• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

so picked up some new top water lures for bass season. Got some poppers, a walker,skitter props and some buzz baits.DSCF0306_zps61b20f75.jpgDSCF0304_zps22fb6aaa.jpg

#2 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

oh my.... is that the Rebel Wee R i see..... bone white colour rocks, heck they all, chug a lug lug at night!!!!!

Maybe it is just me but the only way to fish largemouth is topwater... now topwater after dark well holy lordy make room for daddy!

#3 Ray angler

Ray angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

so picked up some new top water lures for bass season. Got some poppers, a walker,skitter props and some buzz baits.DSCF0306_zps61b20f75.jpgDSCF0304_zps22fb6aaa.jpg

Thanks for the post now I can find some of these for my adventures lol.....

#4 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

oh my.... is that the Rebel Wee R i see..... bone white colour rocks, heck they all, chug a lug lug at night!!!!!

Maybe it is just me but the only way to fish largemouth is topwater... now topwater after dark well holy lordy make room for daddy!

oh man dugger now you got me thinking about nailing a largie tossing one of those buzz baits after dark :D

#5 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

nice bro

#6 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Cool lures! I lost a black booyah pad crasher today... when my line broke from a nick... It was my lucky froggy...

#7 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

When would you guys say you have the most luck with top water baits? From frogs to spinners to poppers? Share some stories!

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

When would you guys say you have the most luck with top water baits? From frogs to spinners to poppers? Share some stories!

I only caught my first ever topwater bass last weekend. :P

I got to a local pond late in the afternoon around 2 and it was HOT! The pond is not that deep, 10 feet at the most and choked with weeds and lily pads from early June till September. I knew the bass would either be near the bottom in the deeper areas or hiding beneath the pads and weeds. I throw every lure I had, but since the pond was overrun with weeds,  it was mainly texas rigs, weedless wacky rigs, and topwater lures. I had (I lost it when my line broke from some idiot nicking my line, when he casted over me) an old but never used, black kuru colour booyah pad crasher hollow belly frog, that never caught me anything, but I ended up throwing it over some pads and using quite a slow retrieve when SPLASH!!!! Holy moley, I got a hit, in my panic I forgot to set the hook and he spits it, oh well, I least I know where they are hiding. I soon cast right back and work the frog over the same pads, it isn't long before I see the splash, 2 seconds later I feel the weight, set the hook hook and land my first ever topwater bass.

#9 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I got to a local pond late in the afternoon around 2 and it was HOT! The pond is not that deep, 10 feet at the most and choked with weeds and lily pads from early June till September. I knew the bass would either be near the bottom in the deeper areas or hiding beneath the pads and weeds. I throw every lure I had, but since the pond was overrun with weeds,  it was mainly texas rigs, weedless wacky rigs, and topwater lures. I had (I lost it when my line broke from some idiot nicking my line, when he casted over me) an old but never used, black kuru colour booyah pad crasher hollow belly frog, that never caught me anything, but I ended up throwing it over some pads and using quite a slow retrieve when SPLASH!!!! Holy moley, I got a hit, in my panic I forgot to set the hook and he spits it, oh well, I least I know where they are hiding. I soon cast right back and work the frog over the same pads, it isn't long before I see the splash, 2 seconds later I feel the weight, set the hook hook and land my first ever topwater bass.

Woah! Love those splashes! I only really use frogs when I top water fish BUT I do not enjoy it too much as I like to use Senkos or punch holes into the weeds with a texas jig set up. What pond do you fish if you dont mind me asking? Inbox me if you want to share some pond spots?

#10 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Woah! Love those splashes! I only really use frogs when I top water fish BUT I do not enjoy it too much as I like to use Senkos or punch holes into the weeds with a texas jig set up. What pond do you fish if you dont mind me asking? Inbox me if you want to share some pond spots?

It's pond 114 in the urban pond project for Toronto.

#11 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hey, dugger.... isn't the rebel deep wee r a crankbait? Have they changed names? I have one left from 25 years ago and if anyone knows where to get more, there's a couple panther martins in it for you...

I will try to upload a photo

#12 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Anyone have any of these or know where to get them? It was rebel's answer to the fat rap in the eighties, but plastic and a ball inside. One of the first "realistic" finishes.

This one probably has over 300 bass and pike on it.

#13 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

sweet fishingnoob, i too had my first two topwater lmb bite my buzz bait, was able to fight both but not able to land either one.Man they really slammed the buzz bait, when i was fighting them they jumped and got caught up in the weeds and came off :D

#14 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Here it is

Attached Images

• IMG_20130627_22565852.jpeg

#15 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hey, dugger.... isn't the rebel deep wee r a crankbait? Have they changed names? I have one left from 25 years ago and if anyone knows where to get more, there's a couple panther martins in it for you...

I will try to upload a photo

I thought it was a crankbait too, when I read the post. I think Dugger, meant rebel popper-r

Anyone have any of these or know where to get them? It was rebel's answer to the fat rap in the eighties, but plastic and a ball inside. One of the first "realistic" finishes.

This one probably has over 300 bass and pike on it.

You can find them online... take these sites with a grain of salt...

http://www.ebay.com/...erch,&D9376 New

http://www.overstock...innow_p/f93.htm

http://www.lurenet.c...nds/rebel-lures

Here it is

Looks good, all I would do is change the hooks! :D

sweet fishingnoob, i too had my first two topwater lmb bite my buzz bait, was able to fight both but not able to land either one.Man they really slammed the buzz bait, when i was fighting them they jumped and got caught up in the weeds and came off :D

Thanks Chris, ya, I set the hook hard and started walking backwards to keep the line tight, because I knew these bad boys would be gone to the weeds... :D It sure is exciting!

#16 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Sweeeeeet, noob... thanks...

Went through my surface tackle box... the plugs are called pop r(s), hence the confusion.

Thanks for the links.

And thank you, dugger, for making me track down my winningest single lure of all time.

#17 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Nice arsenal, top water and subsurface fishing for bass is a rush especially at night :ph34r: I sense some big bass photos being posted in the next few weeks.

#18 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Sweeeeeet, noob... thanks...

Went through my surface tackle box... the plugs are called pop r(s), hence the confusion.

Thanks for the links.

And thank you, dugger, for making me track down my winningest single lure of all time.

No worries. :D

#19 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Nice arsenal, top water and subsurface fishing for bass is a rush especially at night :ph34r: I sense some big bass photos being posted in the next few weeks.

thanks d man, can't wait to get a night in at my lmb spot, hopefully no too many folks around and it will be quiet until boom fish on :lol:

#20 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

where's the hoola popper and crazy crawler? you can't have a complete g.i. Joe action figure set without SGT. Slaughter and "snake eyes"...c'mon FC. lol