15 replies to this topic

#1 Got Hooked

Got Hooked

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

I booked a campsite at Sauble Falls PP for couple of days mid next week and the campsite I booked is right off the sauble river. Looking at the camp map, it looks like I should be able to fish right off my camp and wondering how the fishing is in that arrea at this time of the year. Coming 2 days of 10-15mm rain on Monday-Tuesday should increase the water level a bit.

I hear saugeen offers better fishing opportunity so any info on that as to where exactly to fish there and what to expect now would be great. I have lot of things to pack for 2 days of camping so carrying live bait would be last thing on my mind.

Any info on location, bait, fishing map, what to expect etc would be great. Thanks.

#2 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'll be up there thursday as well, the rain should bring some salmon in, we'll just have to see :)

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

careful where you fish at sauble falls.....there are regulations about certain stretches of the river.....and watch for bears

#4 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

careful where you fish at sauble falls.....there are regulations about certain stretches of the river.....and watch for bears

Bears??? Lol.

Alfie.

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Bears??? Lol.

Alfie.

yes bears....i have seen the falls closed by park officials because of a black bear standing in the middle of the falls catching salmon,  especially since they're getting ready for hibernation

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Can you explain where the stretches are? Iooked at the regs but couldn't find anything...

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Can you explain where the stretches are? Iooked at the regs but couldn't find anything...

the falls themselves...theres a wire strung across the river to mark the boundary of the no fishing zone

#9 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hooked what campground did you book in or what campsite is it, on the west side you could have a hundred foot drop down to the water.

There are several places close to the river to buy bait but if it is anything like the spring opener they sold out of salmon eggs quickly but worms and a few lures were still available. If I was you I would bring it with you there are plenty of places to stop on the way.
The river was really high at the opener and so a lot of the usual good spots were under water and so it wasnt possible for people to fish there. So the other spots were shoulder to shoulder and there were guys coming into the campground and fishing in the few spots above the falls and people who had rented campsites on the water were pissed because they were forced to fish in spots that had trees overhanging and almost every cast they were getting hung up.

I went before light and on a few times I got squeezed out every time I turned my back to bait a hook or fix a tangle. I eventually gave up and left.
Good luck

[q2uote name="Got Hooked" post="279666" timestamp="1377457295"]Hi,

I booked a campsite at Sauble Falls PP for couple of days mid next week and the campsite I booked is right off the sauble river. Looking at the camp map, it looks like I should be able to fish right off my camp and wondering how the fishing is in that arrea at this time of the year. Coming 2 days of 10-15mm rain on Monday-Tuesday should increase the water level a bit.

I hear saugeen offers better fishing opportunity so any info on that as to where exactly to fish there and what to expect now would be great. I have lot of things to pack for 2 days of camping so carrying live bait would be last thing on my mind.

Any info on location, bait, fishing map, what to expect etc would be great. Thanks.[/quote]

#10 Got Hooked

Got Hooked

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hooked what campground did you book in or what campsite is it, on the west side you could have a hundred foot drop down to the water.

i booked the east campground, one of those on the east along the river. i wanted to book one on the west as it is radio free zone but the privacy on those west camp sites is very poor so i went with one on the east side. looking at the picture on the parks ontario reservation site, i see the river through the trees so not sure how accessable the water is from my camp. will have to see. if not, i will have to walk around to find a good fishing spot. i will probably try out the saugeen as well to see if i get any better luck there. this area is completely new to me as i have never been there before so not sure how the fishing will turn out at the end.

and if i see a bear, i will take a picture and post it here lol

#11 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

The East campingground is better imo because of several reasons, you will see why when you are there. The east camp is above the falls and ive seen big rainbows consistantly taken on cleos but when there are a lot of people on the banks the fish spook easily. Ive seen it get pitch black when the sun goes down and with all the trees there you dont even get much light from the moon or stars so watch where you step that you dont end up in the river. I seldom fish when its that dark as most of the time I'm on my own and if I take a tumble then there is no one to help me if you get into difficulty. If you fish at the campsite then it should be fine as the camp hosts trailer is right there when its dark should you be fishing alone.
In fact one of the hosts used tho shout on me to help him with a net as the bank I quite high there and its easier if you have someone netting for you.
Below the falls is different depending on the water levels you can wade in places and landing your fish is easier.

By the way there is no cable across the river below the falls but there are poles where it used to be along with the signs. Above the fallls on the other side of the bride the cable is there decorated with a variety of floats, lures and lengths of fishing line.

By the way the park seems to be fully booked atleast for trailers etc

Good luck

#12 Got Hooked

Got Hooked

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

thanks Ronnie. you are the second person who said east campground is better so looks like i made a right choice.

you are right. the height of the campground can make it a bit harder to fish and net (that is if i end up catching anything net worthy). unless there is a easy way down from the camp site. will just have to see when i'm there. i would love to fish at night so i might have to get a long piece of rope to tie one end to the tree and other end in my waste to that i can pull me out of the water in case if i fall lol

btw, not sure when you were looking for what date but i see there are still few spots vacant for both trailers and tents this week.

#13 YYZ

YYZ

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:52 PM

Hello,

I am visiting this place for the salmon run this month or next and was wondering when exactly does the salmon run start this location by the falls?

Anyone have any idea as to when or is it a luck thing and if you are lucky you will see them run up the river or if not then you would not see them 😟

Thanks guys

#14 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

Yea keep an eye out for those black bears and every Friday night watch out for the Cougars.

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

Yea keep an eye out for those black bears and every Friday night watch out for the Cougars.

rod bunnies.
Friend at work has cottage at Sauble.
Quite a few bears around.

#16 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hello,

I am visiting this place for the salmon run this month or next and was wondering when exactly does the salmon run start this location by the falls?

Anyone have any idea as to when or is it a luck thing and if you are lucky you will see them run up the river or if not then you would not see them 😟

Thanks guys

Sorry, you missed it. The run was exactly Sept 12 at 9.12 p.m. Lol.
Like us anglers, you just have to do your leg work and hope you see them. Anytime in the next month they could be running. Your best chance to see them is at rapids or the falls where you may see them trying to swim upstream.
Agreed about the cougars hanging around the drop offs around the sandbars :)

Alfie.