• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yesterday i went down to high park to fish and found hundreds of fish dead on the south side of the pond. Saw some people from the ministry there investigating.

There were pike, sunfish, bass, carp, etc. All lying dead on top of the water, next to the shore.

I talked to one of the ministry guys and he told me not to eat anything that comes out of the pond anymore because they dont know whats happening.

Anyone that went down there know what happened?

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

That's weird

#3 Tiago

Tiago

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Funny you made this thread, I was there yesterday early afternoon as well and I couldn't count the number of fish I saw dead on top of the water by the shore. I only saw Sunfish, had no clue there were Pike, Bass and Carp as well, at least this confirms those species really were present in there lol.

I thought, maybe some tool caught a couple and kept them until last minute and decided then to throw them back in, meanwhile it was too late, they were already dead.

However, I then saw TINY TINY sunfish too, which I had a hard time seeing anyone being able to catch even if they tried.

Some dude came by and told me the Conservation guys were there earlier trying to figure out what happened.

Definitely think someone put something in the water to cause them all to die, not sure what would cause this, but wow, they're all dead :S

Definitely please keep us updated if you find out anything else.

Before I post this, quick thought that comes to mind, maybe one of the MANY area residents and/or High Park regulars who were so unhappy with the anglers around there who leave such a mess and create hazards for wildlife, thought he/she would put an end to it. So many have been trying to ban fishing there for so long, I think at one point it was even temporarily banned? I dunno, only thing that comes to mind. No way did they just randomly all die.

#4 Tiago

Tiago

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

This was taken yesterday when I was there, sorry for the poor quality, I sent it to my email via my iPhone and chose "small"

259blw8.jpg

#5 Tiago

Tiago

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ah here's the bigger version

2ijj6oh.jpg

#6 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

Before I post this, quick thought that comes to mind, maybe one of the MANY area residents and/or High Park regulars who were so unhappy with the anglers around there who leave such a mess and create hazards for wildlife, thought he/she would put an end to it. So many have been trying to ban fishing there for so long, I think at one point it was even temporarily banned? I dunno, only thing that comes to mind. No way did they just randomly all die.

I really hope thats not the case. Poisoning the water and killing all the fish to stop fishing? That sounds like something only a mentally ill person would do. Not only would that kill fish, it will kill everything in the park.

I know some people took some fish from the pond on that day to eat. Hope they dont become ill or anything.

I never ate anything that came out of grenadier pond before, and Im glad. 

Will definitely update if I find out more.

#7 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-high-park.html

Rat poison found last month. Maybe rat poison again?

#8 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-high-park.html

Rat poison found last month. Maybe rat poison again?

Unlikely, in my opinion. I think it would require way more rat poison (than the "packet" mentioned in the article) to cause a fish die-off of this magnitude. I could be wrong.

#9 richardjai

richardjai

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I really hope thats not the case. Poisoning the water and killing all the fish to stop fishing? That sounds like something only a mentally ill person would do. Not only would that kill fish, it will kill everything in the park.

I know some people took some fish from the pond on that day to eat. Hope they dont become ill or anything.

I never ate anything that came out of grenadier pond before, and Im glad. 

Will definitely update if I find out more.

There are some extreme dumb people out there.I honestly wouldnt be surprised if some grumpy old fart just wanted all the fisherman to stay away from "his" pond.

For example this lady:

http://www.torontosu...-complain-about

Kate wise lives at the beaches, and complains abt people going to the beach in "her" neighbourhood.

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

uh oh...someone alert the white bucket asian fishermen.

wow.

#11 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Bummer.  This pond really got me started on fishing.  I would catch  a lot of nice sized bass there too. 

#12 Tiago

Tiago

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Any updates on this yet? Still can't find nay articles relating to this, and haven't yet passed by to check it out.

Yeah I hear a lot of people started off at GP, I'd go once in a while with a buddy just to cast for the hell of it, never caught anything there, although never used worms there, but it's always been a neat place to kill time.

#13 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Brutal, I loved fishing grenadier earlier in the summer, I hope the population isn't irreparably damaged. I'm sure mnr will stock it again, but still. darn shame.

#14 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

LOL... this really isn't a laughing matter but kind of explain why I didn't even get a nibble yesterday.

I had an all day training downtown on King St starting at 9am, 5 minutes away so I thought either sit in traffic for an hour and a half or leave an hour and a half early and do a bit of fishing. Easy decision. Since it was my first visit I decided to do a quick scout without the rod... but what I smelled changed my mind on bringing the rod. 

I walked in from the north (Wendigo Pond) and it smelled disgusting, I mean I know swamp smell and this wasn't it. It literally smelled like bleach or industrial cleaner. It smelled all the way down the creek until around when it actually merged into Grenadier. I saw one other guy fishing (Kind of looked like you Tiago), but did not see any dead fish... that being said I did not make it to the south shore. Entered the north and walked down the East

#15 Tiago

Tiago

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

lol BITW couldn't have been me, wasn't there at all yesterday. Passed by today however to check out the situation. Still saw a bunch of dead sunfish of all sizes moreso to the south side, but not one pike/bass/carp. Neither did I see either when I originally came across all of this on Monday. Maybe they were taken to run tests for what killed them?

usernamehere - where did you see these bass/pike/carp?

Also, even with the dead fish everywhere, two older guys were still fishing off the dock, and one actually caught a sunfish, the tiniest one I've ever seen, didn't even know those were capable of being caught.

Safe to say though the place reeked of poop.

#16 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

I havnt heard anything new. If it still smells like that, then its a good idea not to touch that pond for a while.

LOL... this really isn't a laughing matter but kind of explain why I didn't even get a nibble yesterday.

I had an all day training downtown on King St starting at 9am, 5 minutes away so I thought either sit in traffic for an hour and a half or leave an hour and a half early and do a bit of fishing. Easy decision. Since it was my first visit I decided to do a quick scout without the rod... but what I smelled changed my mind on bringing the rod. 

I walked in from the north (Wendigo Pond) and it smelled disgusting, I mean I know swamp smell and this wasn't it. It literally smelled like bleach or industrial cleaner. It smelled all the way down the creek until around when it actually merged into Grenadier. I saw one other guy fishing (Kind of looked like you Tiago), but did not see any dead fish... that being said I did not make it to the south shore. Entered the north and walked down the East

#17 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

lol BITW couldn't have been me, wasn't there at all yesterday. Passed by today however to check out the situation. Still saw a bunch of dead sunfish of all sizes moreso to the south side, but not one pike/bass/carp. Neither did I see either when I originally came across all of this on Monday. Maybe they were taken to run tests for what killed them?

usernamehere - where did you see these bass/pike/carp?

Also, even with the dead fish everywhere, two older guys were still fishing off the dock, and one actually caught a sunfish, the tiniest one I've ever seen, didn't even know those were capable of being caught.

Safe to say though the place reeked of poop.

The pike was at the southern end of the pond, right above Queensway. Kind of in the middle.

Carp was at the most south-eastern corner of the pond.

2 bass, 1 right below the fishing dock, 1 near the place where baby ducks/geese/swan hangs out. You know that place that looks like a mini beach? a few steps north there

#18 Tiago

Tiago

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

Ah I looked everywhere but the dock due to the anglers there, didn't see any, but if it was only one or two I may have missed it, in my head I imagined a bunch of each species all over.

#19 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Ah I looked everywhere but the dock due to the anglers there, didn't see any, but if it was only one or two I may have missed it, in my head I imagined a bunch of each species all over.

no no, its still vastly sunfish.

#20 Dee

Dee

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Yesterday i went down to high park to fish and found hundreds of fish dead on the south side of the pond. Saw some people from the ministry there investigating.

There were pike, sunfish, bass, carp, etc. All lying dead on top of the water, next to the shore.

I talked to one of the ministry guys and he told me not to eat anything that comes out of the pond anymore because they dont know whats happening.

Anyone that went down there know what happened?

i was walking around in high park today (the stench was unbelievable, i guess the dead fish have been there for at least a couple days). There are signs stating that some of the "dog strangling vines" were sprayed with a herbicide called glyphosate. A quick google search reveals glyphosate is toxic ("cide" things tend to be). It's more than likely that this stuff leached into the water when it rained. These signs appeared sometime in the last 2 weeks, i wonder if there is a correlation between when they sprayed and when dead fish started to appear. Theres a phone # on the signs, i think i'll give them a call when i get a chance. Fish dying - can't be good.