Photo

A Very Special Lake: Best Bass Fishing Ever!

largemouth bass smallmouth bass bass

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

There is a Lake about an hour from Peterborough I use to fish in my college days. An old friend would come pick me up at 5am and we would get there around 6am. We would take an unnamed old dirt road with his truck and a 12 foot alumium boat tied down in the back. We had a little 4.5 hp Johnson motor and when we finally got to the lake we would plop the boat in the water, throw the motor on and away we would go. When we got there that early, the water would be dead calm and you could always see to the bottom. There are some weeds but few and far between. The lake is about 14-16 feet deep at its deepest. If you looked down while fishing, you could see the huge smallmouth and largemouth bass zigzagging through the weeds. We never caught small fish when we were there, everything we caught were lunkers. He was an older gentleman and would take me about twice a year and it's the best fishing I've ever done. Pound for pound Bass have the best fight known to man, I'd rather have a monster bass on than a 20 pound salmon any day. Anyhow, 15 years have passed and I just got back into fishing 2 years ago.This year I decided to take a drive up to this special lake to see how much development has happened there over the years. I was surprised to see that it's still relatively quiet there, there were maybe a dozen and a half cottages built around it but there were no boats on the lake. I used to catch crawfish the night before in the local streams in Peterborough and use those as bait, but I was young. I wonder how some crankbaits and spinners would do there now? Or maybe even some small frogs. Anyhow when I drove up there I couldn't get the car to go down the unnamed road but I know a truck would have no problem. I ended up taking a private fireroad to the lake just to take a gander. ;) I'm ready and willing to take another shot at this lake and hopefully 15 years hasn't changed much. If you have a truck and something we can throw in the water and a small motor, pm me and we can set a date and give it a shot. I am in Toronto but if you are closer to Peterborough, it's ok, I can drive to you and we can go from there. I do prefer to get there by 6am as the fish seem to be the hungriest until about 12 noon and then the action dies down some. Also the water is truly amazing at that time in the morning, you won't be disappointed.

Steve ;)