37 replies to this topic

#1 NikkiNJ

NikkiNJ

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hello all,

I was planning a trip to lake ontario for my boy friend to go salmon fishing. We have never been there and its quite a long trip so I was wondering what is the best time of year to fish for salmon there.

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

the derby has already started. 40+ lbs fish was caught and it's in the first place now. 

#3 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

right now the fish are starting to school together, staging up by the rivers and r waiting for the cooler waters, over then next few weeks the fishing will pick up. by the middle of August it will be almost at the peak, hens will be looking to fill up on bait fish before spawning as will the males. come September they are going to be ready to enter the mouths of the rivers if water levels are up and cold they will be in the rivers mid sept.

if you plan a boat trip out on the lake the next 4-5 week will be good fishing, after that it all depends on the weather, rivers and temps. 

#4 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

right now the fish are starting to school together, staging up by the rivers and r waiting for the cooler waters, over then next few weeks the fishing will pick up. by the middle of August it will be almost at the peak, hens will be looking to fill up on bait fish before spawning as will the males. come September they are going to be ready to enter the mouths of the rivers if water levels are up and cold they will be in the rivers mid sept.

if you plan a boat trip out on the lake the next 4-5 week will be good fishing, after that it all depends on the weather, rivers and temps. 

Well stated, I totally agree with your opinion.

#5 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

YESSSSSS!

#6 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

we had a killer day on my buddy's charter boat last Friday, I think it should only be getting better from now until mid-August in the Lake. If you dont have plans already I can give you his contact information. We hit tons of fish in the 25-30lb range, no derby size fish but it was a blast. It was a good thing we were out on a big boat as I dont know how the guys in the 17' aluminum boats dealt with the 6-8' rollers all day long and the odd 10' roller came through as well. They were still catching fish so good on them I guess but I wouldnt want to be out there in that boat with those type of conditions.

If you are going out on Lake Ontario near Toronto watch out for East winds, they are deadly!

#7 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

giggity

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Now is the time to target salmon specially if you're going to book charters. they're stocking fat as much as possible to have healthy spawn. Take note After the peak subsides and they start their run upstream, their "diet" changes from bait fish to marshmellows & butts or anything that floats 1' - 3' off bottom...

#9 NikkiNJ

NikkiNJ

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thank you all so much! I booked a charter several months ago for August 17th and I just wanted to make sure it was a good time to go.

#10 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

NADO - can you pass along your buddy's charter info?  I'd always wanted to get out on a charter and catch the deep lake salmon.  Looking for a good steelhead guide if anyone knows of one as well.  I'm in the KW area.

Thanks!

#11 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

PM sent, as for steelhead Dozer on the forum can put you on lots of fish and his rates are great.

#12 richardjai

richardjai

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Can you link me the charters info too? im considering a trip for me and my dad

#13 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

im hearing a lot about charters, any one know a good decent priced one for 5-6 people feel free to pm me 

#14 Icehut

Icehut

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Typical Lake Ontario salmon charter, we're looking at what, about 5 bills plus tip???

So you want to bring four guys at least, which is actually pretty darn cheap when you think about how far a hundred and a quarter goes these days.

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Typical Lake Ontario salmon charter, we're looking at what, about 5 bills plus tip???

So you want to bring four guys at least, which is actually pretty darn cheap when you think about how far a hundred and a quarter goes these days.

nah...my buddy got one for 150 each for two people out of either newcastle or port hope

#16 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

#17 Ehamelin

Ehamelin

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

You should tip your mate. They work their butts off trying to find the right depth and lure presentation to catch you fish.

#18 Icehut

Icehut

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

I've only been guided a few times, but for the amount of knowledge I got in return a healthy tip was the easiest money I ever spent.

#19 zvonmonet

zvonmonet

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

interesting

#20 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: salmon, season, big fish, trolling