 120.00, and add in some nice Power Pro line 30 pound ;) and it would be under 150.00.

This is great help I'm thinking of taking a trip up to SAIL tomorrow to check these out.

#10 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Bass Pro has an awesome line of rods I use heavily each year and have no problems at all with them and they are so dirt cheap... I have done the expensive rod "thing" for decades but this line of BP utilitarian rods I just love for river fishing.... I have the Red Tourny series that starts at 29 BUCKS!!!!!!! and these rods have been work horses for me.... 5 foot 6 and the 6 footers, my "drumsticks" are heavier 5 foot 6ers, one piece in this series. Their light 2 piece 5 foot 6er is a fave.

My experienced index finger makes up for any deficiency 29 bucks may bring, or not bring, to the table, but I love em.... IM7 graphite.

Reels, I have old school Shimanos (Saharas, Sadonas, Symetre etc) that just don't quit as well as the higher priced Quantums and just breaking in a Pflueger President to mix it up on the river this year.

I owned every high end Canadian-made Fenwick in the book years back and once made my own rods, I now am happy with the above mentioned gear for the river fishing I do (for warmwater species).

Later, as you progress into the art of angling, you can, and will, "buy up". After 38 years of fishing I have come full circle lol :D

Yes I enjoy Plueger as well they make quality reels. I usually use a 6ft rod I fish in rivers mostly and usually line my rod with 8lb mono. I mostly fish for bass and pickerel. Thanks for the help I'm taking a trip to SAIL tomorrow maybe Bass Pro aswell to look at those BP rods.

#11 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

i like these 2 from sail in that price range, for the second link you could even go up with a veritas if you can handle the white

http://www.sail.ca/e.../1790/eagle-gt/

and

http://www.sail.ca/e.../7780/vendetta/

#12 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

LOL!!!! I am still shaking my head at "29 bucks" !!!!! I think that line usually start at 39 bucks and that was a sale but I may be wrong, it may be 29 bucks all year!!!! You know for that little amount of money you get a very good rod that does the job.

#13 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

LOL!!!! I am still shaking my head at "29 bucks" !!!!! I think that line usually start at 39 bucks and that was a sale but I may be wrong, it may be 29 bucks all year!!!! You know for that little amount of money you get a very good rod that does the job.

HOLY MOLEY! Could it be!?! The intrepid explorer! :D

Welcome back brother! :D

This made my season!

Ohhh boy, what you've been up too?

#14 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

work work and more work ya nut!  :D  .... it is now time to fish, Noobs... amen brother!

#15 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

If you want a bullet proof combo for around one hundred get yourself a diawa Laguna and an ugly stik! Ugly stiks are ugly, they are not terribly sensitive, but they work, and they are darn near unbreakable. I have rods that cost me $30 and I have rods that cost me close to a grand (custom float rods). When I take my ATV into a back lake for a few days of camping and fishing from my float boat, it's generally a couple of ugly stick combos that go with me. You can beat the crap out of them and they keep on ticking! The Laguna is also an excellent value priced reel with a smooth drag and fairly reliable. Just my 2 bits. If you want a fancier rod, then I'd take a look at the fenwicks! Nice rods, especially the HMX.

#16 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

So after coming across a bit of extra cash I decides on my setup!!
For the reel: http://www.sail.ca/e...s/2110/supreme/
And for the rod: http://www.sail.ca/e.../rods/1789/hmx/

Thank you all for the great help.

Oh and the line I spooled on it is Berkley Nanofil

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

That's a good combo for the price. What are you targeting on that gear? I setup a fenwick(rod)-daiwa(reel) $50 & $30...and pretty much good for hunting resident trout , bass and small pike. Good luck and tight lines.

#18 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

That's a good combo for the price. What are you targeting on that gear? I setup a fenwick(rod)-daiwa(reel) $50 & $30...and pretty much good for hunting resident trout , bass and small pike. Good luck and tight lines.

I'm mostly targeting Bass and Pickerel but I'm sure this setup can keep up with some larger fish (Muskie, pike, steelhead)

#19 golfinseb

golfinseb

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

This is excellent advice. I too have come full circle over 25yrs of fishing. I would recomend that whatever you buy, you get a graphite rod, and for a reel, well anything will do, but I'd recomend a shimano. I've had many different reels over the years, and only the shimanos still work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spinning, Fishing, Reel, Rod, HELP, New, Suggestions, Combo