• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yesterday I went exploring the way, way north of a popular river in search of resident brooks and bows. I had passed by a deep pool that I always wanted to fish before, but never had gear on me.

Took my pin and 9'6 rod with some #0 spinners.

Nothing big, just creek chub (I think thats what they were?) But they were STEADY! Soon as my spinner hit the water it would be swarmed with 100 little chubs. I switched between drifting float with worms and spinners...same result.

2nak0h4.jpg

j5fo5g.jpg

Getting bored after exploring up and down of the river ( although picked up some gooood sports for future salmon and rainbow runs ) I tried to follow the river further up north in search of better fishing...

I took a wrong turn, that ended up being the best wrong turn I have ever taken!!!  I pulled up to make a U-turn and noticed a TINY pond...It looked at first as if it went on longer, so I got out of the car to explore....It turned out that it did not go any further...but...once I looked at the water...I wet my pants.

169l3lt.jpg

a3japz.jpg

epoyly.jpg

2iruqv7.jpg

fnu3oy.jpg

2j2vtk3.jpg

After just 30 minutes, I had landed 10 Bass on a tiny trout spinner at this RANDOM small pond that hold these monster fish. I mean...the pond was literally as big as a swimming pool (Olympic size) But all you could see was Bass EVERYWHERE!

Incredible end to my trip up north

#2 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Amazing!! Just hope no one else finds that spot and keeps the fish! :???:

#3 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Awesome, what a discovery! That last bass pic is a frickin' nice size for a small random pond. 

#4 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Cool, you're lucky you made that wrong turn, ended up finding a largemouth hotspot :) 

#5 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

sounds like a good time anyway thanks for posting and sharing, if it was chubs those things are crazy and the bass decent size for some random pond, crazy you just pull up to take a look and bass everywhere. B)

#6 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for your comments guys. I will be heading back there with some proper bass gear next time, instead of trout set up lol. Hoping to catch some more giants from this tiny, tiny pond

#7 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for your comments guys. I will be heading back there with some proper bass gear next time, instead of trout set up lol. Hoping to catch some more giants from this tiny, tiny pond

Those are some awesome BASS! Really fun sized! Reminds me of a pond near me. Aren't trying to call you out, but why are you not lipping the bass in the last photo?

#8 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

It goes to show that you never know what you will find... There are lots of little gems like this small pond that are often overlooked. The most bass I've ever caught in one day have come from ponds just like these -- ponds that you never thought would have anything in them worth fishing for. In fact, it was the discovery of ponds such as these that served as the impetus (searching for and exploring smaller, lesser known bodies of water that contain bass) to start OFF, as some of the original OFF members may recall.

Great post, thanks for sharing!

#9 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Mr Noob, glad to see ya back again!

Those are some nice pics, hope its not someones stocked pond lol  theres a beaver pond around where i live, maybe i'll have to check it out

#10 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Not liping the bass in the last photo because my spinner had some sharp thing on top and this bass was way too fidgety.

#11 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Not liping the bass in the last photo because my spinner had some sharp thing on top and this bass was way too fidgety.

Cool. Thanks, I won't lip a bass, if it has a few trebles in it's mouth. Too much chance for injury...

#12 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Mr Noob, glad to see ya back again!

Never gone, just taking a break. Waiting to see if things have changed from when I was last actively a member...

#13 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

I am planning a trip in mid July, been looking on fish online and google earth at lake about an hour north of sudbury, and I have 6 in mind to try out. going to take a canoe and a car up and cheak them out, brookies, walleye and Rainbows are my target, but pike and bass are good aswell 

#14 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Nice find and great catches!

You must share of this U-turn! My time is so concentrated now its ridculous. If you wanna fish forever stay single and have no kids!

#15 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

i miss chubbies... umm, the fish kind :shock:

we used to fish 12 Mile Creek just for Chubs with ultralight.... great report!