• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have been through every wader company under the sun. Obviously I was looking for that cheap alternative to a $500 pair of Simms. I am sick of the 1st trip leaks or the 3 month later leaks.

I am thinking about finally diving into a pair of Simms G3 guide stocking foot waders. At nearly $500 I hope to get many years out of them.

Where should I buy them? Any suggestions on other brands before I take the plunge? How long have your Simms lasted for?

#2 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I have the G3's  going on my fourth season.  I put them to the test hard every season as I bush whack through trails, kneel and sit on rocks, fish them in winter where they freeze and have not yet had a problem. I have also had a hook dislodge form a snag and embedd in my left leg.  It didnt even leak and has yet to.  They take a beating and last. IMO totally worth the price tag.   I can only speak from my experience. 

#3 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

im finally getting a pair this year. went thru 3 pairs of 200 dollar breathables last season, plus another 100 pair. my fishing partner went about the same as aknook, but got a leak. he sent them to simms and got them all fixed with new booties sewn on for no charge. $100 per year for waders seems pretty minimal imo.

(edit- i didnt pay for all the three pairs @ 200. streamside waders, bought 1 pair, and got 2 replacements on warranty , the second replacements were upgaded to a higher grade@ no charge)

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Do it.  I don't have personal experience with G3's but all my friends swear by them.  I used to rock cheap waders and they just kept falling apart.  Have a pair of SIMMS, FreeStones or BlackFoots?  The name escapes me but I have put a serious beating on them in the last couple years and they have held up just fine.

Spend the money right the first time and you'll save cashola in the long run.

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

I still own a pair of Simms Freestone waders that I bought last fall. It was probably one of the best fishing purchases I've ever made. I can imagine that the G3 is even better. 

#6 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

What store should I buy them from? Who has the best customer service? (In case I run into any issues)

#7 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

I have to pairs of g3s a guide pant and a full length wader I swear by them I put them through hell and back and never sprung a leak my guide pants are 4 seasons old and I put a lot of miles on them and hardly any wear as for where to get them go to Wilson's ether Toronto or Fergus store you will not regret it

#8 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

had freestones for 3 years, never had leaks. 

#9 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

i have heard good things about simms, the price tag scares me though, also check out william josephs waders

#10 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

I would think this thread goes in hand with:

So What Do You Do For A Living???

I know for myself I could not justify purchasing $500 waders.

#11 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have the freestone or blackfoot ones, and they have held up fine for one season so far. I wore them about 3 times a week from october to february and have had them out a fee times this spring summer with no issues.

I bush whacked, kneeled, slipped on rocks, and even had a hook stick in the lower leg but somehow it didn't even leak?

I can only imagine the G3's are bullet proof if my lower end Simms have stood up to everything I have thrown at them thus far.

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

I think im going the simms route at some point this summer as well. I have also went through too many waders though my last Bare neoprene waders did last a full season before leaking and they were only 100 bucks. It looks like the only big disadvantage to the freestones over the G3's is breathability since they also have the lifetime warranty so i'll probably go that route.

#13 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just bought a set of Bare neo's for $25. If they leak, so will the sellers windows.

#14 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

i would never wear someone elses neos. GROSS. 

#15 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

^
U'd be surprised what a budget will have you doing.

To each thier own, I am not the type to just put int he washing machine and wear em.

I have an appointment to have our couch and matress cleaned. Discussed the neo's with the company prior to making the appointment they are willing to clean, sanitized and deoderize.

For $25, to say that I can fish in colder waters if the opportunity presents itself to me its worth a shot.

I respect the fact that people think its gross, but we are closing on our second home so I need to cut corners when I can.

#16 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

just the neos are gnarly dude! really sweaty. i never meant any diseases but just the funk! like borrowing a jockstrap! nothing wrong with second hand gear man...

#17 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

GuitarBuildingAngler - any store will do, but from my experience most smaller shops will give you the best customer service.  Wilsons gets my vote for sure.  I've only dealt with the Queen St. shop and even though they look at my funny when I tell them I'm a pinner, they get most of my money because they are stand up dudes and the customer service is top notch.

You may want to keep you eyes open online.  A friend of mine picked up a pair of higher end SIMMS for 200 cheaper than average cost.  Website was selling off the rest of their inventory.

Reddington Sonic waders are getting awesome reviews and they are cheaper than SIMMS. 

The trend is obvious here - buy good quality and you wont regret it in the long run, in face, it will be cheaper.

#18 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

GuitarBuildingAngler - any store will do, but from my experience most smaller shops will give you the best customer service. Wilsons gets my vote for sure. I've only dealt with the Queen St. shop and even though they look at my funny when I tell them I'm a pinner, they get most of my money because they are stand up dudes and the customer service is top notch.

You may want to keep you eyes open online. A friend of mine picked up a pair of higher end SIMMS for 200 cheaper than average cost. Website was selling off the rest of their inventory.

Reddington Sonic waders are getting awesome reviews and they are cheaper than SIMMS.

The trend is obvious here - buy good quality and you wont regret it in the long run, in face, it will be cheaper.

I hear ya. I was going to go to Sail (being in Oshawa, it is close to me).
I am just afraid the customer service at Sail could be sh*t.

If I had an issue with the Simms G3's from the start (freak initial leaking), I don't want to pay to ship them back to Simms. I would rather just exchange them at the store.

Wilson's is just kind of far from me.

On a side note, should I get the normal G3's or the convertibles? I was thinking the convertibles.

#19 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

My guide pants are the convertibles I just never use them as a regular wader the suspenders are removable and aren't as good as the ones one the full length wader but I use them a lot in the winter too in fact there's video of me going over my waders to land a fish for some one it's a long story but its why I bought the full length wader last year they sit alittle higher then the convertibles do but I stil use both all the time and about the store ya you can get them at sail is I doubt they have the selection Wilson's does Wilson's prides it self in having the most stock of any fly shop in Canada and Simms has 22 different sizes of waders in there g3 line up I find most big box stores will only carry the most popular sizes just to say they Have Simms waders but that's my 2 cents just make sure you are sized right I wear a large long I could use a extra long but the LL fit better witch will help extend the life of the wader because there are no pressure points in the fabric or spots where it constenly tubs together

#20 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

I hear ya. I was going to go to Sail (being in Oshawa, it is close to me).
I am just afraid the customer service at Sail could be sh*t.

If I had an issue with the Simms G3's from the start (freak initial leaking), I don't want to pay to ship them back to Simms. I would rather just exchange them at the store.

Wilson's is just kind of far from me.

On a side note, should I get the normal G3's or the convertibles? I was thinking the convertibles.

CS at sail in oshawa is very good, the guys in the fishing department are friendly and will make suggestions, im a regular shopper there