10 replies to this topic

#1 Juston.Mack

Juston.Mack

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hello, Everyone from the fishing forum,

My name is, Juston, I'm from Stoney Creek, Hamilton. Always been into fishing ever since I was a kid, but kinda got out of it for a while and now im finally getting back into it. I dont drive, but do a lot of biking, so getting to location within 50km from Hamilton isn't much of an issue. Just looking for some tips and advice, lures, baits, times of day for fishing and just a few general locations that anybody could help me out with. I have a spin reel from canadian tire and just picked up a Rapala Baitcaster today (which was a bit of a hassel the first time on the water), and some general spoons and minnows. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Juston.

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Welcome to the site! :D

I would try my hand at panfish if I were you. Check any of your local ponds, you could probably find one well within 50 km.

#3 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

I'd go jig those piers at the entrance to Hamilton Harbour. I hear of plenty of cool fish caught there of all kinds. Drop a twister and bounce it as you walk. The salmon will be off there in another 8 weeks (I can't believe i'm saying that... where the heck is summer). Cootes Paradise/the canal may be a bit of a haul for you. Alfie fishes that hard and knows the score there.

Binbrook Conservation Area is LOADED WITH CRAPPIES! Let alone bass and pike.....

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'd go jig those piers at the entrance to Hamilton Harbour. I hear of plenty of cool fish caught there of all kinds. Drop a twister and bounce it as you walk. The salmon will be off there in another 8 weeks (I can't believe i'm saying that... where the heck is summer). Cootes Paradise/the canal may be a bit of a haul for you. Alfie fishes that hard and knows the score there.

Binbrook Conservation Area is LOADED WITH CRAPPIES! Let alone bass and pike.....

Dugger, you seem to know every hotspot out there! Your the best.

#5 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

*huffs on nails and polishes them on lapel nonchalantly while leaning against streetlight in 1940s suit and tie with cool hat pulled down over the eyes*

you should see the ones I don't post publicly, von Noob

LOL!!!!!!!!

....good lordy I am losing it

#6 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

*huffs on nails and polishes them on lapel nonchalantly while leaning against streetlight in 1940s suit and tie with cool hat pulled down over the eyes*

you should see the ones I don't post publicly, von Noob

LOL!!!!!!!!

....good lordy I am losing it

:lol: You forgot the tooth pick in the corner of your mouth...

Reminds me of an irritated anus.

#7 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

LOL!!!!  ahhh the good times!

dang, I did miss the toothpick!

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

LOL!!!!  ahhh the good times!

dang, I did miss the toothpick!

Yup, that is the funniest thread on the site.

The toothpick is a must!

#9 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hey juston, welcome to OFF! Im in between dunville and smithville. Good luck with the baitcaster, take it slow, and you'll learn. If you use less than 3 spools of line because of massive birdsnests you will have done better than me lol

#10 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well I guess I should say welcome Juston. Dugger introduced us :lol: I do fish a spot at Cootes and a few other spots around the Harbor. Like yourself I don't drive, but will do what it takes to be fishing. Feel free to drop me a PM, maybe we can do something around here.

Btw Dugger, being a metal roofer, mostly. "Where the heck is summer?" I am going to hold you personally responsible if this summer turns out to be 1 of the hottest in recent memory.

Alfie.

#11 Juston.Mack

Juston.Mack

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for all the quick replied, and I appolgize for my late follow-up reply. I've went and checked out Binbrook a couple times, makes for a nice bike ride up centennial, and I've had some luck with a red rapala minnow, catching a few small, largemouth bass. Haven't been out in a week or so, but itching to get out soon. I've heard that salmon will be coming soon? When they do come, will fishing off the rocks around lake Ontario do me any luck in catching any, being that close to shore?

Catfish-- when I first got the baitcaster I had absolutely no idea the skill required to cast that thing, and I'd bought thick heavy line, 25 dollars. Within an hour or so, the entire spool was knotted completely. Since watching some youtube instructionals on the tightening of the spool and break and using the thumb on the line, its become a little easier. However, I've had a few times where I've got a little too confident with it too quickly, and loosened the spool and it nested on me right away, aha. Gotta take some time with it for sure!

--Juston

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie, new to fishing, looking for location