• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Trini proposed a pretty good option. Buy the headwaters and when they leak pay the difference to upgrade to G3's. I will have to look into the Freestones to see if that upgrade is possible as well.

If anyone is looking for some G4z's I found a killer deal on ebay, not sure if they are the same as the 2013 model but the price is much better than 799 +tax.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...#ht_1289wt_1238

Hmmmmm. That upgrade if needed is a good idea!

#22 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Check out this testing review, at one point down in the goretex vs other materials they state that goretex isnt the end all and be all of breathability. Im really starting to lean towards the Dan Baileys now with the welded seams, pockets and price point.

2013 Wader Shootout

http://www.yellowsto...belas-bootfoots

#23 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

their ratings are great--and goretex, from a guy who wears a boatload of it winter camping and such) is not the best it has flaws--they all do but it seems some of the "fake" goretex has employed newer technology--again a lot of marketing for sheep(us)

#24 driftman

driftman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

is the goretex just for breathability in the summer for the most part? If so i've used my Hodgeman $100 waders in the summer and was fine, a little sweaty but not bad at all. I am more concerned with standing waist deep in water in December.

NADO, if you don't want neoprene then gortex is what you want to be wearing in December. I have Freestones and G3's, Freestones are great starting from the fall salmon run to mid November and then it's gortex for me 

#25 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

goretex wicks away moisture in winter it really just prevent hypothermia--doesn't keep heat in..hence the reason people wear a goretex shell with warm stuff underneath--it is wind proof which makes it feel warm but other breathable materials do the same thing--truly I think if the simms didn't have to revenue share with goretex which is a trademarked brand their waders would not be priced like a Volvo..i am just saying there are options that zre just as good---minus the name.

#26 driftman

driftman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

goretex wicks away moisture in winter it really just prevent hypothermia--doesn't keep heat in..hence the reason people wear a goretex shell with warm stuff underneath--it is wind proof which makes it feel warm but other breathable materials do the same thing--truly I think if the simms didn't have to revenue share with goretex which is a trademarked brand their waders would not be priced like a Volvo..i am just saying there are options that zre just as good---minus the name.

remy, are you saying there are other options as far as brand goes or other options to goretex?

#27 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

both--other brans make good wders worth looking at--and goretex is overrated --many years of making people think its not only the best water proof breathable membrane but the only one that works which has made people swear by it---simms /gore contract must run in the millions--when people see gore they feel they are bombproof --there are a lot of other non gore materials that work just as good

#28 driftman

driftman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

both--other brans make good wders worth looking at--and goretex is overrated --many years of making people think its not only the best water proof breathable membrane but the only one that works which has made people swear by it---simms /gore contract must run in the millions--when people see gore they feel they are bombproof --there are a lot of other non gore materials that work just as good

my G3's do feel bombproof but I don't know of any other materials that will perform like goretex

#29 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

I was reading an article in the mag fly fisherman about waders and how they have evolved over the years. And yes Simms scored the best but reddington a scored well as will as the new orvis sliver sonic waders will high as well

#30 driftman

driftman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was reading an article in the mag fly fisherman about waders and how they have evolved over the years. And yes Simms scored the best but reddington a scored well as will as the new orvis sliver sonic waders will high as well

the reddington sonic zip front look good to me because of the price about $400 but I've seen so many pictures of them a sometimes they have a red zipper and sometimes a dark coloured zipper but even with a dark zipper they still have too much red for my liking, but $400 for a zip front is pretty good if the review is good

#31 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

Ya I agree if I were in the market or new waders I would wait till next year for Simms to re lunch the g3's and they have a new wader coming out as will they are bringing back the boot foot wader next year

#32 34ric

34ric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I just bought Orvis pack and travel sonic seam waders for $220 shipped. Cant wait to test them out this weeked! Orvis has a nice sale on their website. Their guide waders are selling for $198. Almost $200 off..

#33 driftman

driftman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

That is a pretty sweet sale that orvis has right now. 34ric I can't wait to get into waders again also, been almost 3 months

#34 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ended up going with the Dan Bailey EZ-Zip Guide's. Couldnt bring myself to go with the Simms Headwaters that were the same price after feeling how nice the Baileys felt. A good review in the 2013 Wader Shootout sealed the deal for me.

James’ Take:  
I have to agree with the old man, these waders were incredibly comfortable.  It all comes down the fabric used, which is incredibly light, flexible, and breathable.  They literally felt like I was wearing Nike Air wind pants.  I thought for sure my legs would come back bloody after the bushwacker test but to our amazement they held up great.  Also it was the only wader in the shootout that you never have to worry about losing your wader belt!  I’m always loosing those things – so for me, wearing this wader is often safer than others.  They have a nice Velcro waist adjustment on each side. The neoprene booties fit very well, and I would say second only to Simms in terms of a perfect non-bunched up fit.  With a little fine-tuning and detail work I think Dan Bailey is in the running for winning the next wader shootout.  A couple things to improve would be a better suspender system, (I like how the Simms cross in the back) . The current suspenders can twist on you in the back, which takes time to fix.  The Gravel guard straps can go away (mine did anyway when I pulled them clean off the wader by accident) but this doesn’t seem to be a big deal as they hook down to your wading shoes quite nicely.    A stretchy gravel guard would be better, as the current one is a little too short.  I like all the pocket options, which are similar to the G4’s, but the size of each pocket could be slightly larger.  Nice work fellas!    

George’s take:   
This was hands down the most comfortable wader we tested.   Walking around in the shop, it didn't even feel like I had waders on!  Amazing.   A nice compromise between breathability and durability, Dan Bailey waders were a very pleasant surprise.  The biggest improvement has been in the neoprene booties, which are now much more comfortable, and the second most comfortable behind Simms.  The wader pocket is smaller than the Simms but still very functional with several options and zippers for storage compartment.  Good hand warmer pockets.   The seams are located on the outside and middle thigh rather than anything on the inside of the legs.  These waders are built with a comfortable articulation in the legs, making for pleasant walking.    Even though these waders are very light in weight, fabric wise, they proved to be quite durable in our Bushwhacker test.

#35 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Ended up going with the Dan Bailey EZ-Zip Guide's. Couldnt bring myself to go with the Simms Headwaters that were the same price after feeling how nice the Baileys felt. A good review in the 2013 Wader Shootout sealed the deal for me.

Looks like a very good choice man!

#36 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Bushwacker test is pretty hilarious lol Dan Bailey results start at 8:45

http://www.youtube.c...qtYP9HeMM#at=16

#37 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Very interesting thread as I have just purchased some new waders myself.

I have a set of Simms bootfoot, a pair of Caddis stockingfoot (LeBaron sells them) and now a pair of LLBean.

The boot on the Simms failed at the seam between the sole and the boot. Returned them for replacement (they get to choose that option vs. repair). Replacement pair has developed the same problem after 2 years (right foot in same location).

The Caddis was fine for about 4 years, as they also were for a friend. The stocking foot seams weakened (see below).

After reading reviews (and phoning them) I purchased the LLBean Kennabec in medium. The body was good but the feet too small. I phoned again and they agree - send them back for large, no questions asked. I like their lifetime warrantee. The Simms lifetime is not really lifetime, they get to decide after one year if it is manufacturer or wear defect. If it is wear, you pay for repair.

A number of years ago I phone Cablelas to discuss wader purchase and was told the opinion that waders only last about 50 wearings (which was about what the Caddis provided). So I think the Simms G4s might be good for 50 bushwhacking outings, but would still wear out in the crotch or inside of knees after 50 anyway. My friend who has a pair for about 3 years hasn't had 50 wearings yet, and likes them.

There have been tests outlined on the web showing that Gortex or the other breathable membranes work about the same and last about the same, although Goretex is more expensive. If you know plumber’s tape (you wrap around a pipe before putting on the shower head or tap), I have been told that material is the same a Goretex, but Goretex comes in sheets. So it stands to reason that where it flexes in the same place constantly it will wear/crack.

The most important thing actually is that the waders fit - in the foot, in the inseam, not too much bulk, and with enough excess that when trying them on in the shop you can put your foot up on a chair seat like you would climbing out of a river.

My former Bass Pro waders (sold them off) had perfect feet but were 10 miles around the waist. The Caddis were good in the body but the feet were too long (same for my friend, which is where they wore out). The boots on the Simms fit wonderfully but the glue is apparently not appropriate. The LLBean feet are 'foot' shaped but the mediums were just a little tight. I have great hopes for the large because the body is still not too bulky.

I have on friend who has the new Redingtions and worn them a great deal - the still look new and he is very happy with them.

Hope this helps.