• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I've seen a few people fishing in a body of water near the hwy 5 and appleby so i got curious.  Parked the car in the nearby wal-mart and grabbed my  lil ultralight rod with my trusty lil nano crank on it.  Walked over to the pond and took a few cast. Caught  6-7 lil tiny bass and one 2 pounder in about 20 minutes.....cool!!!  As I was walking out from the storm pond I noticed a sign that said no swimming, danger ect ect. and a subtle small no fishing symbol on it. Just wondering how enforced are these signs and is there any other storm ponds that hold fish in the area? (Burlington). That can be fished legit. 

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

They never really regulate them if it's small and you get caught just day my bad I didn't see it I won't next time. Works for me and I do t go back though

#3 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

always a nice feeling when you go to explore off the beaten path and catch something worthwhile. my friend lives right there and the first time i saw that pond i wondered if there were fish in there. but then i saw that sign. i figured burlington is like oakville and don't allow storm pond fishing but i can't confirm that. in mississauga some you can and some you can't. brampton is fair game.

also, what if you night time fish a pond like that? you'd be hardly noticeable, and have a better excuse for not seeing the sign.

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Congrats! 

To find other storm ponds that hold fish, look for storm ponds on google earth that are connected/adjacent to tributaries/river systems. In my experience, all of the storm ponds that had fish populations were indeed connected to larger river systems. 

As for legality, I've never seen a no fishing sign at any of the ponds I've fished, mind you I've never fished them out in Burlington. I know that it was perfectly legal in Markham and Vaughan as of the last time I fished them.

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Ponds on golf courses contain fish , but getting permission can be tricky.

#6 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Nice find man! Many storm ponds are stuffed full of fish, but unfortunanently many of the fish in them are small

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yup, there are a lot of ponds with outstanding numbers of carp/koi, the bass in them are usually pretty small though. Sounds like you found a good spot!

#8 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Ponds on golf courses contain fish , but getting permission can be tricky.

I've been kicked off a few golf courses growing up by trying their ponds. They just say you can't and send ya home of course i was like 15-16 when i did this. things might of changed. The pond in burlington springs is fulllll of bass, 2-5 pounders.  I hate golfing there cause when i get to certain holes i'm like god.. i wish i had a rod!!!

#9 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I've been kicked off a few golf courses growing up by trying their ponds. They just say you can't and send ya home of course i was like 15-16 when i did this. things might of changed. The pond in burlington springs is fulllll of bass, 2-5 pounders.  I hate golfing there cause when i get to certain holes i'm like god.. i wish i had a rod!!!

lol, i always beleive thats if its a natural creek river etc its government property and free for anyone to use, but whos gonna listen to a 14 year old ??

#10 Citybass

Citybass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Nice catch there are some storm water ponds just loaded with fish bass, perch, crappie, sunfish, pike, catfish and carp are all fish i have caught in storm water ponds good luck!

#11 fishing fr3ak

fishing fr3ak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Pike!!! really? Where are these storm ponds with pike in them..... i gotta  know

#12 Citybass

Citybass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Fishing fr3ak sorry cant tell lol but if you keep searching around like i did you will find one

#13 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Yep I know of a storm water pond that has pike in it..I've seen people pull a couple of pike out, but I have yet to get a pike out of there myself

#14 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

i have had no problems fishing Storm ponds here in Vaughan... But they make them into park areas with trails here, they're usually full of bass, goldfish,carp, sunfish and bullheads.  Alot of them aren't connected to anything at all, and still hold fish, most likely by human introduction, or by waterfowl transferring fish eggs... posted a few outing on my blog.

http://fishinenvy.wordpress.com/

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

lol, i always beleive thats if its a natural creek river etc its government property and free for anyone to use, but whos gonna listen to a 14 year old ??

What you believe is wrong...the land under the water is still private property if it's running through a private golf course. They might cut you some slack for being 14 though but it is what it is. I use to think the same way but what it is now makes more sense...at least to me.

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

i have had no problems fishing Storm ponds here in Vaughan... But they make them into park areas with trails here, they're usually full of bass, goldfish,carp, sunfish and bullheads.  Alot of them aren't connected to anything at all, and still hold fish, most likely by human introduction, or by waterfowl transferring fish eggs... posted a few outing on my blog.

http://fishinenvy.wordpress.com/

same with Markham area. It could be tricky though. An angler told me once that someone called the cops on him and the reason was disturbance...apparently the day prior a few other anglers were horsing around at the same time and were noisy.

#17 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

What you believe is wrong...the land under the water is still private property if it's running through a private golf course. They might cut you some slack for being 14 though but it is what it is. I use to think the same way but what it is now makes more sense...at least to me.

ya guess you can't argue with that logic, some of the private course guys are nice and let you fish after hours, happened only once to me

#18 ShouldaUsedaLiter

ShouldaUsedaLiter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

The storm pond I usually fish Has Bass, Sunfish, Catfish and Carp. I doubt there are any pike. The White bucket fishermen have been killing it and my last few outings I have been skunked. Im sure it will be fished out real soon.

#19 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

The storm pond I usually fish Has Bass, Sunfish, Catfish and Carp. I doubt there are any pike. The White bucket fishermen have been killing it and my last few outings I have been skunked. Im sure it will be fished out real soon.

Same with the one I visit.

#20 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

I had actually never thought about them holding fish...and then last night, I'm passing one and I see a big splash. It's totally land locked so I have no idea how fish would have gotten in there. I may have to toss my rod in the car and find out what made that splash!