• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Made it out with by buddy Captain Hook a few weeks ago to fish the big water on Lake Ontario. It had been a few years since I had been out on the big water so needless to say I was pretty excited. Got to the parking lot at 6am and we were out on the water by 7am. The action started off pretty quickly with a hot fish that took out 650’ of line, at the beginning it felt like an obvious fish but half way through the fight as the line continued to peel out and feel like dead weight so we started wondering if we had hooked into a rope. The reel was getting close to the point of spooling so we opted to turn around and chase after what we thought was a rope. As we brought the line up it still felt like dead weight so we were sure it was a rope until it surfaced and we saw a tail sticking out of the water. I’m not sure if it got wrapped around something or what happened but it was a strange fight for sure. Unfortunately not a derby worthy fish as it was still under 30lbs.

As the morning went on the action continued to be fast and furious, at one point we had a double header going, I was fighting a big fish and the other rod went off, Paul set the hook and brought in a 8ish pound Jack within a few minutes. My fish was still taking out line so Paul set the other downrigger back down and halfway through my fight it went off again! Im not sure if that would be considered a triple header but its certainly better than a double! Lol. Paul had mentioned that this year class seems to be a much harder fighting class than most.

Fish landed ranged somewhere between 10 and 14 fish (we weren’t really keeping track) and another 4 or 5 lost on hooksets. 90% of the action was in the morning but we still managed a few in the afternoon during the slow period. If anyone is interested in a Lake O Charter Paul (Captain Hook / Xstream Fishing Team) is a great guy and is fun to be out on the water with, his boat/gear are top notch as well. PM me if you would like his contact info.

This is the only pic on my phone but I’ll add some more when I have a chance to get them off of the camera.

Chinny_zps8620d52a.jpg

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

nice fish... bet you can't wait until they get within paddling distance...

#3 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

great nado thanks for posting and sharing, from the fish in the pic looks like they were decent size :cool:

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

nice fish... bet you can't wait until they get within paddling distance...

Forget waiting, go out to them right now :lol:

Nice fish NADO, sounds like a great outing with lots of fish.

#5 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Nice fish NADO...

Must have been a hell of a day with the constant action...

#6 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Nice catch can't wait for them to head in closer to the docks. But in the meanwhile I'm going out to them hehehe

#7 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Wow, nice!  Thanks for posting.

#8 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks guys, cant wait for them to come in closer. Can you imagine a yak fisher winning the derby?? lol!

It sure was a great day, its nice when you don't know a thing about a type of fishing and someone just puts you on a ton of fish. Can't take credit for the fish but I sure did enjoy fighting them lol.

Some more pic's

P7121089_zpsd5b7d960.jpg

P7121088_zps34459df3.jpg

P7121104_zps3e960126.jpg

P7121109_zps83617aeb.jpg

P7121102_zpsf21c4034.jpg

P7121112_zpsfc19379e.jpg

#9 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for the report NADO

#10 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks River, it was a blast. You cant really tell from the pictures as most are taken closer to shore but the water was really rough that day with the East winds. We were dealing with 6-8’ rollers all day with the odd 10’ passing through. Good thing we were on a boat that could handle it, I felt bad for the guys out in the smaller boats. I thought I was pretty close to losing my lunch at one point when I went below to make some sandwiches. Just had to sit down for an hour or so and it passed lol. It was only my second time out on big water and the first time was calm so im still developing my sea legs.

Toronto-20130712-00419_zps8940e201.jpg

#11 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

My style of fishing. Shorts and T-shirts weather, balls deep, Rods tight, trolling around catching some rays :cool:

Nice going. Those lake O salmon dwarf the ones we have been getting lately.

Too bad summer is almost half way over.... :(

#12 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Those are some monster fish! Thanks for the report!

#13 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Those are some tanks NADO! Thanks for posting!

#14 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Great shots, man i'd love to try a salmon charter!  The fight must be amazing!  

#15 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Were your arms burning? Nice fish.What a great resource on our doorstep. Been deep sea fishing twice, down in Aruba we had 20' swells- everyone else was puking below deck I was drinking Budweiser on deck catching Mahi-Mahi. I felt a little green myself but soldiered on- I think the beer saved me. Never been on Lake Ontario