• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

you're right Bow Man a shoelace, beads and snap swivels from the dollar store maybe $3

d.i.y at its finest 

#22 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

has a funky new age look to it I'll say that

#23 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

vest is  good for concealing a varmint pistol too :cool:

#24 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

for those pesky line crossers

#25 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

#26 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I put everything in my vest. I don't understand this newschool anti-vest era. I think fanny packs/ lannies look as funny as they sound.

I use a vest as well. I have one of those intense, 100,000 pocket vests. It may get a little hot in the summer but it is crucial for major bushwacking trout hunting. All my flies, net, tippet, pliers, lunch and hydration pack in one place.

#27 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I used a vest for the first couple years I fly fished then it got to the pint where I was only using a couple fly boxes so I stopped bringing it as for tippet and stuff like that I put it in the pouch in my waders if I need to bring more stuff I have my back pack that I can bring in

#28 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

mad I want your jacket--just saying.

#29 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

lol i just put on a backpack and im all set, this is the one with a million pockets on the straps so you can always get what you need, pliers etc

#30 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Remy you just bought one

#31 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

vest is no good if you wear a wading jacket, pretty annoying having to take off your jacket any time you need a hook or something. I just use a sling along with the storage in my wading jacket and that does the trick. If I was looking for something for the commonly used items I would grab those clip on things with retractable cords, I would think the lanyard would just get in the way.

#32 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I know mines new--lets trade

#33 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

I know mines new--lets trade

Not a chance

#34 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

d a m n

#35 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

vest is no good if you wear a wading jacket, pretty annoying having to take off your jacket any time you need a hook or something. I just use a sling along with the storage in my wading jacket and that does the trick. If I was looking for something for the commonly used items I would grab those clip on things with retractable cords, I would think the lanyard would just get in the way.

i just bought 5 of those clip on things from the dollar store theyre great for knifes or pliers so they dont get lost 

#36 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I have a Mayfly lanyard and use it for two occasions. On their website you cannot see that the neck portion includes a foam band (shoelace inserted through) for a softer placement on the neck.

One is fishing in the summer, especially when I am fishing for only a couple of hours and am both close to the car (for other stuff like raingear), and have made a decision re. flies I am going to carry (two boxes - at most - in my shirt) and no vest. The other time is when I am in the float-tube and want my stuff handy, and the tube pockets take care of flies, water, etc.

Here is a design for making your own. There is a similar design that places smaller bead near the neck position so it is softer and more comfortable there. Obviously you can use a shoelace or other lacing and beads from the craft store to create your basic lanyard.

I will point out a few other things not obvious in previous comments or in the pictures.

A lanyard is basically a string with snap-swivels attached, separated by beads - you can personalize your own lanyard with bead choices. You can buy snap swivels and put on 5 or six as you choose.

At the bottom of the lanyard is a small clip like you might get on a name badge at work or at a conference. This clips to your shirt so the lanyard does not swing out when you lean forward.

Not obvious is the safety feature of a section or two of surgical tubing. In the design for making your own two ends of the string are inserted into the tubing. The Mayfly Co. puts a small section of tubing one each side, separating the 'working' section from the 'neck' section. The stubs of the string are jammed into the tubing, but if you fall in the river (or similar accident) and the lanyard happens to catch on something, the string will pop out of the lanyard and not strangle you.

My lanyard currently holds: tippet and whistle on one snap, floatant, nippers, line straightener, and leader straightener.

Hemostats hang from the suede patch, but also are connected with a zinger to the other side of the lanyard. At the bottom with the clip for my shirt I have also attached a small magnetic fly patch.

I have considered including a session on making lanyards at the fishing club, but I am not sure how many would be interested.

#37 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

here is a $98.00 lanyard

9E3LJFun_lg.jpg

Is that the Orvis one? I seem to remember seeing it in the catalog I got a while ago

#38 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

I am in with the fanny pack crew.....lol I use a William Joseph catalyst hip pack.  It holds everything in there.  As mentioned by others I too don't like things around my neck.  I pack it in the hip pack or in my wading jacket. 

#39 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have a Mayfly lanyard and use it for two occasions. On their website you cannot see that the neck portion includes a foam band (shoelace inserted through) for a softer placement on the neck.

One is fishing in the summer, especially when I am fishing for only a couple of hours and am both close to the car (for other stuff like raingear), and have made a decision re. flies I am going to carry (two boxes - at most - in my shirt) and no vest. The other time is when I am in the float-tube and want my stuff handy, and the tube pockets take care of flies, water, etc.

Here is [url="""]a design for making[/url] your own. There is a similar design that places smaller bead near the neck position so it is softer and more comfortable there. Obviously you can use a shoelace or other lacing and beads from the craft store to create your basic lanyard.

I will point out a few other things not obvious in previous comments or in the pictures.
A lanyard is basically a string with snap-swivels attached, separated by beads - you can personalize your own lanyard with bead choices. You can buy snap swivels and put on 5 or six as you choose.
At the bottom of the lanyard is a small clip like you might get on a name badge at work or at a conference. This clips to your shirt so the lanyard does not swing out when you lean forward.

Not obvious is the safety feature of a section or two of surgical tubing. In the design for making your own two ends of the string are inserted into the tubing. The Mayfly Co. puts a small section of tubing one each side, separating the 'working' section from the 'neck' section. The stubs of the string are jammed into the tubing, but if you fall in the river (or similar accident) and the lanyard happens to catch on something, the string will pop out of the lanyard and not strangle you.
My lanyard currently holds: tippet and whistle on one snap, floatant, nippers, line straightener, and leader straightener.
Hemostats hang from the suede patch, but also are connected with a zinger to the other side of the lanyard. At the bottom with the clip for my shirt I have also attached a small magnetic fly patch.

I have considered including a session on making lanyards at the fishing club, but I am not sure how many would be interested.

Just out of Curiosity what fishing club I'm thinking about joining one for something to do and maybe work on my tying

#40 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

I used to use a sling/waist pack but switched to a vest this year (G3 vest... XD). I gotta say the vest works alot better for me everything is easily acessable without having to rummage through a waist sack and i can wade out a bit deeper without having to worry about dunking my gear.

NADO I wear the vest on top of my wading jacket :P