• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I recently spooled up with 12lbs. Trilene XT and I originally had the label side up but was getting line twist so I decided to spool up the remaining line(about 3/4) with the label side down. Now I my line bounces off the spool really easily as soon as the line goes a little slack and I do have line twist. I've tried holding the line out and reeling it in under pressure many times and also immersed the spool in hot water but the problems still exist. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Btw, I don't have access to a boat so the boat method is out for me.

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

you can go in the park and drag the line through the grass, but if the spool is too full you will get same results.

after a number of casts the line will be twisted again....

move to braid..

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Line is to thick and to full for the reel... spooled on wrong... crappy line... old line... all factors to consider.

#4 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Thanks. Well the line from the same spool was spooled on two other reels about a year ago. The line functions well on the two other reels but is bouncing off this reel really easily, I believe I spooled it incorrectly.

#5 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

check the line ratings on the spool of the reel 

#6 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

check the line ratings on the spool of the reel 

It's rated for l0lbs. test-200 yards. It's a 4000 size reel, the same line has been put on a smaller reel without issues.

#7 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

#8 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I think wat causes your problems is too much line on the reel and the line didn't have enough tension when being spooled on.

When relining put a bit on rip 10 ft off with drag set high, tightens the spool on the reel.

Then continue on and only ever fill the reel 1/2 or maybe 2/3 anymore your asking for trouble.

And look at your reel make sure it can handle 12lb fine, small reels have hard times with heavier line.

Line twist wont make it pop off just make your line weaker and some lures run wrong!

#9 wade7575

wade7575

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

If you have line twist the best to get rid of it is to let your line out in some rapids or behind a boat for 2 to 4 minute's,I use Panther Martin's a lot and I can promise you that any Spinner bait like a Mepp's or Panther Martin will cause line twist a lot and everytime at the end of the day I try to let out the same amount and a bit more I was casting in fast moving water to pull the twist's out.

#10 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

If you have line twist the best to get rid of it is to let your line out in some rapids or behind a boat for 2 to 4 minute's,I use Panther Martin's a lot and I can promise you that any Spinner bait like a Mepp's or Panther Martin will cause line twist a lot and everytime at the end of the day I try to let out the same amount and a bit more I was casting in fast moving water to pull the twist's out.

he dosent have a boat 

#11 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the input, I ended up submersing my spool in really hot water from the tap for about 20 minutes and later went fishing with it and didn't incur any problems. I would recommend the hot water method for anyone with similar problems. 

#12 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for all the input, I ended up submersing my spool in really hot water from the tap for about 20 minutes and later went fishing with it and didn't incur any problems. I would recommend the hot water method for anyone with similar problems. 

or you could use braid  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  kidding, the hot water trick always works, the first time i accidentaly boiled water and ended up melting the line onto my spool, noobish mistake lol

#13 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

or you could use braid  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  kidding, the hot water trick always works, the first time i accidentaly boiled water and ended up melting the line onto my spool, noobish mistake lol

lol I just used the hottest tap water I could get.