• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

So i was just wondering if the salmon are running, will they run during the day if its raining out.  Or will they just wait till night time.  If yes what would be the best way to fish them( float,lures etc...)  I should know this but I only fish them once a year for 2-3 days and its always sunny and hot during the day. Thanks

#2 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

once they are in the rivers they wont leave alive. nothing stops them from doing what they need to do.... :huh:

they are on a mission, spawn then die. 

#3 Icehut

Icehut

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Definitely fish in the rain if you've got good gear. Less competition and the salmon should be less spooky. Lightning, though, gotta avoid that.

#4 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Sorry I guess I should have been a little clearer, I meant when they are staging at a mouth will they come in during the day if its raining or wait til dark to come into the trib. And if so should i be throwing lures or float fishing.  Thanks for the reply

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

That's a good question. In my experience, they tend to run at night right after a rain, but also early in the morning. During the peak, they'll be running upstream all day. 

#6 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

They sure will...when the water muddys up they will shoot up hugging the shoreline right below your feet. Salmon will do lots of moving all day long once that water gets cool enough and muddy.

#7 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

in my experience after it rains it gets cooler so right after a rain when the night temps are low is usually when they make their runs upstream, at the mouth try big cleos or 5 diamond spoons or any spoon in general to trigger a reaction strike. if theres a lot of people where your fishing, use a bit heavier line and use braid with a leader, just because some people dont want to reel in so you can get your fish out without tangling everyone and the braid can cut trough other lines, hope you can catch some dude good luck, tight lines CT

#8 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the input, very helpful.  I've never had any luck with spoons for any type of fish, so i got 2 questions.  Slow or fast retrieve and does it matter if you cast up stream or down stream.  With certain lures the current will affect the presentation. Thanks again

#9 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Generally spoons are thrown from the mouth of the river out into whatever lake you happen to be on.

#10 Icehut

Icehut

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Some say slow, some say fast, some say steady, some say lots of pauses. I say mix it up until you find out what works.

Common sense suggests imitating an injured baitfish; trollers report getting more hits when they turn or zig-zag, which will alter direction and speed of the lure.

Are fish up top, or hugging the bottom? Who knows for sure? I'd love to cruise the rivermouths with a fish finder and try to get a handle on exactly what the fish are doing.

Tons of theories out there, lots of internet experts, very little hard data. The guys that actually do the catching are actually out there doing the catching, not blabbing their sekrets on the interwebs.

#11 zvonmonet

zvonmonet

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

agreed, evertyone has their own method