• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

So I was fishing in. A local park in my area I was fishing for panfish in particular so I hooked a worm and let the action begin! But on this trip I was catching quite a few Round Goby. Knowing that these are invasive species I grabbed a small plastic bag and put the Gobys I caught in the bag after killing them to throw them out when I'm done fishing. Anyways, as I was killing a goby (I step on them because I heard they carry bugs and parasites) a lady walks by and I guess it was the wrong time for this lady to walk by because she was wearing a PETA shirt (protection of ethical treatment of animals or something like that) and when she saw me she ran up to me and started screaming in my face how I was being cruel to fish that were to small to be "eaten" LOL! Anyways, it got pretty heated and there were 5 or 6 other people taking sides in this argument. I tryed to explain how they were invasive and the MNR states I must dispose of them. But she wouldn't undestand. After having enough I decided to leave the park and let things cool off. Some people really need to learn the facts before they judge your actions.
Anyways, tell me what you think I think I handled it pretty well and knew what I was doing. Anyone have any different opinions? Thanks

Tight Lines!!

Rob

#2 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

too bad you weren't wearing a nice fur hat as well..lol..you handled it as best you could as far as it seems---as long as you didn't punch her out or anything before you left..

#3 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

too bad you weren't wearing a nice fur hat as well..lol..you handled it as best you could as far as it seems---as long as you didn't punch her out or anything before you left..

Aha no violence whatsoever. And I might have to go purchase a fur hat incase this happens again LOL

#4 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Ignorance is just as contagious as it is dangerous.

You, my friend, did nothing wrong at all!

Cheers,

Cody

#5 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I tryed to explain how they were invasive and the MNR states I must dispose of them.

Rob

Her mind was made up and you were trying to confuse her with facts. No hope! Well done. 

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

You handled it like any sane angler would. Imagine if you have some panfish on a stringer on top of that.

#7 driftman

driftman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

to keep arguing with her would have been pointless, like knuguy said her mind was made up, you did great and she might actually read up on it a little.

#8 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

to keep arguing with her would have been pointless, like knuguy said her mind was made up, you did great and she might actually read up on it a little.

Thanks!! And hopefully she does read up on it before she confronts a person without knowing!

#9 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

You handled it like any sane angler would. Imagine if you have some panfish on a stringer on top of that.

Aha that could have ended differently...

#10 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Her mind was made up and you were trying to confuse her with facts. No hope! Well done.

Thanks man. I knew I was doing what was right!

#11 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ignorance is just as contagious as it is dangerous.

You, my friend, did nothing wrong at all!

Cheers,

Cody

Appreciate it! Hopefully she learns the rules and regulations.

#12 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I still say show up there with a fur hat and maybe a fur boa on(the manly kind)  maybe bring your dog -swat him with the newspaper a few times--almost forgot you gonna need some kind of lizard product shoes or boots---load it up and fish on my friend...lol

#13 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

poor women probably just needs to get laid--women often redirect their frustrations elsewhere--its often the uglier ones if you notice--HAHAH hairy pits--a bush on here like Edwards gardens and a PETA shirt fantastic...

#14 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

It was her opinion and nothing more. She probably goes for walks along rivers wearing her peta shirt looking for anglers to harass. Maybe explain to her what an invasive species is and the effect that they have on native species. Probably in one ear and out the other anyways. Personally I employ the spin in the air and bounce off the a rock technique, both methods would result in instant death and are more humaine than letting the fish suffocate on the bank.

#15 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I still say show up there with a fur hat and maybe a fur boa on(the manly kind)  maybe bring your dog -swat him with the newspaper a few times--almost forgot you gonna need some kind of lizard product shoes or boots---load it up and fish on my friend...lol

AHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!!! this is too funny!!

#16 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Found this on google.  Made from gobies.

post-3715-1232920476_thumb.jpg

#17 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

I wish I could vote this up 100 times!! This is great. aha

#18 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

fantastic...absolutely fantastic 

#19 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

That is great!

You should do that next time and hopefully she comes back around. Tell her you thought about what she said and you're trying to raise awareness for her cause.

#20 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

You handled it perfectly! If it was me I probably would have muttered every curse word ever said.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Round goby, Crazy lady, Fishing, Local park, Argument