Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

kill'em to there dead :evil:

#22 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

A quick knife cut through the spine behind the head should do the trick. Since there's no way they'll survive it, might as well lip 'em and use them as bait. Might technically be illegal, since they'll live for a while, but think of it as a Schrödinger's cat scenario.

Goby's are not a baitfish and should not be used as such.

#23 Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey

Sunfish

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Goby's are not a baitfish and should not be used as such.

If it's dead, what's the matter? And if you have sliced through the spine right behind the head there's no way it will survive.

#24 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

If it's dead, what's the matter? And if you have sliced through the spine right behind the head there's no way it will survive.

They'll still fine you...

#25 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

I kill any goby I get from the islands (havnt seen them anywhere else)

HOWEVER.

Do it secretly or else you might get into fights with animal lovers. Had some people harassing me for this, even though I explained that its an invasive species.

I throw them against the ground really hard.

Whats better, killing the fish quickly and humanely or making a clueless animal lover passing by feel better?

Keep on doing what you are doing, smashing it under a rock will work well but pussyfooting around hitting it off the rock while holding its tail only draws out the process.

#26 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I could care less how you take the goby out of it's misery... as long as you keep it out of the water afterwards is what matters.

#27 Legend Boats

Legend Boats

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

The ministry is asking anglers to destroy and not released back in any waters. So that's what I would recommend. Just look at the cormorants and how they're destroying the fish populations, I bet many hunters and anglers would love to help control that population.

Henry Nguyen

Legend Boats

#28 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

The ministry is asking anglers to destroy and not released back in any waters. So that's what I would recommend. Just look at the cormorants and how they're destroying the fish populations, I bet many hunters and anglers would love to help control that population.

Henry Nguyen

Legend Boats

Those bastards are still protected!

#29 Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey

Sunfish

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Those bastards are still protected!

Because they're native, not introduced. Their explosive expansion during the past few decades is changing the ecosystem, but they will eventually reach equilibrium. In fact I've heard that in some areas they have already had a slight decline.

#30 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

pussyfooting around hitting it off the rock while holding its tail only draws out the process.

I can only smile at your ignorance.

#31 macdonjo

macdonjo

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Did you know the government will actually punish any minnow supplier who accidentally catches and sells gobys for bait? Unbelievable.