14 replies to this topic

#1 Avid Angler

Avid Angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hey guys, just bought a new reel!
Got the shimano Sedona. Can't wait to try it out.
And also for the first time I got it spooled with braided line. Have been using mono my whole life. But after reading around here all summer, I'm taking the recommendation of many of you to fish with braid.

Now, my concern is that I got 20lb test line. My pole is rated 6-14lb I believe. Could be off by a couple lbs. a friend of mine told me that I will snap my pole if I pull too hard. Makes sense...
Do I just need to take it easy if I get a snag and cut my line rather than pulling hoping for a release on the snag?

Any advice would be great :)

Ps. My pole is Abu Garcia vendetta 7'

#2 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Don't worry, poles are able to withstand more  force than they are rated for and you will very rarely put that much pressure on your pole, your drag will kick in before your rod breaks unless you have your drag on the tightest, 20lb is a good line for that setup.

I've only ever broken one rod, and I put my rods through hell. With that being said you should always be careful with your rods but you're line will probably break before your rod does.

#3 Clab

Clab

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Set the drag on your reel correctly and you should never have a problem with a fish snapping your rod. As for snags I'd recommend wrapping your line around something like the soft handle on a pair of pliers or a cigarette lighter. Make sure your line doesnt slide off onto the metal of the pliers. Braid will be cut quickly by abrasion or sharp corners. Even a small stick of reasonable thickness would do. Ive used this method and straightened hooks. 85% of my snags come free provided you use strong knots. Bait to line or terminal tackle connections with a double palomar. Line to leader material (mono or flouro) improved Albright. Fluoro leaders to bait or terminal tackle I use a pitzen also called a Colby knot.

#4 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I use sufix 832 braid 20lb test on both my spinning rods and my baitcasting rod. I find the line is a lot more sensitive which I love you can really feel the bottom or any structure you are fishing around, but the major difference I found is there is no stretch in the line at all so when snagged on a rock or weed, a lot more tough to get it out! Over all I wouldnt go back, I will always use a braided line now. Braided line is also very hard to break so, yes be careful when you pull too hard on a snag because I have seen a pole break on braided line. Funny for me, not for my buddy with a broken rod in his hands standing in the middle of a river lol

#5 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Ps. My pole is Abu Garcia vendetta 7'

i got the 6'6. nice rod eh?

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

When you get a fish/snag just don't bend the rod into it too much. When you get a snag then just pull straight backwards and hope.

#7 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

I was gonna ask this very question a while ago, here what happened to me.

I recently had a ultralight rod break on me. I did have 10 lb braided on it.  Being new i took it back to FISHING WORLD to see what they could do. When i first went a lady asked me what she could do for me so i showed her my broken  rod which i bought from there the week before. first thing she said was there was nothing they could do fro me since i had braided line on the rod over the recommended strength. I explained to her how easily it snapped and thought it was defective( it snapped on a very weak teaser tug to see if it was a snag or not). She just looked at me blankly and said nothing we can do. I spent about 300 bucks in that place in the few weeks before so i wasn't too impressed that they were shrugging me off like it was nothing. The lady walks away and an other employee comes up and sees my broken rod, he says can i show you something so i'm like sure. He grabs a new rod (same rod as the one i broke) bends it from tip to handle and says these should never break (bending it 3-4 times from tip to handle) I'm like i know they shouldn't break as easily as this one did. the original lady comes back is sees this and goes to me well you over powered it by putting too high of a braided on it. I'm like ok but only reason i was putting braided on it was to help with setting the hook on an ultralight. SO the same guy that was just telling me  the rod should never break then tells me that ""oh ya if you go over the recommended line strength you break every rod in the store"".  Which i think is bs if the drag is set the line should break or the drag will click in long b4 the rod snaps. But what do i know. I eventually got my rod replaced after a lot of fussing but i doubt ill be buying any thing from that store again. 

SO to answer your question. I believe you should be fine long as your drag is set correctly and you are with in reason with the line you put on it.  I've had line on many of my rods over the  rod recommended strength  for over 30 years and up to last week have never had a problem. 

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

I was gonna ask this very question a while ago, here what happened to me.

I recently had a ultralight rod break on me. I did have 10 lb braided on it.  Being new i took it back to FISHING WORLD to see what they could do. When i first went a lady asked me what she could do for me so i showed her my broken  rod which i bought from there the week before. first thing she said was there was nothing they could do fro me since i had braided line on the rod over the recommended strength. I explained to her how easily it snapped and thought it was defective( it snapped on a very weak teaser tug to see if it was a snag or not). She just looked at me blankly and said nothing we can do. I spent about 300 bucks in that place in the few weeks before so i wasn't too impressed that they were shrugging me off like it was nothing. The lady walks away and an other employee comes up and sees my broken rod, he says can i show you something so i'm like sure. He grabs a new rod (same rod as the one i broke) bends it from tip to handle and says these should never break (bending it 3-4 times from tip to handle) I'm like i know they shouldn't break as easily as this one did. the original lady comes back is sees this and goes to me well you over powered it by putting too high of a braided on it. I'm like ok but only reason i was putting braided on it was to help with setting the hook on an ultralight. SO the same guy that was just telling me  the rod should never break then tells me that ""oh ya if you go over the recommended line strength you break every rod in the store"".  Which i think is bs if the drag is set the line should break or the drag will click in long b4 the rod snaps. But what do i know. I eventually got my rod replaced after a lot of fussing but i doubt ill be buying any thing from that store again. 

SO to answer your question. I believe you should be fine long as your drag is set correctly and you are with in reason with the line you put on it.  I've had line on many of my rods over the  rod recommended strength  for over 30 years and up to last week have never had a problem.

That's a neat story. Same here.

#9 Avid Angler

Avid Angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Lots of helpful feedback. Thanks everyone.
I've fished the combo for a couple weeks now. All seems okay. Quite a few birds nests built up though so I'm even considering going up to 30lb test for a thicker line.

#10 Avid Angler

Avid Angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

i got the 6'6. nice rod eh?

Great rod. Get lots of compliments on it as well.

#11 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

If you get snagged hold the line and pull the rod straight not like your fighting a fish, then the line will break not the rod

#12 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

If you get snagged hold the line and pull the rod straight not like your fighting a fish, then the line will break not the rod

When you get snagged, dont pull straight. Thats just going to drive the hook deeper into whatever is snagging it.

Always pull from a different angle, even if its just a step or 2 to the left/right.

#13 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

I fish with 65 lb braid, drag cranked down as tight as possible setting the hook through heavy heavy weeds pulling out bass and my rod is rated for 25 lb. 

It all depends on the rod and what your using it to do, Be more careful lure weight than line strength. Ive seen many of broken rod tips from chunking weights over the ratings

#14 Mr. Bassturd

Mr. Bassturd

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

tighten ur spool up and pull strait with out bending the rod slowly or if you can get on the opposite side of the snag and pull that works best 

#15 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I haven't read what others have been saying but just keep an eye on your drag and make sure its set nicely.