• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Went down to the Grand River today. Haven't been for a month and I noticed the water levels were really high for this time of year and the weather that we've had in the area. Whats the cause? Because the weather I remember having the past while has been quite nice. I just need some input on this. I want to try some fishing but i'm not sure how to approach this. i'm not from anywhere close to the Grand as i live around the Peterborough area and the waters are quite low. What lures and tactics should i go about doing? any feedback would be appreciated.

Tight Lines

Rob

#2 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

The main reason as far as I know is because the grca increased the flow out of shad darn In Fergus from around 4.5 cms to around 30 it's on the decline I'm hoping to fish around Fergus this week Wilson's web site updates the flows everyday it's under the fishing maps section

#3 Robert Pogue

Robert Pogue

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

The main reason as far as I know is because the grca increased the flow out of shad darn In Fergus from around 4.5 cms to around 30 it's on the decline I'm hoping to fish around Fergus this week Wilson's web site updates the flows everyday it's under the fishing maps section

That would make sense. Because I knew it wasn't high from the weather we've had lately. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

#4 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Not a problem I know it was around 25.5 today so it's on the way down hopefully able to fish this tues or wed

#5 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

I don't know about areas up-stream on the Grand, but here in Hamilton, not far from the Grand we had an awful lot of rain Friday nite. It wasn't even forecast, all that was called for was showers until 8 p.m. I know I closed my windows at 11 as things were starting to get wet. If areas like Caledonia, Brantford, Cambridge and K/W and further north got all that rain it would certainly contribute. As Madriver suggested there are a number of dams on the Grand from Dunnville all the way up to Belwood Lake which can also add to the water level.

I am a regular fisher on the Grand and can definitely say that this has been a strange year with wild fluctuations in water levels. I was unable to go yesterday, but a friend was at one of our regular spots and in an area that is usually land, the water came up to the bottom of his fishing vest !!

Alfie.

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

There was alot of rain a few days ago and what madriver said is neat. Haven't head that yet.

#7 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

I live in Preston in Cambridge. Speed River is normal, fished there last night behind Preston High School. So the Grand should be near normal. Heading there tomorrow behind Preston arena to try and target some bass.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grand, river, water levels, fishing, high, help, lures, tactics, grand river